public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* accumulated upset warnings: clisp, gnome, ImageMagick, libtool,  clamav, gnutls, guile, jasper, tetex, guile
@ 2008-08-20  4:35 Christopher Faylor
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-08-20  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

upset: *** warning package clisp-gtk2 refers to non-existent external-source: clisp
upset: *** warning package gnome-common requires non-existent package gnome-doc-utils
upset: *** warning package libMagick-devel requires non-existent package libfpx1-devel
upset: *** warning package libMagick6 refers to non-existent external-source: ImageMagick
upset: *** warning package libltdl3 refers to non-existent external-source: libtool
upset: *** warning package libltdl7 refers to non-existent external-source: libtool
upset: *** warning package gnome-common requires non-existent package gnome-doc-utils
upset: *** warning package libMagick-devel requires non-existent package libfpx1-devel
upset: *** warning package libMagick10 refers to non-existent external-source: ImageMagick
upset: *** warning package libMagick6 refers to non-existent external-source: ImageMagick
upset: *** warning package libclamav2 refers to non-existent external-source: clamav
upset: *** warning package libclamav3 refers to non-existent external-source: clamav
upset: *** warning package libgnutls11 refers to non-existent external-source: gnutls
upset: *** warning package libguile12 refers to non-existent external-source: guile
upset: *** warning package libjasper1.701_0 refers to non-existent external-source: jasper
upset: *** warning package libkpathsea3 refers to non-existent external-source: tetex-bin
upset: *** warning package libltdl3 refers to non-existent external-source: libtool

While playing with the noautodep feature of upset I found that the cron
invocation for upset was silently dropping warnings.

The above is the result of a couple of months worth of inattention.

Remember that when using external-source, upset only knows about
packages that eventually show up in setup.ini.  So if you have a
top-level package:

prev: package-1.1-2
curr: package-1.1-3

and in another subdirectory of the main package:

curr: package-sub-1.1-1
external-source: package

upset will not currently find the external-source for package-sub
because it only knows aboue 1.1-2 and 1.1-3.

I have taken a stab at fixing this in upset from time to time but it
always turns out to be more hairy than I'd anticipated.

So package maintainers please fix your packages so that Corinna and I
won't see a flood of email about this.

cgf

* Re: accumulated upset warnings: clisp, gnome, ImageMagick, libtool,   clamav, gnutls, guile, jasper, tetex, guile
@ 2008-08-20  5:17 ` Charles Wilson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Charles Wilson @ 2008-08-20  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin-Apps

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> upset: *** warning package libltdl3 refers to non-existent external-source: libtool
> upset: *** warning package libltdl7 refers to non-existent external-source: libtool
> upset: *** warning package libltdl3 refers to non-existent external-source: libtool

in release-2, libltdl3/1.5.27a-1 referred to libtool/1.5.27a-1, but it
doesn't exist in release-2. So, I copied the -src package from
release/libtool into release-2/libtool/libltdl3, renamed it, and removed
the external-source:

For release-2/libltdl7, everything looks fine.
For release/, everything looks fine.

I don't get it.

--
Chuck

* Re: accumulated upset warnings: clisp, gnome, ImageMagick, libtool,   clamav, gnutls, guile, jasper, tetex, guile
@ 2008-08-20  5:50 ` Yaakov (Cygwin Ports)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) @ 2008-08-20  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

* Re: accumulated upset warnings: clisp, gnome, ImageMagick, libtool, clamav, gnutls, guile, jasper, tetex, guile
@ 2008-08-20  7:06 ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2008-08-20  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

2008/8/20 Christopher Faylor:
> upset: *** warning package clisp-gtk2 refers to non-existent external-source: clisp

The current clisp-gtk2 is obsolete (not provided), but the prev works fine,
and the next will probably also work fine. Well, I'm in good hope at least.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/ http://murbreak.at/

* Re: accumulated upset warnings: clisp, gnome, ImageMagick,  libtool,  clamav, gnutls, guile, jasper, tetex, guile
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-08-20 15:57 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-08-20 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I've modified upset to make it clearer where the messages were coming
from and fixed the remaining problems:

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 03:10:22PM -0000, upset wrote:
>upset: *** setup.ini: warning - package clisp-gtk2 refers to non-existent external-source: clisp

Removed the older package.

>upset: *** setup.ini: warning - package libMagick-devel requires non-existent package libfpx1-devel

libfpx1-devl -> libfpx-devel

>upset: *** setup.ini: warning - package libMagick6 refers to non-existent external-source: ImageMagick

The source is actually gone.  I commented out the external-source.
Should this package be obsoleted?

>upset: *** setup.ini: warning - package libltdl3 refers to non-existent external-source: libtool

Removed libltdl3-1.5.25a-1.tar.bz2.

>upset: *** setup.ini: warning - package libltdl7 refers to non-existent external-source: libtool

Removed libltdl7-2.2.2-1.tar.bz2.

