public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* setup-1.7 can't be used to update, only install
@ 2008-05-03  0:04 Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2008-05-03  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin-Apps

I followed the instructions here:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2008-04/msg00299.html
when I initially installed cygwin-1.7 alongside my existing cygwin-1.5
tree. (Having learned my lesson about weird permissions, I did
'pre-create' the C:\cygwin-1.7 directory and set the inheritable
permissions on it the way I wanted em).

Now, I want to use setup-1.7 again to update the existing (1.7)
installation.  Observing this:

> To update the 1.7 tree you will
> unfortunately have to run through the above

That is, stop all 1.5 processes, remove the 1.5 mount entries from the
registry (using the umount command, not directly editing), and
temporarily rename your 1.5 tree just to be paranoid.

> each time, as setup-1.7 will
> still see the 1.5 mount table in the registry, so you have to hide it
> first and restore the 1.5 one afterwards.

I ran setup-1.7 and carefully entered the correct path to my cygwin-1.7
installation -- because setup found no registry info, it wanted to use
the default C:\cygwin, and tried to put my local package directory
inside C:\Windows\system32\...

Anyway, by the time I got to the chooser, setup-1.7 thought that I was
doing a brand new installation. I had all the base files selected!
That's not right.

It seems that, if setup-1.7 can't find mount information in the
registry, it assumes you have a brand new installation and doesn't try
to locate /etc/fstab and friends, much less /etc/setup/installed.db.

How can I use setup-1.7 to *update* -- not completely replace -- my
side-by-side cygwin-1.7 installation?

--
Chuck

* Re: setup-1.7 can't be used to update, only install
@ 2008-05-03  0:28 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-05-03  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: CygWin-Apps

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Anyway, by the time I got to the chooser, setup-1.7 thought that I was
> doing a brand new installation. I had all the base files selected!
> That's not right.

Urgh, you're right.  You'd have to temporarily switch the 1.5 mounts to
point to the 1.7 tree in order to get setup-1.7 to update an existing
1.7 tree... ugly as heck.

I have some patches mostly finished for setup to make this not quite so
crude.  There are still some corner cases that don't work correctly
which is why I haven't published anything yet.  I'll try to wrap it up
this weekend.

Brian

* Re: setup-1.7 can't be used to update, only install
@ 2008-05-03  1:47   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2008-05-03  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin-Apps

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Urgh, you're right.  You'd have to temporarily switch the 1.5 mounts to
> point to the 1.7 tree in order to get setup-1.7 to update an existing
> 1.7 tree... ugly as heck.

Yeah, I discovered that when I tried to use setup-2.588 (to update my
1.5 tree) before running the mounts.bat file.  Unsurprising, it behaved
exactly the same way...

> I have some patches mostly finished for setup to make this not quite so
> crude.  There are still some corner cases that don't work correctly
> which is why I haven't published anything yet.  I'll try to wrap it up
> this weekend.

That'd be very nice.

--

@ 2008-05-15  1:54   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2008-05-15  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin-Apps

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Urgh, you're right.  You'd have to temporarily switch the 1.5 mounts to
> point to the 1.7 tree in order to get setup-1.7 to update an existing
> 1.7 tree... ugly as heck.
>
> I have some patches mostly finished for setup to make this not quite so
> crude.  There are still some corner cases that don't work correctly
> which is why I haven't published anything yet.  I'll try to wrap it up
> this weekend.

Hey, Brian, any luck with this yet?  Any (small) places where you could
use some help?

--
Chuck