public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* First time packager questions
@ 2008-11-06  0:28 Ralph Hempel
From: Ralph Hempel @ 2008-11-06  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I am shortly going to ITP my first package (Lua) and have a few
questions:

0. Should I use cygport to build my package? I've got a clean
    source tree and I've made changes in a separate tree to make
    it easier to generate diffs.

    Also, I've designed my own make scripts to build everything
    correctly in a separate output tree, ie I don't build in the
    source tree.

    The make scripts even generate a staged version of the final
    installation directories to make tarball generation easy.

1. Should my build make just a .dll file to link against, or should
    I also provide a .a library for static linking?

    It's easy to get mixed up with static and dynamic linking so
    I'd rather provide one "standard" way to do this.

2. If I'm planning on adding a few "standard" Lua libraries like
    LuaSQL, LuaFileSystem, and LuaSocket, should they be separate
    ITPs?

    I'd rather build all the libraries at once and provide them in
    the build system, since it's a real pain for a typical user to
    build these libraries under Cygwin.

3. I'm currently using Cygwin 1.7 and gcc-4 to build and test
    this out, but should I do it for 1.5 as well?

    I could go back and use Cygwin 1.5 and the standard gcc but
    if 1.7 will be out soon, then I'd rather make a clean break.

Cheers, Ralph

* Re: First time packager questions
@ 2008-11-06  0:56 ` Yaakov (Cygwin Ports)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) @ 2008-11-06  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

* Re: First time packager questions
@ 2008-11-06  1:08   ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-11-06  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Ralph Hempel wrote:

> 1. Should my build make just a .dll file to link against, or should
>     I also provide a .a library for static linking?

You need to provide an import library for the DLL regardless of whether
you decide to also support a static version of the library.

"Yaakov (Cygwin Ports)" wrote:

> > 3. I'm currently using Cygwin 1.7 and gcc-4 to build and test
> >    this out, but should I do it for 1.5 as well?
>
> gcc-4.3 is not yet finalized; it should not be used for building
> packages going into the distro.

And obviously it should go without saying that you can't upload packages
built using 1.7 to the main distro either.

Brian

* Re: First time packager questions
@ 2008-11-06  1:21   ` Ralph Hempel
From: Ralph Hempel @ 2008-11-06  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:

>> 0. Should I use cygport to build my package? I've got a clean
>>    source tree and I've made changes in a separate tree to make
>>    it easier to generate diffs.
>
> If you want to package lua, you may find this useful:
>
> http://cygwin-ports.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cygwin-ports/ports/trunk/lang/lua5.1/

Hmmm - I never thought to look there, apparently you've
done a lot of the work already :-)

And looking at the ports list, it seems that all the libs I
was hoping to port over are already there!

Is there any value at all in building a package targeted for
the "official" Cygwin setup?

And do you need some help in getting the Lua stuff in ports
updated to the latest versions?

Ralph

PS. A brief answer here is OK, and then I'll move the discussin
     to cygwin-ports if it turns out that's where we're going

* Re: First time packager questions
@ 2008-11-06  1:42     ` Yaakov (Cygwin Ports)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) @ 2008-11-06  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps