On Jan 15 23:49, Thomas Wolff wrote: > Concerning https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-07/msg00021.html, > I have some new insights; first, I tried with a range of older versions of > setup.exe (from the cygwin time machine) but all failed, so its not a > regression as I had speculated. > > Then I tried to run setup.exe without elevation, by elevating before > (running mintty as adminstrator). So I noted (and could have checked this > earlier...) that the involved network mounts were not fully established: > > mount (unelevated): > L:/TGI/cygwin7 on / type ntfs (binary,auto) > L: on /cygdrive/l type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto) > ... > > mount (elevated): > //141.64.144.100/Labormaterial/TGI/cygwin7 on / type ntfs (binary,auto) > ... > > After fixing the mount: > net use L: '\\141.64.144.100\Labormaterial' > > setup.exe works as expected. > > Not being familiar with details of Windows permission stuff and > user-specific mounts myself, does this help to analyse and maybe even fix > the situation? This is an UAC issue, not a Cygwin setup issue. When elevating, the mounts are not propagated to the elevated processes. There's a documented registry value enabling the supposedly dangerous propagation of mount point to elevated processes, but I don't knowe it off the top of my head. You may want to search MSDN. HTH, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat