public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
To: cygwin-apps <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: Scallywag TeX dblatex font requirements dependencies missing
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 12:50:06 -0400	[thread overview]

On 10/8/2022 9:04 AM, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 30/09/2022 19:25, Brian Inglis wrote:

>>> Googling the first error message leads me to suggest
>>> texlive-collection-fontsrecommended
>>
>> Thanks Jon,
>>
>> I planned to add that and ...extra, but shouldn't presumably required fonts be
>> TeX/LaTex/dblatex package dependencies, when not mentioned anywhere in
>> downstream packages, including in build scripts on other systems?

I don't think so.  TeX/LaTeX/dblatex can't know what fonts are going to be
required to build documentation for other packages.

>> How are maintainers and users expected to make the connection, if nobody
>> mentions you need special "unrelated" font packages, in any of the downstream
>> packages?
>>
>> For example, for DbLaTeX, only the Windows install page mentions MikTeX fonts,
>> and there appears to be no other link between the abstract font specs, the TeX
>> fonts used, and packages required, although there appear to be mentions of
>> DejaVu "system" fonts, so do non-TeX font packages also need installed e.g.
>> dejavu-fonts or urw-base35-fonts{,-legacy}?
>>
>> Those who are not TeXies need a few more hints.

gsasl should tell you what fonts are required to build its documentation.  Since
it apparently doesn't (I haven't checked), you have to go by the error messages.
  The first error message I see in the log is

! I can't find file `pzdr'

followed shortly by

...failed to make pzdr.tfm.

Searching Cygwin packages for 'pzdr', you find that pzdr.tfm is in
texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.  So you add the latter to BUILD_REQUIRES
and try again.  If there are still error messages about missing fonts, repeat
the process.

I don't know any other way to do it.

Ken