>upset: *** setup-2.ini: warning - package libMagick-devel requires non-existent package libfpx1-devel
>upset: *** setup-2.ini: warning - package libMagick10 refers to non-existent external-source: ImageMagick
>upset: *** setup-2.ini: warning - package libMagick6 refers to non-existent external-source: ImageMagick
>upset: *** setup-2.ini: warning - package libclamav2 refers to non-existent external-source: clamav
>upset: *** setup-2.ini: warning - package libclamav3 refers to non-existent external-source: clamav
>upset: *** setup-2.ini: warning - package libgnutls11 refers to non-existent external-source: gnutls
>upset: *** setup-2.ini: warning - package libguile12 refers to non-existent external-source: guile
>upset: *** setup-2.ini: warning - package libjasper1.701_0 refers to non-existent external-source: jasper
>upset: *** setup-2.ini: warning - package libkpathsea3 refers to non-existent external-source: tetex-bin

All of the below were fixed either by the changes in the main release
area or by re-exposing the appropriate files in the union mount.  Sorry
that I didn't recognize this as a problem with the way I generated the
release-2 area.  I didn't think the problems were *that* old.  Please
don't anyone tell the GPL police that we weren't providing sources.

@ 2008-08-20 16:08   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-08-20 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Aug 20 11:56, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >upset: *** setup.ini: warning - package libMagick6 refers to non-existent external-source: ImageMagick
>
> The source is actually gone.  I commented out the external-source.
> Should this package be obsoleted?

IMHO, yes.  No other package relies on it.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: accumulated upset warnings: clisp, gnome, ImageMagick,  libtool,   clamav, gnutls, guile, jasper, tetex, guile
@ 2008-08-20 16:43   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2008-08-20 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin-Apps

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> upset: *** setup.ini: warning - package libltdl3 refers to non-existent external-source: libtool
>
> Removed libltdl3-1.5.25a-1.tar.bz2.
>
>> upset: *** setup.ini: warning - package libltdl7 refers to non-existent external-source: libtool
>
> Removed libltdl7-2.2.2-1.tar.bz2.

But why?

[cwilson@sourceware libtool]$ pwd
...pub/cygwin/release/libtool

[cwilson@sourceware libtool]$ ls
libltdl3                       libtool-1.5.27a-1-src.tar.bz2
libtool-2.2.2-2-src.tar.bz2    md5.sum
libltdl7                       libtool-1.5.27a-1.tar.bz2
libtool-2.2.2-2.tar.bz2        setup.hint
libtool-1.5.25a-1-src.tar.bz2  libtool-2.2.2-1-src.tar.bz2    libtool1.5
libtool-1.5.25a-1.tar.bz2      libtool-2.2.2-1.tar.bz2        libtool2.2

There's libtool-1.5.25a-1-src, and libtool-2.2.2-1-src, right there!

--
Chuck

* Re: accumulated upset warnings: clisp, gnome, ImageMagick,  libtool,   clamav, gnutls, guile, jasper, tetex, guile
@ 2008-08-20 17:31     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-08-20 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 12:41:40PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>>> upset: *** setup.ini: warning - package libltdl3 refers to non-existent external-source: libtool
>>
>> Removed libltdl3-1.5.25a-1.tar.bz2.
>>
>>> upset: *** setup.ini: warning - package libltdl7 refers to non-existent external-source: libtool
>>
>> Removed libltdl7-2.2.2-1.tar.bz2.
>
>But why?
>
>[cwilson@sourceware libtool]$ pwd
>...pub/cygwin/release/libtool
>
>[cwilson@sourceware libtool]$ ls
>libltdl3                       libtool-1.5.27a-1-src.tar.bz2
>libtool-2.2.2-2-src.tar.bz2    md5.sum
>libltdl7                       libtool-1.5.27a-1.tar.bz2
>libtool-2.2.2-2.tar.bz2        setup.hint
>libtool-1.5.25a-1-src.tar.bz2  libtool-2.2.2-1-src.tar.bz2    libtool1.5
>libtool-1.5.25a-1.tar.bz2      libtool-2.2.2-1.tar.bz2        libtool2.2
>
>There's libtool-1.5.25a-1-src, and libtool-2.2.2-1-src, right there!

I explained this in the first message of this thread.  For
external-source, upset only knows about files that would show up in
setup.ini:

  % grep libtool-1.5.25a-1-src setup.ini
  %

@ 2008-08-20 19:23       ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2008-08-20 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin-Apps

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I explained this in the first message of this thread.  For
> external-source, upset only knows about files that would show up in
> setup.ini:
>
>   % grep libtool-1.5.25a-1-src setup.ini
>   %

Now I get what is different about libtool, and every other "library"
package I've ever managed through multiple releases.

Usually, the "old" lib*N/ directories contain exactly one binary file,
and a copy-and-renamed-version of the appropriate -src package.  the
"current" lib*N directory contains some number x binary packages. The
top-level directory contains the same number x -src packages. If x > 3,
that's ok: because the 4,5,6... versions of the "old" lib*N package
don't show up in setup.ini either -- so it doesn't matter that their
corresponding -src packages don't show up in that file.

However, in the case of libtool, I (was) trying to keep both libltdl3/
and libltdl7/ "active".  Which means libltdl3/ might have 2 or 3 entries
-- all of which appear in setup.ini.  AND libltdl7 might have 2 or 3
entries which all appear in setup.ini.  But that means I'd need 4 or 6
version of the libtool*-src package in setup.ini.  Bang, you're dead.

Well, it's water under the bridge now: I'm pretty happy with
libtool-2.2.x.  I think after the upcoming 2.2.6 release I'll officially
stop supporting libtool-1.5.x, clean out the libltdl3/ directory of all
but the most recent, and then libtool will be just like any other
library-providing package.

--
Chuck

* Re: accumulated upset warnings: clisp, gnome, ImageMagick,  libtool,     clamav, gnutls, guile, jasper, tetex, guile
@ 2008-08-31  4:33         ` Yaakov (Cygwin Ports)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) @ 2008-08-31  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps