public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ATTN maintainer] rcs
@ 2014-06-29 18:14 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-06-29 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I've developed a patch for the infamous and two-year-old rcs bug that
destroys data, based on the analysis by Peter Wagemans and an earlier
demonstration script by Don Hatch.  The patch has been sent upstream,
but there was no reaction for the last week:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.rcs.bugs/2772

I have compiled test packages for both architectures including this
patch.

# The first line sets up shell variable wget, to be used by all later lines
# simply paste into the shell from here
wget="wget -rxnH http://cygwin.stromeko.net/x86_64/release/"
$wget/rcs/rcs-5.9.2-1-src.tar.xz
$wget/rcs/rcs-5.9.2-1.tar.xz
$wget/rcs/setup.hint
$wget/rcs/rcs-debuginfo/rcs-debuginfo-5.9.2-1.tar.xz
$wget/rcs/rcs-debuginfo/setup.hint

wget="wget -rxnH http://cygwin.stromeko.net/x86/release/"
$wget/rcs/rcs-5.9.2-1-src.tar.xz
$wget/rcs/rcs-5.9.2-1.tar.xz
$wget/rcs/setup.hint
$wget/rcs/rcs-debuginfo/rcs-debuginfo-5.9.2-1.tar.xz
$wget/rcs/rcs-debuginfo/setup.hint

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: [ATTN maintainer] rcs
@ 2014-07-03 10:53 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-07-03 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Dr. Volker Zell

On Jun 29 20:14, Achim Gratz wrote:

> I've developed a patch for the infamous and two-year-old rcs bug that
> destroys data, based on the analysis by Peter Wagemans and an earlier
> demonstration script by Don Hatch.  The patch has been sent upstream,
> but there was no reaction for the last week:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.rcs.bugs/2772
>
> I have compiled test packages for both architectures including this
> patch.
>
> # The first line sets up shell variable wget, to be used by all later lines
> # simply paste into the shell from here
> wget="wget -rxnH http://cygwin.stromeko.net/x86_64/release/"
> $wget/rcs/rcs-5.9.2-1-src.tar.xz
> $wget/rcs/rcs-5.9.2-1.tar.xz
> $wget/rcs/setup.hint
> $wget/rcs/rcs-debuginfo/rcs-debuginfo-5.9.2-1.tar.xz
> $wget/rcs/rcs-debuginfo/setup.hint
>
> # The first line sets up shell variable wget, to be used by all later lines
> # simply paste into the shell from here
> wget="wget -rxnH http://cygwin.stromeko.net/x86/release/"
> $wget/rcs/rcs-5.9.2-1-src.tar.xz
> $wget/rcs/rcs-5.9.2-1.tar.xz
> $wget/rcs/setup.hint
> $wget/rcs/rcs-debuginfo/rcs-debuginfo-5.9.2-1.tar.xz
> $wget/rcs/rcs-debuginfo/setup.hint

Volker was supposed to be abroad until end of June.  Are you back
Volker?  Any spare cycles to have a look?

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: [ATTN maintainer] rcs
@ 2014-07-03 13:10   ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2014-07-03 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Dr. Volker Zell

    > On Jun 29 20:14, Achim Gratz wrote:
    >>
    >> I've developed a patch for the infamous and two-year-old rcs bug that
    >> destroys data, based on the analysis by Peter Wagemans and an earlier
    >> demonstration script by Don Hatch.  The patch has been sent upstream,
    >> but there was no reaction for the last week:
    >>
    >> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.rcs.bugs/2772
    >>
    >> I have compiled test packages for both architectures including this
    >> patch.
    >>
    >> # The first line sets up shell variable wget, to be used by all later lines
    >> # simply paste into the shell from here
    >> wget="wget -rxnH http://cygwin.stromeko.net/x86_64/release/"
    >> $wget/rcs/rcs-5.9.2-1-src.tar.xz
    >> $wget/rcs/rcs-5.9.2-1.tar.xz
    >> $wget/rcs/setup.hint
    >> $wget/rcs/rcs-debuginfo/rcs-debuginfo-5.9.2-1.tar.xz
    >> $wget/rcs/rcs-debuginfo/setup.hint
    >>
    >> # The first line sets up shell variable wget, to be used by all later lines
    >> # simply paste into the shell from here
    >> wget="wget -rxnH http://cygwin.stromeko.net/x86/release/"
    >> $wget/rcs/rcs-5.9.2-1-src.tar.xz
    >> $wget/rcs/rcs-5.9.2-1.tar.xz
    >> $wget/rcs/setup.hint
    >> $wget/rcs/rcs-debuginfo/rcs-debuginfo-5.9.2-1.tar.xz
    >> $wget/rcs/rcs-debuginfo/setup.hint

    > Volker was supposed to be abroad until end of June.  Are you back
    > Volker?  Any spare cycles to have a look?

Hi Corinna

Yes, just 2 days ago, and I have to catch up with real work again. It
also looks like I can't do any cygwin work until begin if august, sorry.

It would be nice if Achim takes over rcs, as I don't use it anymore
these days. It's already cygported...

    > Thanks,
    > Corinna

Thanks
  Volker

* Re: [ATTN maintainer] rcs
@ 2014-07-03 14:25     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-07-03 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jul  3 15:10, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

>     > On Jun 29 20:14, Achim Gratz wrote:
>     >>
>     >> I've developed a patch for the infamous and two-year-old rcs bug that
>     >> destroys data, based on the analysis by Peter Wagemans and an earlier
>     >> demonstration script by Don Hatch.  The patch has been sent upstream,
>     >> but there was no reaction for the last week:
>     >>
>     >> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.rcs.bugs/2772
>     >>
>     >> I have compiled test packages for both architectures including this
>     >> patch.
>     >>
>     >> # The first line sets up shell variable wget, to be used by all later lines
>     >> # simply paste into the shell from here
>     >> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>     >> wget="wget -rxnH http://cygwin.stromeko.net/x86_64/release/"
>     >> $wget/rcs/rcs-5.9.2-1-src.tar.xz
>     >> $wget/rcs/rcs-5.9.2-1.tar.xz
>     >> $wget/rcs/setup.hint
>     >> $wget/rcs/rcs-debuginfo/rcs-debuginfo-5.9.2-1.tar.xz
>     >> $wget/rcs/rcs-debuginfo/setup.hint
>     >> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>     >>
>     >> # The first line sets up shell variable wget, to be used by all later lines
>     >> # simply paste into the shell from here
>     >> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>     >> wget="wget -rxnH http://cygwin.stromeko.net/x86/release/"
>     >> $wget/rcs/rcs-5.9.2-1-src.tar.xz
>     >> $wget/rcs/rcs-5.9.2-1.tar.xz
>     >> $wget/rcs/setup.hint
>     >> $wget/rcs/rcs-debuginfo/rcs-debuginfo-5.9.2-1.tar.xz
>     >> $wget/rcs/rcs-debuginfo/setup.hint
>     >> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
>     > Volker was supposed to be abroad until end of June.  Are you back
>     > Volker?  Any spare cycles to have a look?
>
> Hi Corinna
>
> Yes, just 2 days ago, and I have to catch up with real work again. It
> also looks like I can't do any cygwin work until begin if august, sorry.
>
> It would be nice if Achim takes over rcs, as I don't use it anymore
> these days. It's already cygported...

Thanks, Volker.  Achim, are you taking the offer?

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: [ITA] rcs
@ 2014-07-03 16:36       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-07-03 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> On Jul  3 15:10, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
>> It would be nice if Achim takes over rcs, as I don't use it anymore
>> these days. It's already cygported...
>
> Thanks, Volker.  Achim, are you taking the offer?

OK.  I guess the way upstream (doesn't) move there's no danger that I'm
overwhelmed with updates.

BTW, the fix I've had to do might still point to a bug in Cygwin, but I
have no idea what kind of guarantees POSIX makes about streams whose
file handles have been shared across an exec.  I haven't had time yet to
isolate it into a simple(r) test case either.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ITA] rcs
@ 2014-07-03 16:54         ` Corinna Vinschen