On Aug 11 17:49, Warren Young wrote: > I’m the current maintainer of these two packages. As it happens, > I have never seriously used either under Cygwin. I only adopted > ctags because it was abandoned in 2003 and was in danger of being > removed from the distribution after repeated attempts to contact its > maintainer in 2005 failed. Since I do use ctags on other platforms, > I decided that I was at least in a position to keep it in Cygwin, > so I adopted it. The situation was less drastic with expat: I simply > took over the package’s maintenance when Brian Dessent stepped down > in 2008. > > The time has come for someone else to maintain these packages. > > But not just anyone. I do not want to drop another twig onto the > back of someone who’s already carrying a lot for the Cygwin project. > I’d prefer that these packages to go to someone who’s been looking > to jump into Cygwin package maintainership, and has just been waiting > for an excuse. > > These two are a mixed bag when it comes to ease of maintainership, > each for very different reasons. > > The easy part with ctags is that there hasn’t been an upstream > release since 2009, and there is no reason to expect that there will > be another. The hard part is that the shipped Makefile doesn’t > understand how to do out-of-tree builds, something Cygport expects > to be able to do, so I had to write a custom build script to produce > the current packages, which might have to be adjusted by the next > maintainer of this package, if a new version comes out with the same > primitive build system. Given the obvious lack of upstream development, did anybody try to replace exuberant ctags with universal ctags? https://ctags.io/ I noticed that our co-maintainer Frank Fesevur is involved in this project. Frank, any insight? Thanks, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat