public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] mle
@ 2022-06-06 14:33 as
From: as @ 2022-06-06 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hello all,

I'd like to submit a cygport for mle[0], a text editor. It's available
on various distros/OSs[1] including Debian, Fedora, FreeBSD, and
others. It's licensed under ASL 2.0.

A first attempt at a cygport is here[2]. The editor depends on a
header-only library called uthash which I also attempted to package
here[3]. The other deps, libpcre2-devel and liblua-devel, are already
packaged. Is there a way to express a version constraint on the Lua
dep? It needs 5.4.

Adam

[0] https://github.com/adsr/mle
[1] https://repology.org/project/mle/versions
[2] https://gist.github.com/adsr/4ecb4113f2d9c0e4ee389a800c0fd15b
[3] https://gist.github.com/adsr/e5e6beb373a427dca9e3093cc31b4cea

* Re: [ITP] mle
@ 2022-06-07 18:18 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-06-07 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: as, cygwin-apps

On 06/06/2022 15:33, as-GOAhiB59KME@public.gmane.org wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to submit a cygport for mle[0], a text editor. It's available
> on various distros/OSs[1] including Debian, Fedora, FreeBSD, and
> others. It's licensed under ASL 2.0.

Thanks.

> A first attempt at a cygport is here[2]. The editor depends on a
> header-only library called uthash which I also attempted to package
> here[3]. The other deps, libpcre2-devel and liblua-devel, are already
> packaged. Is there a way to express a version constraint on the Lua
> dep? It needs 5.4.

Unfortunately, there is not currently.

A few comments on the cygport files below.

> [0] https://github.com/adsr/mle
> [1] https://repology.org/project/mle/versions
> [2] https://gist.github.com/adsr/4ecb4113f2d9c0e4ee389a800c0fd15b

> NAME="mle"
> VERSION=1.5.0
> HASH="bc05ec0eee4143d824010c6688fce526550ed508"
> RELEASE=1
> CATEGORY="Editors"
> SUMMARY="Flexible terminal-based text editor"
> DESCRIPTION="mle is a small, flexible, terminal-based text editor written in C.
> Notable features include: full Unicode support, syntax highlighting, scriptable
> rc file, macros, search and replace (PCRE), window splitting, multiple cursors,
> and integration with various shell commands."
> HOMEPAGE="https://github.com/adsr/mle"
> SRC_URI="https://github.com/adsr/mle/archive/${HASH}.tar.gz"

Is there some reason why this can't be
"https://github.com/adsr/mle/archive/refs/tags/v1.5.0.tar.gz" ?

> SRC_DIR="mle-${HASH}"
> BUILD_REQUIRES="libpcre2-devel uthash-devel liblua-devel"
> USE_DESTDIR=1

I don't think setting USE_DESTDIR=1 is needed as this is the default.

> src_compile() {
> 	cygmake -j1

If this is because the build system can't handle a parallel make, a
comment to that effect here would be good.

> }
>
> src_install() {
> 	cd ${S}
> 	cyginstall prefix=/usr
> }
>
> mle_CONTENTS="usr/bin/mle.exe usr/share/doc usr/lib/debug usr/src/debug"

This shouldn't list usr/{lib,src}/debug (as those belong in a debuginfo
package), and I don't think you need this line at all, as the default
will do the right thing?

> [3] https://gist.github.com/adsr/e5e6beb373a427dca9e3093cc31b4cea

> NAME="uthash-devel"

Don't do this, because this becomes the name of the source package as well.

Use NAME="uthash" and then PKG_NAMES="uthash-devel"

> VERSION=2.3.0
> RELEASE=1
> CATEGORY="Libs"
> SUMMARY="C macros for hash tables and more"
> DESCRIPTION="uthash is a collection of header-only data-structure libraries for
> hash maps (uthash), linked lists (utlist), dynamic arrays (utarray), dynamic
> ring buffers (utringbuffer), intrusive stacks (utstack), and dynamic strings
> (utstring)."
> HOMEPAGE="https://troydhanson.github.io/uthash/"
> SRC_URI="https://github.com/troydhanson/uthash/archive/refs/tags/v${VERSION}.tar.gz"
> ARCH="noarch"
>
> src_compile() {
> 	true
> }
>
> src_install() {
> 	cd ${S}/src
> 	doinclude uthash.h utlist.h utarray.h utringbuffer.h utstack.h utstring.h
> }

* Re: [ITP] mle
@ 2022-06-08  1:58   ` as
From: as @ 2022-06-08  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Turney; +Cc: as, cygwin-apps

Updated the gists. Thank you for the feedback.

