public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Re: irssi on cygwin on vista 64bit crashes with 0x00000135 in  cygperl5_8.dll
       [not found] ` <20080714100937.GB28868@calimero.vinschen.de>
@ 2008-07-14 10:17   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-07-14 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Reini Urban

Hi Reini,

On Jul 14 12:09, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jul 14 02:33, TB2 wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > It's a fresh vista ultimate 64bit install and I installed cygwin with
> > standard options + irssi, screen and rxvt. Everything working; rxvt and even
> > screen, but irssi crashes instantly upon execution, no matter if I use cmd
> > or rxvt as the shell, or if I start it remotely over ssh.
> >
> > The error code is 0x00000135
> > File: cygperl5_8.dll
>
> I assume it's 0xC0000135 and it means DLL not found.  It looks like you
> need Perl 5.8 for irssi to run.  Try to downgrade perl to 5.8.8-4 using
> setup.exe for now.

this sounds like a serious problem with the new perl release to me.
It breaks backward compatibility be just removing a DLL other packages
might rely upon.  If perl 5.10 is meant to be backward compatible with
5.8, shouldn't it offer a cygperl5_8.dll as well, for instance, a
hardlink?  However, wouldn't it be better in the long run to have a
cygperl5.dll?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: irssi on cygwin on vista 64bit crashes with 0x00000135 in  cygperl5_8.dll
@ 2008-07-14 14:09     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-07-14 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:18:29PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>Hi Reini,
>
>On Jul 14 12:09, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Jul 14 02:33, TB2 wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > It's a fresh vista ultimate 64bit install and I installed cygwin with
>> > standard options + irssi, screen and rxvt. Everything working; rxvt and even
>> > screen, but irssi crashes instantly upon execution, no matter if I use cmd
>> > or rxvt as the shell, or if I start it remotely over ssh.
>> >
>> > The error code is 0x00000135
>> > File: cygperl5_8.dll
>>
>> I assume it's 0xC0000135 and it means DLL not found.  It looks like you
>> need Perl 5.8 for irssi to run.  Try to downgrade perl to 5.8.8-4 using
>> setup.exe for now.
>
>this sounds like a serious problem with the new perl release to me.
>It breaks backward compatibility be just removing a DLL other packages
>might rely upon.  If perl 5.10 is meant to be backward compatible with
>5.8, shouldn't it offer a cygperl5_8.dll as well, for instance, a
>hardlink?  However, wouldn't it be better in the long run to have a
>cygperl5.dll?

FWIW, this has probably been the #1 problem on #cygwin irc channel at
freenode.net.  I've been suggesting that people should send email to the
correct forum.  It's nice (I guess) to see that someone finally did.

cgf

* Re: irssi on cygwin on vista 64bit crashes with 0x00000135 in  cygperl5_8.dll
@ 2008-07-14 17:17     ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2008-07-14 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Reini Urban

Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
> On Jul 14 12:09, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Jul 14 02:33, TB2 wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It's a fresh vista ultimate 64bit install and I installed cygwin with
>>> standard options + irssi, screen and rxvt. Everything working; rxvt and even
>>> screen, but irssi crashes instantly upon execution, no matter if I use cmd
>>> or rxvt as the shell, or if I start it remotely over ssh.
>>>
>>> The error code is 0x00000135
>>> File: cygperl5_8.dll
>> I assume it's 0xC0000135 and it means DLL not found.  It looks like you
>> need Perl 5.8 for irssi to run.  Try to downgrade perl to 5.8.8-4 using
>> setup.exe for now.

irssi needs to be upgraded. This was out of my radar. It uses an
embedded perl interpreter.

> this sounds like a serious problem with the new perl release to me.
> It breaks backward compatibility be just removing a DLL other packages
> might rely upon.

Yes.
But we'd need a full parallel perl-5.8 installation for this issue, not
just the dll in a seperate libperl58 package, which could be added to
the perl dependencies.

In theory I can prepare it, because I use dozens of parallel perls right
now, to test various packages against older versions.
But I rather want to break older packages and force those to be upgraded.

BTW: For me irssi works fine, because I have the dll and the full
library path.

> If perl 5.10 is meant to be backward compatible with
> 5.8, shouldn't it offer a cygperl5_8.dll as well, for instance, a
> hardlink?  However, wouldn't it be better in the long run to have a
> cygperl5.dll?

No, we are not binary ABI compatible with 5.8 anymore.
We just can support only the non-XS packages.
But we cannot support packages linking to the old 5.8 dll and not
packages using old 5.8 XS code.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/  http://murbreak.at/

* PING package maintainer Re: irssi on cygwin on vista 64bit crashes  with 0x00000135 in cygperl5_8.dll
@ 2008-07-14 17:36       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-07-14 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 07:22:13PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
> No, we are not binary ABI compatible with 5.8 anymore.
> We just can support only the non-XS packages.
> But we cannot support packages linking to the old 5.8 dll and not packages
> using old 5.8 XS code.

This is an issue for the package maintainer.  I've bcc'ed him, just in case.

cgf