public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* ImageMagick renamed runtime lib names
@ 2008-03-20 23:31 Volker Quetschke
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Volker Quetschke @ 2008-03-20 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapps

Since upstream version 6.3.8-5 of ImageMagick the following changes
were made:

Renames:
  /usr/local/include => /usr/local/include/ImageMagick
  libMagick => libMagickCore
  libWand => libMagickWand
  Magick-config (deprecated) => MagickCore-config
  Wand-config (deprecated) => MagickWand-config

And as the api changed the library version was changed from
10 to 1.

Well, we used to pack the runtime libraries libMagick, libWand and
libMagick++ in a libMagick10 package.

As there was never a libMagick1 package in cygwin, this would
be no problem, except that I don't like that a newer library
now has a smaler number.

As the package collects all runtime library files, i.e. libMagickWand,
libMagickCore and libMagick++ I would tend to call that package

libMagickWCP1

?

But I am open for suggestions. Does anyone have a better name? Or
shall I just call it libMagick1 ?

   Volker

--
PGP/GPG key  (ID: 0x9F8A785D)  available  from  wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
key-fingerprint 550D F17E B082 A3E9 F913  9E53 3D35 C9BA 9F8A 785D

* Re: ImageMagick renamed runtime lib names
@ 2008-03-21 10:23 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-03-21 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mar 20 19:30, Volker Quetschke wrote:
> Since upstream version 6.3.8-5 of ImageMagick the following changes
> were made:
>
> Renames:
>  /usr/local/include => /usr/local/include/ImageMagick
>  libMagick => libMagickCore
>  libWand => libMagickWand
>  Magick-config (deprecated) => MagickCore-config
>  Wand-config (deprecated) => MagickWand-config
>
> And as the api changed the library version was changed from
> 10 to 1.
>
> Well, we used to pack the runtime libraries libMagick, libWand and
> libMagick++ in a libMagick10 package.
>
> As there was never a libMagick1 package in cygwin, this would
> be no problem, except that I don't like that a newer library
> now has a smaler number.
>
> As the package collects all runtime library files, i.e. libMagickWand,
> libMagickCore and libMagick++ I would tend to call that package
>
> libMagickWCP1
>
> ?
>
> But I am open for suggestions. Does anyone have a better name? Or
> shall I just call it libMagick1 ?

What matters are the dependencies.  I'm somewhat surprised about the
change from 10 to 1.  Why is that?  And, isn't there a chance that a
later version will again use the version number 10?  What about using
libMagick_1?  The underscore has a higher asciis value than digits,
so the package would be newer from a sort order perspective.

Oh and, don't use /usr/local/include/ImageMagick.  Use
/usr/include/ImageMagick, please.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: ImageMagick renamed runtime lib names
@ 2008-03-21 12:10 ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2008-03-21 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

    > Since upstream version 6.3.8-5 of ImageMagick the following changes
    > were made:

    > Renames:
    >  /usr/local/include => /usr/local/include/ImageMagick
    >  libMagick => libMagickCore
    >  libWand => libMagickWand
    >  Magick-config (deprecated) => MagickCore-config
    >  Wand-config (deprecated) => MagickWand-config

    > And as the api changed the library version was changed from
    > 10 to 1.

    > Well, we used to pack the runtime libraries libMagick, libWand and
    > libMagick++ in a libMagick10 package.

    > As there was never a libMagick1 package in cygwin, this would
    > be no problem, except that I don't like that a newer library
    > now has a smaler number.

    > As the package collects all runtime library files, i.e. libMagickWand,
    > libMagickCore and libMagick++ I would tend to call that package

    > libMagickWCP1

    > ?

    > But I am open for suggestions. Does anyone have a better name? Or
    > shall I just call it libMagick1 ?

Probably the authors take care of library versioning. So i would not
fiddle with the package name. If there will be a version clash sometime
in the future you can take action then. What matters are the dependencies.

    >   Volker

The other one

* Re: ImageMagick renamed runtime lib names
@ 2008-03-21 14:32   ` Volker Quetschke
From: Volker Quetschke @ 2008-03-21 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps