On Oct 15 20:01, Achim Gratz wrote: > Jon Turney writes: > >> I still don't think the triggers should be implemented or at least not > >> in the way you've been proposing. > > > > Can you explain the reason why? > > Triggers need to be coordinated among packages and we currently don't > have an infrastructure for that. And implementing just a single trigger > for info files is special-casing this thing too much. > > > I think that's more or less what I implemented. > > I'm talking about doing it with a perpetual postinstall script. > > >> But it would be possible to just add / > >> remove the corresponding entries with a bit more bookkeeping. I'll try > >> something of that, but not immediately. > > > > I guess that list of matching files added/removed could be written > > into or associated with the trigger file, but the benefit starts to > > look a bit marginal, (especially as this is not intended as a general > > solution, but only for use with _update-info-dir, and other future > > package-to-package triggers are written directly in the packages > > themselves) > > Again, I don't see why updating the info dir should be so special, it > can be done in postinstall without getting special-cased in setup: I agree. Actually, considering that the info files are stored in just a single well-known directory, /usr/share/info(*), and further considering that updated files are rewritten when overwritten, shouldn't it be entirely sufficient if the update_info_dir script performs a simple test like this: - Does /usr/share/info/dirs exist? No -> run install-info Yes -> Is /usr/share/info/dirs mtime < /usr/share/info mtime? No -> Do nothing Yes -> run install-info ? (*) We should drop the check for /usr/info, imho. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat