public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Emacs is coming back - 2nd try
@ 2007-07-16 19:28 Steffen Sledz
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2007-07-16 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

* Re: Emacs is coming back - 2nd try
@ 2007-07-17 12:42 ` Eric Blake
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Eric Blake @ 2007-07-17 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

According to Steffen Sledz on 7/16/2007 1:28 PM:
> Here is my second try of the emacs 22.1 packages.
>
> I've fixed some minor problems in dependency info. The conflicts with
> ctags and xemacs are solved, and the emacs-el package is fixed (a lot of
> files were missing in 22.1-1). Thanx to the hints from Eric.
>
> I've not yet changed the emacs.exe binary behaviour in the way suggested
> by Eric because I've not found a good sample for this. Also I'm not sure
> if it is a better solution than the current one (emacs-nox.exe without
> X11 support and emacs.exe with X11 support).

I'd still like to see a -3 that takes an alternatives-based approach.  To
do that, you need to add a dependency on alternatives, then in your
postinstall script, do something like this (looking at
/etc/postinstall/automake1.<x>.sh for inspiration) for the non-X version:

prefix=/usr
bindir=${prefix}/bin
sbindir=${prefix}/sbin
${sbindir}/update-alternatives \
        --install ${bindir}/emacs emacs ${bindir}/emacs-nox 10

and this for the X version:

prefix=/usr
bindir=${prefix}/bin
sbindir=${prefix}/sbin
${sbindir}/update-alternatives \
        --install ${bindir}/emacs emacs ${bindir}/emacs-x 20

Notice that you would no longer ship emacs.exe in either package (meaning
the X version ships bin/emacs-x.exe).  When done right, if the user only
installs the nox package, the emacs symlink is created on their behalf
defaulting to the nox version; if the user installs the X package, the
emacs symlink takes priority to the X version even if the nox package is
then uninstalled and reinstalled.

> I believe the packages are ready for uploading now to give more people
> the chance to test it. Please upload if you agree! It is again marked as
> experimental.

Still not ready to upload, but you are getting closer.

> The base package including everything to run without X11 and the sources:
>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/emacs-22.1-2.tar.bz2>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/emacs-22.1-2-src.tar.bz2>

The embedded file emacs-22.1-2.src.patch is identical to
emacs-22.1-2.cygwin.patch; it looks like you built emacs out of the box
without any source patches, so I'm not sure why you even had a .src.patch.
 But I don't think it is a showstopper for -2.

However, when trying to reproduce the build, I got this failure during the
package phase:

cygport emacs-22.1-2 package
>>> emacs-el-22.1-2.tar.bz2
tar: usr/share/emacs/22.1/leim: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
*** ERROR: Binary package creation failed

> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/setup.hint>

You don't need to mention _update-info-dir in requires: - that one happens
automatically.

> The X11 binary:
>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/emacs-X11/emacs-X11-22.1-2.tar.bz2>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/emacs-X11/setup.hint>

You are missing an "external-source: emacs" line - every package must have
a -src.tar.bz2 or an external-source.

> The lisp sources (including LEIM sources):
>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/emacs-el/emacs-el-22.1-2.tar.bz2>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/emacs-el/setup.hint>

Likewise.

> LEIM is obsolete as an own package. This is an empty package moving
> emacs-leim to _obsolete:
>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/emacs-leim/emacs-leim-22.1-2.tar.bz2>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/emacs-leim/setup.hint>

You need to add a "requires: emacs" line to pick up the replacement as
part of the obsoletion process.  Also, I would create an empty
- -src.tar.bz2 file rather than relying on an external-source: line.

> You can also install directly from:
>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/setup.ini>

Thanks for posting this - it makes it a bit easier to test while you still
iron out bugs before the initial cygwin.com upload.  That gold star for
taking over maintainership will be yours in no time.

> Steffen Sledz

- --

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net

* Re: Emacs is coming back - 2nd try
@ 2007-07-17 13:10   ` Eric Blake
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Blake @ 2007-07-17 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

* Re: Emacs is coming back - 2nd try
@ 2007-07-17 13:24   ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2007-07-17 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

* Re: Emacs is coming back - 2nd try
@ 2007-07-17 20:06     ` Steffen Sledz
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2007-07-17 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Emacs is coming back - 2nd try
@ 2007-07-17 20:13   ` Steffen Sledz
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2007-07-17 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Emacs is coming back - 2nd try
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-07-17 21:15   ` Steffen Sledz
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2007-07-17 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Emacs is coming back - 2nd try
@ 2007-07-18  0:48     ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2007-07-18  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

* Re: Emacs is coming back - 2nd try
@ 2007-07-18  6:13       ` Steffen Sledz
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2007-07-18  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

* Re: Emacs is coming back - 2nd try
@ 2007-07-18 12:14         ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2007-07-18 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

According to Steffen Sledz on 7/18/2007 12:13 AM:
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Eric Blake wrote:
>>> Another newbie question at this point: What's the right way to create
>>> the postinstall script? Currently there is one generated by cygport
>>> containing the install-info stuff.
>> Simply create a file named postinstall.sh inside the CYGWIN-PATCHES
>> directory, alongside the readme files.  Cygport will automatically append
>> its postinstall stuff after the contents of your file.
>
> What's the right naming here? I need two of them, one for emacs and one
> for emacs-X11.

Hmm, you're right - cygport is currently hardcoded to only outputting
postinstall information for the primary ${PN}, regardless of how many
additional packages get created during the process.  This seems like a
cygport limitation - maybe Yaakov has some more insight?

But I think you are still okay - you only need the cygport postinstall
additions appended in the primary emacs package, for two reasons - the
cygport additions only install info files, which are already limited to
the primary emacs package; and the emacs-X11 package depends on emacs, so
that part of the postinstall will get run regardless of which of the two
packages the user selected.

So I think the answer is as follows - for creating
/etc/postinstall/emacs.sh, simply put your prefix into
CYGWIN_PATCHES/postinstall.sh, and let cygport append its trailer and do
the renaming.  For creating /etc/postinstall/emacs-X11.sh, put your entire
file in CYGWIN_PATCHES/emacs-X11-post.sh, then have your .cygport file do
the following as part of src_install:

dodir /etc/postinstall
cp ${C}/emacs-X11-post.sh ${D}/etc/postinstall/emacs-X11.sh

Oh, and don't forget the corresponding preremoves.  Again, using
/etc/preremove/automake<n>.sh as a guide, you will need something similar
to this for your two preremoves:

prefix=/usr
bindir=${prefix}/bin
sbindir=${prefix}/sbin

${sbindir}/update-alternatives --remove emacs ${bindir}/emacs-nox.exe

Again, cygport makes the emacs preremove easy, but you will have to do the
same trick as for the postinstall to get the emacs-X11 preremove installed.

- --

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net