public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* New Berkeley DB 4.5.20 from Oracle Corporation
@ 2007-07-12 14:35 Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2007-07-12 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi

I want to package the latest version of openldap. The folks there do not recommend to use
db-4.3 but instead db-4.4/db-4.5.

It seems that Gerrit is gone, so I prepared a db-4.5.20 package. Are there any objections
to upload this ?

Ciao
  Volker

* Re: New Berkeley DB 4.5.20 from Oracle Corporation
@ 2007-07-12 14:58 ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2007-07-12 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> It seems that Gerrit is gone,

Er... gone?

* Re: New Berkeley DB 4.5.20 from Oracle Corporation
@ 2007-07-12 15:05 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2007-07-12 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jul 12 16:33, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to package the latest version of openldap. The folks there do
> not recommend to use
> db-4.3 but instead db-4.4/db-4.5.
>
> It seems that Gerrit is gone, so I prepared a db-4.5.20 package. Are
> there any objections
> to upload this ?

Your packages are known to be well packed, but I think a quick ITP
wouldn't hurt.  Thanks for doing this, btw.

As for Gerrit's db packages, would you be willing to take over
maintainership of them?  It would be good for the records to have
an active maintainer and I didn't see any problems with these
packages so far.  There's also the question if some of them could
be obsoleted, something I have no idea about.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: New Berkeley DB 4.5.20 from Oracle Corporation
@ 2007-07-12 15:06   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2007-07-12 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jul 12 10:57, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > It seems that Gerrit is gone,
>
> Er... gone?

...from the CYgwin project.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: New Berkeley DB 4.5.20 from Oracle Corporation
@ 2007-07-12 16:13   ` Dr. Volker Zell
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2007-07-12 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

    > Your packages are known to be well packed, but I think a quick ITP
    > wouldn't hurt.  Thanks for doing this, btw.

In lack of public web space I have temporarily uploaded the packages to sourceware

 o sourceware.org:/home/vzell/db

If everything looks good, you can move them to the release directory.
Right now I'm using more or less the same build script as Gerrit.

    > As for Gerrit's db packages, would you be willing to take over
    > maintainership of them?  It would be good for the records to have

Ok.

    > an active maintainer and I didn't see any problems with these
    > packages so far.  There's also the question if some of them could
    > be obsoleted, something I have no idea about.

I think there are still packages around which require specific versions
of berkdb. When I have time I can repackage the db packages to use
alternatives. db-2 and db-3.1 should also be repackaged to use /usr/share/doc
instead of /usr/doc, so that we can get rid of /usr/doc one day.

@ 2007-07-12 16:31     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2007-07-12 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin-Apps

Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

>  o sourceware.org:/home/vzell/db
>
> If everything looks good, you can move them to the release directory.
> Right now I'm using more or less the same build script as Gerrit.

For some reason, the contents of

usr/share/doc/db-4.5.20/docs/utility/

show up in the -devel package, instead of in the "main" package with all
of the other documentation.  Other than that, everything looks fine to me

--
Chuck

* Re: New Berkeley DB 4.5.20 from Oracle Corporation
@ 2007-07-12 16:36     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2007-07-12 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jul 12 18:12, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

>     > Your packages are known to be well packed, but I think a quick ITP
>     > wouldn't hurt.  Thanks for doing this, btw.
>
> In lack of public web space I have temporarily uploaded the packages to sourceware
>
>  o sourceware.org:/home/vzell/db
>
> If everything looks good, you can move them to the release directory.
> Right now I'm using more or less the same build script as Gerrit.

Looks good to me, except of the "external-source" entry in libdb4.5
and libdb4.5-devel, which point to "db", rather than "db4.5".

>     > As for Gerrit's db packages, would you be willing to take over
>     > maintainership of them?  It would be good for the records to have
>
> Ok.

Whohooo!  Thank you!  Iiiiigooooor!  Can you throw a fat gold star
in Volker's direction, please?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: New Berkeley DB 4.5.20 from Oracle Corporation
@ 2007-07-12 16:57       ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2007-07-12 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >     > Your packages are known to be well packed, but I think a quick ITP
> >     > wouldn't hurt.  Thanks for doing this, btw.
> >
> > In lack of public web space I have temporarily uploaded the packages to sourceware
> >
> >  o sourceware.org:/home/vzell/db
> >
> > If everything looks good, you can move them to the release directory.
> > Right now I'm using more or less the same build script as Gerrit.
>
> Looks good to me, except of the "external-source" entry in libdb4.5
> and libdb4.5-devel, which point to "db", rather than "db4.5".
>
> >     > As for Gerrit's db packages, would you be willing to take over
> >     > maintainership of them?  It would be good for the records to have
> >
> > Ok.
>
> Whohooo!  Thank you!  Iiiiigooooor!  Can you throw a fat gold star
> in Volker's direction, please?

You mean, like a shuriken? :-)

I don't have a fat one.  I do have a spinning one, which, unfortunately,
is a GIF.  I'm going with a PNG instead: <http://cygwin.com/goldstars/#VZ>.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Belief can be manipulated.  Only knowledge is dangerous.  -- Frank Herbert

* Re: New Berkeley DB 4.5.20 from Oracle Corporation
@ 2007-07-12 17:17         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2007-07-12 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jul 12 12:57, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Whohooo!  Thank you!  Iiiiigooooor!  Can you throw a fat gold star
> > in Volker's direction, please?
>
> You mean, like a shuriken? :-)

Oh no, please don't do it that way :)

> I don't have a fat one.  I do have a spinning one, which, unfortunately,
> is a GIF.  I'm going with a PNG instead: <http://cygwin.com/goldstars/#VZ>.

That's fine, thanks.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: New Berkeley DB 4.5.20 from Oracle Corporation
@ 2007-07-12 20:33     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2007-07-12 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin-Apps

Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

> If everything looks good, you can move them to the release directory.
> Right now I'm using more or less the same build script as Gerrit.

Something to consider for later: I think Yaakov has some cygport-ed
versions of berkdb over at cygports (and in any case, the CVS versions
of the cygport tool itself define a new berkdb cygclass).  When you
scrape together enough roundtuits, you might look at that if you want to
move away from the g-b-s-based build scripts.

--
Chuck