On Feb 21 22:10, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > On Feb 21 21:27, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > > On Feb 21 12:47, Pierre A. Humblet wrote: > > > For packages such as exim we need to find the uid of System and of Administrator, which the user can set any which way in passwd. > > > So we lookup the SID (not the username) to get the uid (or gid). > > > > The SID of the administrator or the SID of the administrors group? > > The SID of the local administrator makes only marginal sense to me. > > What do you need it for? > > > > > Is there an equivalent mechanism using getent ? > > > Else, could Cygwin disregard the passwd entries for these 2 users and use only the fixed values determined by the mapping from Windows? > > > > You should not have to expect a name change for the SYSTEM and the > > Administrators account. It should be entirely sufficient to check for > > the user Administrator and the user SYSTEM or +SYSTEM. If you really > > want to check by SID, feel free to enumerate all accounts by just > > omitting the username and scan for the SID you're looking for: > > > > $ getent passwd | grep ',S-1-5-32-544:' > > > > $ getent group | grep ':S-1-5-18:' > > Btw., the uids and gids are fixed values in the new model and they are > probably never changed by most users of /etc/passwd and /etc/group > either. I think it's perfectly sensible to check for uid 18 when > looking for system, for instance: > > $ getent passwd 18 > +SYSTEM:*:18:18:U-NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM,S-1-5-18:/home/SYSTEM:/bin/bash > $ getent passwd 544 > +Administrators:*:544:513:U-BUILTIN\Administrators,S-1-5-32-544:/home/Administrators:/bin/bash Btw., ssh-host-config is using the value 544 to chgrp /var/empty for many years already, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat