On Feb 21 21:27, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > For some reason the original mail didn't make it to the list. > > I assume this is because the mail body contains raw email addresses. > Can you please filter them out before sending? Thanks! > > On Feb 21 12:47, Pierre A. Humblet wrote: > > > -----Original Message----- > > > From: cygwin-apps-owner[...] > > > On Behalf Of Corinna Vinschen > > > Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2014 14:38 > > > To: cygwin-apps[...] > > > > > > Hi guys, > > > > > > > > > I just uploaded the new getent package and sent the announcement, > > > > > > I'm repeating myself here because this is really important and I'm not sure > > > everybody on this list reads the cygwin and cygwin-announce lists. > > > > > > In short, we want to get rid of the requirement to maintain /etc/passwd and > > > /etc/group files, per http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-02/msg00306.html > > > > > > In future, tools and scripts, especially service installation helper scripts like > > > my ssh-host-config, must not rely on being able to grep user and group > > > information from /etc/passwd and /etc/group. > > > > > > Rather, the scripts should be changed to use the getent tool as soon as > > > possible. Usage for checking passwd: > > > > > > $ getent passwd > > > > > > I'd like to ask all maintainers providing such scripts, including myself, to look > > > into their packages and fix them to use the getent tool. > > > > > > > Corinna, > > > > For packages such as exim we need to find the uid of System and of Administrator, which the user can set any which way in passwd. > > So we lookup the SID (not the username) to get the uid (or gid). > > The SID of the administrator or the SID of the administrors group? > The SID of the local administrator makes only marginal sense to me. > What do you need it for? > > > Is there an equivalent mechanism using getent ? > > Else, could Cygwin disregard the passwd entries for these 2 users and use only the fixed values determined by the mapping from Windows? > > You should not have to expect a name change for the SYSTEM and the > Administrators account. It should be entirely sufficient to check for > the user Administrator and the user SYSTEM or +SYSTEM. If you really > want to check by SID, feel free to enumerate all accounts by just > omitting the username and scan for the SID you're looking for: > > $ getent passwd | grep ',S-1-5-32-544:' > > $ getent group | grep ':S-1-5-18:' Btw., the uids and gids are fixed values in the new model and they are probably never changed by most users of /etc/passwd and /etc/group either. I think it's perfectly sensible to check for uid 18 when looking for system, for instance: $ getent passwd 18 +SYSTEM:*:18:18:U-NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM,S-1-5-18:/home/SYSTEM:/bin/bash $ getent passwd 544 +Administrators:*:544:513:U-BUILTIN\Administrators,S-1-5-32-544:/home/Administrators:/bin/bash Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat