public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITA] apr1-1.3.3-1
@ 2008-09-01  2:24 David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2008-09-01  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapps

I would like to adopt APR. I've packaged the latest release (1.3.3).

I've changed the package structure as follows:
~ * libapr1: Runtime library and documentation.
~ * libapr1-devel: Development headers and libraries.
~ * apr1: Source package.

apr1 is marked obsolete and depends on libapr1 to provide a
transition from the old package structure.

apr1 setup.hint
category: _obsolete
requires: libapr1
sdesc: "Apache Portable Runtime core library (source)"
ldesc: "The mission of the Apache Portable Runtime (APR) project is to
create and maintain software libraries that provide a predictable and
consistent interface to underlying platform-specific implementations.
The primary goal is to provide an API to which software developers may
code and be assured of predictable if not identical behaviour regardless
of the platform on which their software is built, relieving them of the
need to code special-case conditions to work around or take advantage of
platform-specific deficiencies or features."

libapr1 setup.hint
category: Libs
requires: cygwin
external-source: apr1
sdesc: "Apache Portable Runtime core library (runtime)"
ldesc: "The mission of the Apache Portable Runtime (APR) project is to
create and maintain software libraries that provide a predictable and
consistent interface to underlying platform-specific implementations.
The primary goal is to provide an API to which software developers may
code and be assured of predictable if not identical behaviour regardless
of the platform on which their software is built, relieving them of the
need to code special-case conditions to work around or take advantage of
platform-specific deficiencies or features."

libapr1-devel setup.hint
category: Libs
requires: cygwin libapr1
external-source: apr1
sdesc: "Apache Portable Runtime core library (libdevel)"
ldesc: "The mission of the Apache Portable Runtime (APR) project is to
create and maintain software libraries that provide a predictable and
consistent interface to underlying platform-specific implementations.
The primary goal is to provide an API to which software developers may
code and be assured of predictable if not identical behaviour regardless
of the platform on which their software is built, relieving them of the
need to code special-case conditions to work around or take advantage of
platform-specific deficiencies or features."

download:
wget -x -nH --cut-dirs=2 \
~  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin//apr1/apr1-1.3.3-1-src.tar.bz2 \
~  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin//apr1/apr1-1.3.3-1.tar.bz2 \
~  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin//apr1/libapr1-devel/libapr1-devel-1.3.3-1.tar.bz2 \
~  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin//apr1/libapr1-devel/setup.hint \
~  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin//apr1/libapr1/libapr1-1.3.3-1.tar.bz2 \
~  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin//apr1/libapr1/setup.hint \
~  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin//apr1/setup.hint

- --

Entreprenuer, n.:
~        A high-rolling risk taker who would rather
~        be a spectacular failure than a dismal success.

* Re: [ITA] apr1-1.3.3-1
@ 2008-09-01  2:43 ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2008-09-01  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

It seems my mailer messed up the download command when I signed the
message. Here it is again:

download:
wget -x -nH --cut-dirs=2 \
  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin//apr1/apr1-1.3.3-1-src.tar.bz2 \
  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin//apr1/apr1-1.3.3-1.tar.bz2 \
  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin//apr1/libapr1-devel/libapr1-devel-1.3.3-1.tar.bz2 \
  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin//apr1/libapr1-devel/setup.hint \
  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin//apr1/libapr1/libapr1-1.3.3-1.tar.bz2 \
  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin//apr1/libapr1/setup.hint \
  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin//apr1/setup.hint

"I'm a mean green mother from outer space"
                -- Audrey II, The Little Shop of Horrors

* Re: [ITA] apr1-1.3.3-1
@ 2008-09-01  3:06 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-09-01  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rothenberger; +Cc: cygapps

David Rothenberger wrote:

> I've changed the package structure as follows:
> ~ * libapr1: Runtime library and documentation.
> ~ * libapr1-devel: Development headers and libraries.
> ~ * apr1: Source package.

