On Aug 8 07:22, Achim Gratz wrote: > Corinna Vinschen writes: > >> I would consider this a release candidate. Some more testing with > >> interactive and ad-hoc installs would be useful, though. > > > > How do you want to handle this? We don't have real provisions for > > setup.exe release candidates. > > True. At the moment it'd probably mean that some other folks on this > list try it and give their GTG. They'd either have to build it > themselves or maybe use the AppVeyor build from Jon Turney. Link? I'm using setup with the -m option exclusively so I'm mostly interested that this still works. However, you might want to make a quick list what scenarios you want to have tested as well. I try to do that over the next couple of days and hopfully other maintainers try, too. > > Maybe we should change how we provide setup updates in future? > > > > I have a vague idea that setup should ideally be part of the Cygwin > > distro package set. So setup updates itself, and it would be possible > > to handle public "test" releases. > > We could add a new key to setup.ini that indicates the existence of a > test version and have setup ask if the user would maybe want to use that > instead. Ideally setup would then download and exec it if the user > choses to run it. IIUC, you mean that the current method of downloading setup only from sware should be maintained? What kind of "key" are you talking about? > I don't have code ready to do that, though… Another > problem that needs to be solved is to know how much exposure the new > setup.exe really had to decide if it's good for release. That's a general problem. I'm not sure how much exposure the Cygwin test DLLs really have, either. I'm reasonable sure that some of you maintainers are using them, but otherwise it's a bit of a black hole. > > The issue of overwriting setup while setup is running could be worked > > around by setup first copying itself to a intermediate filename (e.g. > > .setup.exe) and then exce'ing that copy. > > > > Other ideas how we could handle this? > > As said before, the idea that setup.exe needs to be entirely > self-contained is both an advantage and limiting what it can do. I > haven't had time yet to check, but a minimal Cygwin install system w/ > busybox might not be too large compared to the connectivity demands of > todays' Windows itself. Here setup.exe would just need to unpack the > current image of the install system and provide the GUI to pick the > packages and control the actual installation. Not sure I follow. How would such an install system look like? I have a vague notion that busybox could run the scripts, but there are installation path issues and requirements of some postinstall scripts which might not be suffiecently handled by busybox. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat