On Oct 31 11:06, Achim Gratz wrote: > Am 30.10.2017 um 16:58 schrieb Jon Turney: > > "everyone" != "everyone, ignoring people who disagree with me" > > I think this is an unfair summary of my position. > > > If you think epochs are a bad idea, you need to give reasons, not just > > pretend there is no debate. > > I was strictly talking about those folks who've had the opportunity in > practise so far, which is all the major GNU/Linux distributions. The ones > I'm aware of aren't using epochs and instead decided to use other means of > achieving the same (or similar) goals. In fact they created rules to not > use epochs even though the tools support them. Their line of reasoning > always was (and still is), that once you start using epochs there is no way > going back and you could just as well have used monotonic release numbers > instead of versions. The other point is that it is close to impossible that > everybody will agree on what the epoch ought to be. The last point is that > once an epoch bump is introduced, you can't decide to sort things > differently unless you're prepared to invalidate all existing released > packages. Not sure what distros you're referring to. Of the 58467 packages in Fedora 26, 7822 are using epochs. Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat