public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* man-db: cache handling
@ 2014-07-22 16:12 Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-07-22 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Chris,

There are a few issues with the current man-db setup:

1) the cache is not strictly necessary for operation of man(1);

2) mandb -c is quite slow with a large number of manpages (~20min on my
system)

3) generating the cache only during man-db postinstall doesn't help for
manpages updated or added between man-db releases.

Therefore, we need to discuss further how to best handle the man-db
cache.  In the meantime, to help avoid user complaints, could you ship a
new release without the postinstall/preremove?

Yaakov

* Re: man-db: cache handling
@ 2014-07-30 15:52 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-07-30 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Chris J. Breisch

Chris, ping?

On Jul 22 11:12, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> Chris,
>
> There are a few issues with the current man-db setup:
>
> 1) the cache is not strictly necessary for operation of man(1);
>
> 2) mandb -c is quite slow with a large number of manpages (~20min on my
> system)
>
> 3) generating the cache only during man-db postinstall doesn't help for
> manpages updated or added between man-db releases.
>
> Therefore, we need to discuss further how to best handle the man-db
> cache.  In the meantime, to help avoid user complaints, could you ship a
> new release without the postinstall/preremove?
>

> Yaakov

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: man-db: cache handling
@ 2014-08-03 20:36   ` waterlan
From: waterlan @ 2014-08-03 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen schreef op 2014-07-30 17:52:
> Chris, ping?

It is summer vacation time...

> On Jul 22 11:12, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>> Chris,
>>
>> There are a few issues with the current man-db setup:
>>
>> 1) the cache is not strictly necessary for operation of man(1);
>>
>> 2) mandb -c is quite slow with a large number of manpages (~20min on
>> my
>> system)
>>
>> 3) generating the cache only during man-db postinstall doesn't help
>> for
>> manpages updated or added between man-db releases.
>>
>> Therefore, we need to discuss further how to best handle the man-db
>> cache.  In the meantime, to help avoid user complaints, could you ship
>> new release without the postinstall/preremove?

I agree. The indexing should be removed from the post install.

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/

* Re: man-db: cache handling
@ 2014-08-04  9:04     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-08-04  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Aug  3 22:36, waterlan wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen schreef op 2014-07-30 17:52:
> >Chris, ping?
>
> It is summer vacation time...

True.

> >On Jul 22 11:12, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> >>Chris,
> >>
> >>There are a few issues with the current man-db setup:
> >>
> >>1) the cache is not strictly necessary for operation of man(1);
> >>
> >>2) mandb -c is quite slow with a large number of manpages (~20min on my
> >>system)
> >>
> >>3) generating the cache only during man-db postinstall doesn't help for
> >>manpages updated or added between man-db releases.
> >>
> >>Therefore, we need to discuss further how to best handle the man-db
> >>cache.  In the meantime, to help avoid user complaints, could you ship a
> >>new release without the postinstall/preremove?
> >>

> I agree. The indexing should be removed from the post install.

Yes, that seems a bit too heavy for the postinstall.

@ 2014-08-19 16:40 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-08-19 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2014-07-22 11:12, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> There are a few issues with the current man-db setup:
>
> 1) the cache is not strictly necessary for operation of man(1);
>
> 2) mandb -c is quite slow with a large number of manpages (~20min on my
> system)
>
> 3) generating the cache only during man-db postinstall doesn't help for
> manpages updated or added between man-db releases.
>
> Therefore, we need to discuss further how to best handle the man-db
> cache.  In the meantime, to help avoid user complaints, could you ship a
> new release without the postinstall/preremove?

Chris,

I'm hoping you're just on vacation atm.  Because of the continued user
complaints, I went ahead and released a -2 without the cache
postinstall/preremove.  Some missing runtime deps have also been
reported and are fixed on sourceware.  Please resync with the following
in order to avoid any regressions:

https://sourceforge.net/p/cygwin-ports/man-db/

Yaakov