On Feb 9 18:15, Achim Gratz wrote: > Corinna Vinschen writes: > > I think it's important to keep the information in sync while building > > the packages. A later rebase will break the connection between debug > > symbols and runtime symbols as well, obviously. > > Obviously? I have no indication that the debug information is damaged > once it's been stripped off into a separate file. Which may be a hint > on what rebase might do wrong. What I mean is this. If the debug info file does not refer to the same addresses than the file in memory, then GDB doesn't resolve the symbols correctly. > > Maybe we should think of rebasing the actual binaries as well as their > > debugging counterparts to keep everything in sync, but that's a bit > > much effort... > > I may not understand what is really going on, but the way I see it, > rebase does exactly that while the debug information is still part of > the object file. It seems to do something extra or wrong, since objcopy > will the not be able to copy out that information. Looking with objdump > reveals the section is still there ans has contents, but it doesn't get > associated with the code in the correct manner anymore. I'm not an expert on this stuff either, so I can just assume that the rebasing doesn't catch the debug info and that the debug info then points into nirvana. I also don't know if there's a way around that. Would you mind to discuss your problem on the binutils mailing list? Hopefully they know if there's a way which preserves the info so that GDB doesn't fish in muddy waters. Thanks, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat