On Jul 16 11:09, Stephen John Smoogen wrote: > On 16 July 2018 at 10:22, cyg Simple wrote: > > On 7/16/2018 10:02 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote: > > > >> > >> Most of the rsh usage is going to be legacy hardware and systems which > >> various places still have in good numbers. Various industrial and lab > >> components might have been built in 1995 and is slower than your > >> iphone but the replacement costs tens or hundreds of millions of > >> dollars... (and still uses rsh for backwards compatibility). Payroll > >> systems in other places use rsh and rcp and cost large amounts to > >> 'upgrade'. The people running these don't show up mailing lists > >> because they may not even know that the system uses rsh/telnet or some > >> other obscure thing.. they just run a script on a Windows desktop that > >> someone wrote years ago. They only show up when stuff stops working. > >> > > > > But are those scripts Cygwin? I doubt they are. Do you have proof of any? > > > > I don't have any recent proof. Most of mine is 6-8 years old so I > can't say if they are still in production. I am extrapolating of what > people ask on IRC and mailing lists at times and going by experience > of where that software would have been used and why it takes forever > to get rid of it. [I don't like rsh/rlogin/rcp and would prefer it was > gone. I just have found that fighting that battle has a very very long > tail of "oh we still use that... yeah we are running a RSX11 > controller now on an ARM chip but its embedded software only talks rsh > so lets put an SSH proxy on this windows box and have it rsh to it." ] > > I also don't have any recent proof that 90-95% of the software in the > Cygwin distribution is used anywhere. I just have hearsay that people > use X and various network servers on it.. so if my proof is needed to > keep stuff in.. I would expect a lot smaller distribution soon. ... but we could probably fit the entire distro on a CD again ;) Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat