public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@Shaw.ca>
To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Possible "stage" token for SCALLYWAG builds
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 14:42:31 -0700	[thread overview]

On 2023-02-16 17:13, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 2/16/2023 3:31 PM, Jon Turney wrote:
>> On 15/02/2023 21:48, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> When building TeX Live (once a year), I have to build texlive, asymptote, and
>>> all the texlive-collection-* packages.  I currently can't use SCALLYWAG to do
>>> the builds because these packages need to all be deployed at once.  So I have
>>> to build them all locally, upload them to my staging area, and then upload
>>> !ready files, one for x86_64 and one for noarch.
>>>
>>> It would be convenient for me if SCALLYWAG would accept a "stage" token that
>>> would upload the files to my staging area without deploying them. Then I
>>> could let SCALLYWAG do the builds, and I could upload the !ready files when
>>> everything is staged.
>>>
>>> If I'm the only maintainer who would find this useful, then I can continue
>>> doing it the way I always have.  But maybe others would find it useful too.
>>
>> I'm not opposed to adding a some feature to support this if needed, but from
>> the way you are describing it, this sounds more like a constraint that the
>> dependency solver should be aware of.
>>
>> (just because texlive-2023 and texlive-collection-foo-2023 are made available
>> to download at the same time, doesn't mean that they always end up installed
>> together, as the user might alter the version of one or the other)
>>
>> If they really must be kept in lockstep to work correctly, then there's at
>> least a couple of ways of doing that:
>>
>> * give texlive an additional provide, such as texlive_2023, and make
>> everything that requires it, require that (something similar is done with perl
>> and perl modules)
>>
>> * make things which require texlive do so with a version constraint like
>> 'requires: texlive (>= 20230000), texlive (<20240000)' (in theory this works,
>> but I have no doubt that a bug will emerge when someone tries to use it, and
>> ofc, it relies on the range of future versions which are compatible being
>> correctly known in advance)
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.  I think I should be able to make things work with
> one or both of your ideas.

Would make sense if scallywag could stage as well as deploy, perhaps using a
cygport all-stage command similar to all-test, perhaps when time permits?

Could also deploy in test SCALLYWAG="deploy", then untest each when you want to
deploy.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry