public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] google-breakpad
@ 2014-02-18 13:28 Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2014-02-18 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

These packages contain the minidump analysis part of breakpad, a
multi-platform crash reporting and analysis system using minidumps.

It doesn't make much sense to package the libbreakpad_client crash handling
library, as this conflicts with cygwin's error_start facility.  It might make
some sense to make MinGW cross-compiled packages of libbreakpad_client in the
future.

I can't find this in any major linux distribution, so votes are required.

* google-breakpad-tools

This package contains the minidump_dump and minidump_stackwalk tools

The breakpad_dump_syms tool for generating breakpad symbol files has been
patched to read DWARF debug sections from a PE/COFF file (but see [1]).

The core2md and md2core tools to convert between minidump and core files have
not been ported.

The symsrv_convert tool, which reads PDB debug info from a MS symbol server
and converts it to a breakpad symbol file is very hard to port, as it uses the
MS DIA SDK and ATL.

setup.hint:

category: Devel
requires: libcurl4 libstdc++6
sdesc: "google-breakpad (tools)"
ldesc: "google-breakpad (tools)"
external-source: google-breakpad

* google-breakpad-devel

This package contains libbreakpad, a library for minidump processing.

setup.hint:

category: Devel
requires:
sdesc: "google-breakpad (minidump processing library)"
ldesc: "google-breakpad (minidump processing library)"
external-source: google-breakpad

files:

http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/x86/release/google-breakpad/google-breakpad-1279-1-src.tar.xz
http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/x86/release/google-breakpad/google-breakpad-tools/google-breakpad-tools-1279-1.tar.xz
http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/x86/release/google-breakpad/google-breakpad-devel/google-breakpad-devel-1279-1.tar.xz

license:

BSD 3-Clause License

[1] But this is currently not much use with modules produced by the GNU
toolchain.  breakpad locates the corresponding symbol files using a unique
build-id recorded for each module in the minidump.   For the Windows minidump
writer, this takes the form of a 'CodeView record'.  Modules produced by the
GNU toolchain do not have CodeView records, although I have written an example
patch to add this [2].
[2] https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2014-01/msg00296.html

* Re: [ITP] google-breakpad
@ 2014-02-20 19:55 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-02-20 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi Jon,

On Feb 18 13:28, Jon TURNEY wrote:

> These packages contain the minidump analysis part of breakpad, a
> multi-platform crash reporting and analysis system using minidumps.
>
> It doesn't make much sense to package the libbreakpad_client crash handling
> library, as this conflicts with cygwin's error_start facility.  It might make
> some sense to make MinGW cross-compiled packages of libbreakpad_client in the
> future.
>
> I can't find this in any major linux distribution, so votes are required.
>
> * google-breakpad-tools
>
> This package contains the minidump_dump and minidump_stackwalk tools
>
> The breakpad_dump_syms tool for generating breakpad symbol files has been
> patched to read DWARF debug sections from a PE/COFF file (but see [1]).
>
> The core2md and md2core tools to convert between minidump and core files have
> not been ported.
>
> The symsrv_convert tool, which reads PDB debug info from a MS symbol server
> and converts it to a breakpad symbol file is very hard to port, as it uses the
> MS DIA SDK and ATL.
>
> setup.hint:
>
> category: Devel
> requires: libcurl4 libstdc++6
> sdesc: "google-breakpad (tools)"
> ldesc: "google-breakpad (tools)"
> external-source: google-breakpad
>
> * google-breakpad-devel
>
> This package contains libbreakpad, a library for minidump processing.
>
> setup.hint:
>
> category: Devel
> requires:
> sdesc: "google-breakpad (minidump processing library)"
> ldesc: "google-breakpad (minidump processing library)"
> external-source: google-breakpad
>
> files:
>
> http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/x86/release/google-breakpad/google-breakpad-1279-1-src.tar.xz
> http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/x86/release/google-breakpad/google-breakpad-tools/google-breakpad-tools-1279-1.tar.xz
> http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/x86/release/google-breakpad/google-breakpad-devel/google-breakpad-devel-1279-1.tar.xz

Packaging looks fine and I think this is interesting new functionality,
so I vote +1.  However, did you only provide a 32 bit package for a
reason?

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: [ITP] google-breakpad
@ 2014-02-21  2:23 ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2014-02-21  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2014-02-18 07:28, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> These packages contain the minidump analysis part of breakpad, a
> multi-platform crash reporting and analysis system using minidumps.
>
> It doesn't make much sense to package the libbreakpad_client crash handling
> library, as this conflicts with cygwin's error_start facility.  It might make
> some sense to make MinGW cross-compiled packages of libbreakpad_client in the
> future.
>
> I can't find this in any major linux distribution, so votes are required.

+1

Yaakov

* Re: [ITP] google-breakpad
@ 2014-02-21  2:43   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-02-21  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 08:23:47PM -0600, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>On 2014-02-18 07:28, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>> These packages contain the minidump analysis part of breakpad, a
>> multi-platform crash reporting and analysis system using minidumps.
>>
>> It doesn't make much sense to package the libbreakpad_client crash handling
>> library, as this conflicts with cygwin's error_start facility.  It might make
>> some sense to make MinGW cross-compiled packages of libbreakpad_client in the
>> future.
>>
>> I can't find this in any major linux distribution, so votes are required.
>
>+1

+1

cgf

* Re: [ITP] google-breakpad (VOTE)
@ 2014-02-21  6:09     ` Jari Aalto
From: Jari Aalto @ 2014-02-21  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

<cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please(at)cygwin.com>:
| On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 08:23:47PM -0600, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
|
| >On 2014-02-18 07:28, Jon TURNEY wrote:
| >> These packages contain the minidump analysis part of breakpad, a
| >> multi-platform crash reporting and analysis system using minidumps.
| >>
| >> It doesn't make much sense to package the libbreakpad_client crash handling
| >> library, as this conflicts with cygwin's error_start facility.  It might make
| >> some sense to make MinGW cross-compiled packages of libbreakpad_client in the
| >> future.
| >>
| >> I can't find this in any major linux distribution, so votes are required.
| >
| >+1
|
| cgf: +1

Jari: +1

* Re: [ITP] google-breakpad
@ 2014-02-23 15:48   ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2014-02-23 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 20/02/2014 19:55, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Feb 18 13:28, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>
>> files:
>>
>> http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/x86/release/google-breakpad/google-breakpad-1279-1-src.tar.xz
>> http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/x86/release/google-breakpad/google-breakpad-tools/google-breakpad-tools-1279-1.tar.xz
>> http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/x86/release/google-breakpad/google-breakpad-devel/google-breakpad-devel-1279-1.tar.xz
>
> Packaging looks fine and I think this is interesting new functionality,
> so I vote +1.  However, did you only provide a 32 bit package for a
> reason?

An oversight on my part. 64-bit packages can be found at:

http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/x86_64/release/google-breakpad/google-breakpad-devel/google-breakpad-devel-1279-1.tar.xz
http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/x86_64/release/google-breakpad/google-breakpad-tools/google-breakpad-tools-1279-1.tar.xz

* Re: [ITP] google-breakpad (VOTE)
@ 2014-02-28 13:00       ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2014-02-28 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 21/02/2014 06:09, Jari Aalto wrote:
> <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please(at)cygwin.com>:

> | >+1
> |
> | cgf: +1
>
> Jari: +1

Just... one... more.... vote...

* Re: [ITP] google-breakpad (VOTE)
@ 2014-02-28 15:47         ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2014-02-28 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

    > On 21/02/2014 06:09, Jari Aalto wrote:
    >> <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please(at)cygwin.com>:

    >> | cgf: +1
    >>
    >> Jari: +1

    > Just... one... more.... vote...

Here you go... +1

Ciao
  Volker

* Re: [ITP] google-breakpad (VOTE)
@ 2014-02-28 17:09         ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-02-28 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 28/02/2014 14:00, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 21/02/2014 06:09, Jari Aalto wrote:
>> <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please(at)cygwin.com>:

>> | cgf: +1
>>
>> Jari: +1
>
> Just... one... more.... vote...

I counted 5 with you...