On 2018-02-20 09:47, Ken Brown wrote: > A few years ago I adopted ffcall (32-bit only) in order to keep it from > disappearing from the distro: > > The latest upstream release builds on 64-bit Cygwin, so I'd like to > update the package, and I'd like to find a sensible way of breaking it > up into subpackages.  Here are the relevant facts: > > 1. Cygwin's existing (32-bit) ffcall is really a devel package: It > consists of headers, four (static) libs, and documentation.  There are > no subpackages and no shared libs. > > 2. The build of the current release produces the same four static libs, > plus shared versions of the first three, plus a new lib, both static and > shared (libffcall.a and cygffcall-0.dll). > > If I were starting from scratch, I would have three packages: ffcall, > libffcall0, and libffcall-devel.  ffcall would be source only; > libffcall0 would contain the shared libs *.dll; and libffcall-devel > would contain the headers, the import libs *.dll.a, and the one static > lib for which there is no shared version.  I wouldn't ship the other > static libs unless I discover later that they're needed for some reason. > > But I'm not starting from scratch, and users of the existing ffcall will > need the new libffcall-devel. NAME=ffcall ... PKG_NAMES="libffcall0 libffcall-devel" libffcall0_CONTENTS=... libffcall_devel_OBSOLETES="ffcall" libffcall_devel_CONTENTS=... -- Yaakov