Something seems wrong here.  At the moment for the ABI=1 version we
have:

@ apr1
sdesc: "The Apache Portable Runtime (development/documentation package)"
category: Libs Devel
requires: cygwin libapr1

@ libapr1
sdesc: "The Apache Portable Runtime (runtime package)"
category: Libs
requires: cygwin

Okay, so you want to rename apr1 to apr1-devel, that makes some sense.
But why does apr1 continue to contain just the source?  Why not just
have apr1-devel contain the source and make apr1 a completely empty
package?  I don't think category _obsolete should contain any packages
that contain current versions, it should either be older ABI versions
(awaiting remaining clients to be rebuilt) or empty dummy packages to
support renaming/splitting.

Does this also mean that you will take over these as well:

@ aprutil1
sdesc: "Additional utility library for use with the Apache Portable
Runtime (development/documentation package)"
category: Libs Devel
requires: cygwin libaprutil1 apr1 libdb4.2-devel libgdbm-devel

@ libaprutil1
sdesc: "Additional utility library for use with the Apache Portable
Runtime (runtime package)"
category: Libs
requires: cygwin libapr1 libexpat0 libiconv2 libdb4.2 libgdbm4 crypt

Also, there are these four old ABI=0 packages to deal with:

@ apr
sdesc: "The Apache Portable Runtime (development/documentation package)"
category: _obsolete
requires: cygwin libapr0

@ libapr0

@ apr-util
sdesc: "Additional utility library for use with the Apache Portable
Runtime (development/documentation package)"
category: _obsolete
requires: cygwin libaprutil0 apr

@ libaprutil0
sdesc: "Additional utility library for use with the Apache Portable
Runtime (runtime package)"
category: _obsolete
requires: cygwin libapr0 expat libiconv2 libdb4.2 libgdbm4 crypt

I can't find anything in current setup.ini that actually requires these
ABI=0 versions (other than themselves) so can't we just delete the above
four outright?

Or, how about the following idea: repurpose the the package named "apr"
(which was previously the ABI=0 one) to be the main documentation and
source package for the current ABI=1, so that we'd have:

@ apr
sdesc: "The Apache Portable Runtime"
category: Libs
requires: libapr1 libapr1-devel

@ apr1
sdesc: "Empty placeholder"
category: _obsolete
requires: libapr1

@ libapr1
sdesc: "The Apache Portable Runtime (runtime)"
category: Libs
external-source: apr
requires: cygwin

@ libapr1-devel
sdesc: "The Apache Portable Runtime (headers)"
category: Libs Devel
external-source: apr
requires: libapr1

Brian

* Re: [ITA] apr1-1.3.3-1
@ 2008-09-01  6:16   ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2008-09-01  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 8/31/2008 8:05 PM, Brian Dessent wrote:
> David Rothenberger wrote:
>
>> I've changed the package structure as follows:
>> ~ * libapr1: Runtime library and documentation.
>> ~ * libapr1-devel: Development headers and libraries.
>> ~ * apr1: Source package.
>
> Something seems wrong here.
[snip]

> Okay, so you want to rename apr1 to apr1-devel, that makes some sense.
> But why does apr1 continue to contain just the source?  Why not just
> have apr1-devel contain the source and make apr1 a completely empty
> package?

Okay. I'll rebuild with apr1 being an empty transition package and
libapr1 containing the source.

> Does this also mean that you will take over these as well:
>
> @ aprutil1
> @ libaprutil1

Yes, I'm working on those as well.

> Also, there are these four old ABI=0 packages to deal with:
>
> @ apr
> @ libapr0
> @ apr-util
> @ libaprutil0
>
> I can't find anything in current setup.ini that actually requires these
> ABI=0 versions (other than themselves) so can't we just delete the above
> four outright?

I guess so.

> Or, how about the following idea: repurpose the the package named "apr"
> (which was previously the ABI=0 one) to be the main documentation and
> source package for the current ABI=1

I don't see any reason to put the documentation in a separate package,
so I'm going to go with

   libapr1: runtime and documentation, source
   libapr1-devel: development

XIIdigitation, n.:
         The practice of trying to determine the year a movie was made
         by deciphering the Roman numerals at the end of the credits.
                 -- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"

* [ITA] libapr1-1.3.3-1
@ 2008-09-01  8:02     ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2008-09-01  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 8/31/2008 11:14 PM, David Rothenberger wrote:
> On 8/31/2008 8:05 PM, Brian Dessent wrote:
>> David Rothenberger wrote:
>>
>>> I've changed the package structure as follows:
>>> ~ * libapr1: Runtime library and documentation.
>>> ~ * libapr1-devel: Development headers and libraries.
>>> ~ * apr1: Source package.
>>
>> Something seems wrong here.
> [snip]
>>
>> Okay, so you want to rename apr1 to apr1-devel, that makes some sense.
>> But why does apr1 continue to contain just the source?  Why not just
>> have apr1-devel contain the source and make apr1 a completely empty
>> package?
>
> Okay. I'll rebuild with apr1 being an empty transition package and
> libapr1 containing the source.

Okay, here are the updated packages.

I've changed the package structure as follows:
 * libapr1: Runtime library and documentation.
 * libapr1-devel: Development headers and libraries.
 * apr1: Empty transition library.

apr1 is marked obsolete and depends on libapr1-devel to provide a
transition from the old package structure.

apr1 setup.hint
category: _obsolete
requires: libapr1-devel
external-source: libapr1
sdesc: "Apache Portable Runtime core library (transition package)"
[...]

sdesc: "Apache Portable Runtime core library (Development)"
ldesc: "The mission of the Apache Portable Runtime (APR) project is to
create and maintain software libraries that provide a predictable and
consistent interface to underlying platform-specific implementations.
The primary goal is to provide an API to which software developers may
code and be assured of predictable if not identical behaviour regardless
of the platform on which their software is built, relieving them of the
need to code special-case conditions to work around or take advantage of
platform-specific deficiencies or features."

download:
wget -x -nH --cut-dirs=2 \
  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin/libapr1/apr1/apr1-1.3.3-1.tar.bz2 \
  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin/libapr1/apr1/setup.hint \
  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin/libapr1/libapr1-1.3.3-1-src.tar.bz2 \
  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin/libapr1/libapr1-1.3.3-1.tar.bz2 \
  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin/libapr1/libapr1-devel/libapr1-devel-1.3.3-1.tar.bz2 \
  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin/libapr1/libapr1-devel/setup.hint \
  http://mysite.verizon.net/res00a7j/cygwin/libapr1/setup.hint

"Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile."
                -- Karl Lehenbauer

* Re: [ITA] libapr1-1.3.3-1
@ 2008-09-15 15:26       ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2008-09-15 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Ping.

Is there anything else I need to do for this package before it is uploaded?

On 9/1/2008 1:01 AM, David Rothenberger wrote:
> [...]
> need to code special-case conditions to work around or take advantage of
> platform-specific deficiencies or features."
>
> libapr1-devel setup.hint
> category: Libs
> requires: cygwin libapr1
> external-source: libapr1
> sdesc: "Apache Portable Runtime core library (Development)"
> ldesc: "The mission of the Apache Portable Runtime (APR) project is to
> create and maintain software libraries that provide a predictable and
> consistent interface to underlying platform-specific implementations.
> The primary goal is to provide an API to which software developers may
> code and be assured of predictable if not identical behaviour regardless
> of the platform on which their software is built, relieving them of the
> need to code special-case conditions to work around or take advantage of
> platform-specific deficiencies or features."

Sex is like air.  It's only a big deal if you can't get any.

* Re: [ITA] libapr1-1.3.3-1
@ 2008-09-29 16:35         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-09-29 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Sep 15 08:25, David Rothenberger wrote:
> Ping.
>
> Is there anything else I need to do for this package before it is uploaded?

If nobody else is looking into these packages, I'll do it later this
week.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: [ITA] libapr1-1.3.3-1
@ 2008-10-06  8:09           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-10-06  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Sep 29 18:34, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Sep 15 08:25, David Rothenberger wrote:
> > Ping.
> >
> > Is there anything else I need to do for this package before it is uploaded?
>
> If nobody else is looking into these packages, I'll do it later this
> week.

I didn't forget and I still have this on my plate.  I'm still not quite
back to normal, sorry.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: [ITA] libapr1-1.3.3-1
@ 2008-10-06 15:14             ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2008-10-06 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> On Sep 29 18:34, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Sep 15 08:25, David Rothenberger wrote:
>>> Ping.
>>>
>>> Is there anything else I need to do for this package before it is uploaded?
>> If nobody else is looking into these packages, I'll do it later this
>> week.
>
> I didn't forget and I still have this on my plate.  I'm still not quite
> back to normal, sorry.

No problem. I understand that it can take a while to get back to normal
after a holiday.

Bombeck's Rule of Medicine:
         Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.

* Re: [ITA] libapr1-1.3.3-1
@ 2008-10-07 14:44               ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-10-07 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Oct  6 08:13, David Rothenberger wrote:

>>> If nobody else is looking into these packages, I'll do it later this
>>> week.
>> I didn't forget and I still have this on my plate.  I'm still not quite
>> back to normal, sorry.
>
> No problem. I understand that it can take a while to get back to normal
> after a holiday.

Holiday + Sickness = :(   Only the holiday is over, though.

I had a quick look and the basic packaging looks ok.  What bugs me
a bit is the new layout.

Old:

  apr1 --- libapr1

New:

  libapr1 -+- apr1
           +- libapr1-devel

I guess we should better move the apr1 dir into the _obsolete dir, then
just leave the libapr1 dir at top level:

  _obsolete --- apr1
  libapr1   --- libapr1-devel

Same for the aprutil1/libaprutil1 dirs.  Is that what you intended?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: [ITA] libapr1-1.3.3-1
@ 2008-10-07 15:13                 ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2008-10-07 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> On Oct  6 08:13, David Rothenberger wrote:

>>> I didn't forget and I still have this on my plate.  I'm still not quite
>>> back to normal, sorry.
>> No problem. I understand that it can take a while to get back to normal
>> after a holiday.
>
> Holiday + Sickness = :(   Only the holiday is over, though.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon.

> I had a quick look and the basic packaging looks ok.  What bugs me
> a bit is the new layout.
>
> Old:
>
>   apr1 --- libapr1
>
> New:
>
>   libapr1 -+- apr1
>            +- libapr1-devel
>
> I guess we should better move the apr1 dir into the _obsolete dir, then
> just leave the libapr1 dir at top level:
>
>   _obsolete --- apr1
>   libapr1   --- libapr1-devel
>
> Same for the aprutil1/libaprutil1 dirs.  Is that what you intended?

I hadn't thought about the directory layout, but I think that will work.
apr1 and aprutil1 are both empty transition packages that are marked
obsolete, so they can (should?) go under _obsolete I guess.

Do you want me to restructure the packages on my server to match this
layout?

Steinbach's Guideline for Systems Programming:
         Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle.

* Re: [ITA] libapr1-1.3.3-1
@ 2008-10-07 16:19                   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-10-07 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Oct  7 08:12, David Rothenberger wrote:
>> I guess we should better move the apr1 dir into the _obsolete dir, then
>> just leave the libapr1 dir at top level:
>>   _obsolete --- apr1
>>   libapr1   --- libapr1-devel
>> Same for the aprutil1/libaprutil1 dirs.  Is that what you intended?
>
> I hadn't thought about the directory layout, but I think that will work.
> apr1 and aprutil1 are both empty transition packages that are marked
> obsolete, so they can (should?) go under _obsolete I guess.
>
> Do you want me to restructure the packages on my server to match this
> layout?

No worries, I did that on sourceware.  Uploaded.  Thanks for taking
over maintainership!

Corinna

Red Hat