On 5/22/2020 7:18 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote: > I've been planning to adopt gimp and some related build dependencies.  My reason > is that I use gimp and would like to see it kept up to date. > > I thought I had all the prerequisites I needed.  But when I built gimp, I > discovered that it used two functions, g_set_weak_pointer and > g_date_time_new_from_iso8601, that were introduced in glib-2.56. > > [gimp's configure.ac says that it only requires glib 2.54.2, but this seems to > be wrong.  Cygwin's glib is at 2.54.3.  Fedora's is at 2.64.3, which is the > latest upstream release.] > > I'd appreciate some advice about how to proceed.  I'm not interested in adopting > all of GNOME, and it probably doesn't make sense for different components of > GNOME to be adopted by different people. > > A short-term solution (from my personal POV) would be for me to do a > non-maintainer update of glib to 2.56, assuming that's doable without messing up > other GNOME components. > > A better solution (again from my personal POV) would be for someone to adopt > GNOME and update it to its latest release. To focus the discussion a little better, I've built and installed glib2.0-2.56.4. My cygport file and patches are attached. I can now build gimp-2.10.18, and it seems to run fine in limited testing. Ken