public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: "Peter A. Castro" <doctor@fruitbat.org>
To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: zsh 5.8: configure fails only on 32bit
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 15:56:23 -0700	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 02:09:06PM -0700, Peter A. Castro wrote:
> Greetings, Mark & Yasuhiro,

(please excuse the top-posting :)

Greetings, again, Mark & Yasuhiro,

  I wanted to followup with you two on this.  But first, I've pushed a
new zsh-5.8 release so that should be available in a day or so.  Let me
know if you see any issues with it.

  Now, as to your own attempts: I wanted to ask if you had first applied
the patch from the previous release (zsh-5.5.1-1.patch from the
zsh-5.5.1-1-src.tar.bz2) before you attempted to run configure?  That
might be a logical step give that that does contain port specific
changes.

  If so, then that is going to be the problem.  It has been a while
since I'd roll a new zsh, but I recall finding that that particular
patch was tainted.  At some point, changes to how automake/configure
worked created a cache directory and the source package creation step
added that to the patch by mistake.  Re-applying it before running
configure creates a reall mess!

  I had it in my notes to correct this, but right then, my life became
complicated and I didn't have time to persue it, and since it was just
the source patch, and I the maintainer, I figure it wouldn't case any
harm until I fixed it.  It's been two years now and I'm back to being
able to be more active in other areas, including zsh maintinership.  (I
have to roll a new x3270 too at some point too, but that will take more
work.)

  So, if your problem was NOT that, then, I'm afraid you would have to
investigate that yourself.  Or, instead, just pester me for a new
release.  :)

   Again, sorry for any trouble, but life often throws curveballs at
us all.

--
--=> Peter A. Castro
Email: doctor at fruitbat dot org / Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com