On 8/31/2011 22:12, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > On Aug 31 09:54, Charles Wilson wrote: >> On 8/31/2011 5:48 AM, JonY wrote: >>> C++ ABI for 4.6.x has also changed for mingw* (including mingw.org) >>> with the introduction of thiscall, not sure if this will affect >>> Cygwin itself. >> [...] >> OTOH, the cygwin project DOES provide several precompiled C++ >> packages, so cygwin will probably need to do a flag day for them (when >> cygwin-gcc-4.6 is released), but I don't think the cygwin package >> ITSELF would be affected. > > I don't think this is necessary, unless __thiscall will become default > behaviour in g++. However, I guess this is the responsibility of the > gcc maintainer for a given target. For 32 bit Cygwin I would not do it, > for 64 bit it might make sense, though. > > > Corinna > I have always thought about mingw* and Cygwin as a tightly coupled target, but good point, __thiscall is meant for better compatibility with MSVC. It wouldn't be a big deal for Cygwin to stay with the current ABI, while mingw* will move to the new default.