public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* ITP: {lzma-utils/liblzmadec-devel/liblzmadec0}-4.32.7-1
@ 2008-08-24 18:00 Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2008-08-24 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin-Apps

One of these days, I'll learn to check cygwin-ports before porting a new
package.

http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/lzma-utils-4.32.7-1-src.tar.bz2
http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/lzma-utils-4.32.7-1.tar.bz2
http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/liblzmadec0-4.32.7-1.tar.bz2
http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/liblzmadec-devel-4.32.7-1.tar.bz2

Note that the lzma-utils package is essentially the same as the lzma
package provided by cygwin ports:

  * both are derived from the lzma-utils source code

  * BUT, lzma from cygwin-ports replaces the lzma in the
    cygwin distribution; it provides lzma.exe

  * this lzma-utils package co-exists with the lzma in the
    cygwin distribution; in fact it currently requires: it.
    * this is because my lzma-utils package renames its own
      lzma.exe to lzma_.exe.
    * eventually, I'd like to cooperate with the current cygwin
      lzma maintainer and use alternatives...

(The lzma in the cygwin distribution is derived from the LZMA SDK
source, but its lzma.exe program has been patched to provide an
identical command line interface to the one in the lzma-utils package,
as the upstream LZMA SDK lzma.exe command line interface is quite
bizarre. Confused? [***])

lzma-utils is in Debian, Gentoo, Red Hat, ... although sometimes under
the name 'lzma', even though all seem to be derived from the lzma-utils
source code, and not directly from the LZMA SDK source code.

The advantage of providing this lzma-utils package even though cygwin
already has lzma.exe from the lzma package, is that lzma-utils also
provides:
  liblzmadec
  lzcat
  lzcmp
  lzdiff
  lzegrep
  lzfgrep
  lzgrep
  lzless
  lzmadec.exe
  lzmainfo.exe
  lzmore
  unlzma
The scripts above use lzma.exe (NOT lzma_.exe). This works because of
[***] above.

--
Chuck

============= lzma-utils.hint ======================
sdesc: "Tools for manipulating LZMA compressed files"
ldesc: "lzma-utils is a friendly fork of the LZMA SDK
software, and provides tools and scripts for manipulating
LZMA-compressed files. These tools are inspired by the
ones shipped with gzip and bzip2: lzgrep, lzmore, etc.
It also provides an alternate implementation of the lzma
program, here named 'lzma_.exe' to avoid conflicting with
the 'lzma.exe' program shipped with the cygwin lzma package.
NOTE: both lzma_.exe and lzma.exe support identical command
line usage, because cygwin's lzma package has been patched
to resemble typical gzip/bzip2 usage, rather than the
somewhat odd command line interface of the original lzma.exe"
category: Utils
requires: cygwin liblzmadec0 lzma bash diffutils grep less

============= liblzmadec0.hint ======================
sdesc: "Decoding library for LZMA (runtime)
ldesc: "Provides decode support for LZMA-compressed files"
category: Libs
external-source: lzma-utils
requires: cygwin

============= liblzmadec-devel.hint ======================
sdesc: "Development package for the LZMA decoder library"
ldesc: "Provides the header files and libraries needed for
compiling programs using the LZMA decoder library liblzmadec0""""
category: Libs
external-source: lzma-utils
requires: cygwin liblzmadec0

* Re: ITP: {lzma-utils/liblzmadec-devel/liblzmadec0}-4.32.7-1
@ 2008-08-24 18:13 ` Jari Aalto
From: Jari Aalto @ 2008-08-24 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Charles Wilson <cygwin@cwilson.fastmail.fm> writes:

> (The lzma in the cygwin distribution is derived from the LZMA SDK
> source, but its lzma.exe program has been patched to provide an
> identical command line interface to the one in the lzma-utils package,
> as the upstream LZMA SDK lzma.exe command line interface is quite
> bizarre. Confused? [***])
>
> provides:
>   liblzmadec
>   lzcat
>   lzcmp
>   lzdiff
>   lzegrep
>   lzfgrep
>   lzgrep
>   lzless
>   lzmadec.exe
>   lzmainfo.exe
>   lzmore
>   unlzma

It seems that Debian package 'lzma' provides all these as well.
http://packages.debian.net/etch/lzma

> lzma-utils is in Debian, Gentoo, Red Hat, ... although sometimes under
> the name 'lzma', even though all seem to be derived from the lzma-utils
> source code, and not directly from the LZMA SDK source code.

I have no objection of dropping Cygwin 'lzma' package if you take over
the maintenance. The SDK + Debian patches (GNU --long option interface)
is pain to maintain because the SDK uses windows style CRLF.

Jari

* Re: ITP: {lzma-utils/liblzmadec-devel/liblzmadec0}-4.32.7-1
@ 2008-08-24 18:27   ` Yaakov (Cygwin Ports)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) @ 2008-08-24 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

* Re: ITP: {lzma-utils/liblzmadec-devel/liblzmadec0}-4.32.7-1
@ 2008-08-24 18:46   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2008-08-24 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin-Apps

Jari Aalto wrote:
> Charles Wilson <cygwin-+YAd1uT2djL3uN+rDzSBzrXvWnFrzL6o@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> lzma-utils is in Debian, Gentoo, Red Hat, ... although sometimes under
>> the name 'lzma', even though all seem to be derived from the lzma-utils
>> source code, and not directly from the LZMA SDK source code.
>
> I have no objection of dropping Cygwin 'lzma' package if you take over
> the maintenance. The SDK + Debian patches (GNU --long option interface)
> is pain to maintain because the SDK uses windows style CRLF.

I'm not unwilling, but I have one concern and one question:

Concern: I'm not entirely clear on the status of the code.

lzma-utils (stable) seems to be based on LZMA SDK 4.32, with certain
bugfixes backported.

Your lzma package is based on LZMA SDK 4.43.

The official LZMA SDK is up to 4.60.  It does not appear that lzma-utils
will resync to LZMA SDK until lzma-utils-5.0 is released -- whichever
decade that happens (current lzma-utils git SEEMS to be approximately
similar to LZMA SDK 4.5x...and moves like molasses)

Are we willing to "drop back" from LZMA SDK 4.43 to what is essentially
LZMA SDK 4.32+fixes?  I guess it's okay -- since most of the Linux
distros have chosen to do it, too.  Comments?

Question:
Should I follow Yaakov's example and ship an 'lzma' package that is
actually based on the lzma-utils source, or continue as I have with an
'lzma-utils' package and _obsolete the existing lzma package?

--
Chuck

* Re: ITP: {lzma-utils/liblzmadec-devel/liblzmadec0}-4.32.7-1
@ 2008-08-24 18:50 ` Yaakov (Cygwin Ports)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) @ 2008-08-24 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

* Re: ITP: {lzma-utils/liblzmadec-devel/liblzmadec0}-4.32.7-1
@ 2008-08-24 19:59   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2008-08-24 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin-Apps

Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
> As Jari has agreed, I would just replace the existing lzma with this
> one, as this is what most distros are using, unlzma is required by
> automake, and a few packages use liblzmadec.  So if you rename this to
> lzma (just get the curr: and prev: right!), then I say GTG.

Okay:

>> http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/lzma-utils-4.32.7-1-src.tar.bz2
>> http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/lzma-utils-4.32.7-1.tar.bz2
>> http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/liblzmadec0-4.32.7-1.tar.bz2
>> http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/liblzmadec-devel-4.32.7-1.tar.bz2

For (brief) historical interest, renamed to:
http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/lzma-utils-liblzmadec0-4.32.7-1.tar.bz2
http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/lzma-utils-liblzmadec-devel-4.32.7-1.tar.bz2
just so the original ITP files will be available for a bit longer.

New uploads:
http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/lzma-4.32.7-1-src.tar.bz2
http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/lzma-4.32.7-1.tar.bz2
http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/liblzmadec0-4.32.7-1.tar.bz2
http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/liblzmadec-devel-4.32.7-1.tar.bz2

Rewritten README (incorporate Jari's history; removed some no-longer
applicable stuff):
http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/lzma.README

New .hints:
============= lzma-utils.hint ======================
sdesc: "Tools for manipulating LZMA compressed files"
ldesc: "Data compression algorithm based on Lempel Ziv compression
method. It provides high compression ratio and very fast
decompression, so it is very suitable for embedded applications. For
example, it can be used for ROM (firmware) compressing. Small memory
requirements for decompressing. Based on the lzma-utils source
code, a (friendly) fork of the original LZMA SDK."
category: Archive
requires: cygwin liblzmadec0 bash diffutils grep less

============= liblzmadec0.hint ======================
sdesc: "Decoding library for LZMA (runtime)
ldesc: "Provides decode support for LZMA-compressed files"
category: Libs
external-source: lzma
requires: cygwin

============= liblzmadec-devel.hint ======================
sdesc: "Development package for the LZMA decoder library"
ldesc: "Provides the header files and libraries needed for
compiling programs using the LZMA decoder library liblzmadec0"
category: Libs Devel
external-source: lzma
requires: cygwin liblzmadec0

Still GTG?

--
Chuck

* Re: ITP: {lzma-utils/liblzmadec-devel/liblzmadec0}-4.32.7-1
@ 2008-08-25 16:16     ` Yaakov (Cygwin Ports)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) @ 2008-08-25 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

* Re: ITP: {lzma-utils/liblzmadec-devel/liblzmadec0}-4.32.7-1
@ 2008-08-26  2:26       ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2008-08-26  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin-Apps

Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:

> Why do you replace the provided manpage with your own?  Is this a
> remnant of the SDK lzma package?

Yep. Will fix.

> Looking at the diff, I would stick
> with the provided one.
>
> BTW, in lzma.README, cygport version *0*.3.x, not 3.x. :-)

Oops.

> Otherwise, GTG.  Just a reminder to either remove the lzma-4.4x
> packages, or set curr: and prev: on lzma/setup.hint.

My plan was to use curr: and prev:

> Could you do me a favour and release these as -2, so that they supersede
> the Ports releases as well (which I will then remove)?

Sure.

--
Chuck