Adam

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 2:30 PM Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:

> On 06/06/2022 15:33, as-GOAhiB59KME@public.gmane.org wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'd like to submit a cygport for mle[0], a text editor. It's available
> > on various distros/OSs[1] including Debian, Fedora, FreeBSD, and
> > others. It's licensed under ASL 2.0.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > A first attempt at a cygport is here[2]. The editor depends on a
> > header-only library called uthash which I also attempted to package
> > here[3]. The other deps, libpcre2-devel and liblua-devel, are already
> > packaged. Is there a way to express a version constraint on the Lua
> > dep? It needs 5.4.
>
> Unfortunately, there is not currently.
>
> A few comments on the cygport files below.
>
> > [0] https://github.com/adsr/mle
> > [1] https://repology.org/project/mle/versions
> > [2] https://gist.github.com/adsr/4ecb4113f2d9c0e4ee389a800c0fd15b
>
> > NAME="mle"
> > VERSION=1.5.0
> > HASH="bc05ec0eee4143d824010c6688fce526550ed508"
> > RELEASE=1
> > CATEGORY="Editors"
> > SUMMARY="Flexible terminal-based text editor"
> > DESCRIPTION="mle is a small, flexible, terminal-based text editor written in C.
> > Notable features include: full Unicode support, syntax highlighting, scriptable
> > rc file, macros, search and replace (PCRE), window splitting, multiple cursors,
> > and integration with various shell commands."
> > HOMEPAGE="https://github.com/adsr/mle"
> > SRC_URI="https://github.com/adsr/mle/archive/${HASH}.tar.gz"
>
> Is there some reason why this can't be
> "https://github.com/adsr/mle/archive/refs/tags/v1.5.0.tar.gz" ?

No reason. Changed back to the v1.5.0 tag plus 2 patches. Also added a
src_test function to run the tests. (They pass on my system.)

> > SRC_DIR="mle-${HASH}"
> > BUILD_REQUIRES="libpcre2-devel uthash-devel liblua-devel"
> > USE_DESTDIR=1
>
> I don't think setting USE_DESTDIR=1 is needed as this is the default.
>

> > src_compile() {
> >       cygmake -j1
>
> If this is because the build system can't handle a parallel make, a
> comment to that effect here would be good.

Thanks for the reminder. The vendorized build (make mle_vendor=1)
breaks with parallel make. The normal build does not, so I removed the
flag.

> > }
> >
> > src_install() {
> >       cd ${S}
> >       cyginstall prefix=/usr
> > }
> >
> > mle_CONTENTS="usr/bin/mle.exe usr/share/doc usr/lib/debug usr/src/debug"
>
> This shouldn't list usr/{lib,src}/debug (as those belong in a debuginfo
> package), and I don't think you need this line at all, as the default
> will do the right thing?
>
> > [3] https://gist.github.com/adsr/e5e6beb373a427dca9e3093cc31b4cea
>
> > NAME="uthash-devel"
>
> Don't do this, because this becomes the name of the source package as well.
>
> Use NAME="uthash" and then PKG_NAMES="uthash-devel"

Updated.

> > VERSION=2.3.0
> > RELEASE=1
> > CATEGORY="Libs"
> > SUMMARY="C macros for hash tables and more"
> > DESCRIPTION="uthash is a collection of header-only data-structure libraries for
> > hash maps (uthash), linked lists (utlist), dynamic arrays (utarray), dynamic
> > ring buffers (utringbuffer), intrusive stacks (utstack), and dynamic strings
> > (utstring)."
> > HOMEPAGE="https://troydhanson.github.io/uthash/"
> > SRC_URI="https://github.com/troydhanson/uthash/archive/refs/tags/v${VERSION}.tar.gz"
> > ARCH="noarch"
> >
> > src_compile() {
> >       true
> > }
> >
> > src_install() {
> >       cd ${S}/src
> >       doinclude uthash.h utlist.h utarray.h utringbuffer.h utstack.h utstring.h
> > }

* Re: [ITP] mle
@ 2022-06-09 16:58     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-06-09 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: as, cygwin-apps

On 08/06/2022 02:58, as-GOAhiB59KME@public.gmane.org wrote:
> Updated the gists. Thank you for the feedback.

Looks good.

I added mle and uthash to your authorized packages.

Notwithstanding the instructions at [1], you could instead push to the
packaging git repo [2], adding '--push-option=deploy' [3] which should
cause packages to be built and uploaded for you.

For mle you will also need '--push-option=testpackages' as it needs to
be built against liblua5.4 which is currently marked as test.

[1] https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html#acceptance
[2] https://cygwin.com/packaging/repos.html
[3] https://cygwin.com/packaging/build.html

Thanks!