public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] mp3info-0.8.5a
@ 2014-05-28 23:25 Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2014-05-28 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I'd like to maintain mp3info for Cygwin.  It does not have a good build
system, but it's simple and I somewhat managed it to work.  Besides
using it as a standalone utility, it can be used in Emacs EMMS (that's
in fact is why I need it).

Project page: http://ibiblio.org/mp3info/
Debian package: https://packages.debian.org/stable/sound/mp3info

http://fgunbin.fastmail.fm/pub/mp3info-cygwin/mp3info-0.8.5a-1.tar.xz
http://fgunbin.fastmail.fm/pub/mp3info-cygwin/mp3info-0.8.5a-1-src.tar.xz
http://fgunbin.fastmail.fm/pub/mp3info-cygwin/setup.hint
http://fgunbin.fastmail.fm/pub/mp3info-cygwin/mp3info-gtk/mp3info-gtk-0.8.5a-1.tar.xz
http://fgunbin.fastmail.fm/pub/mp3info-cygwin/mp3info-gtk/setup.hint

category: Audio
requires: libgcc1 libncurses10
sdesc: "An MP3 technical info viewer and ID3 1.x tag editor"
ldesc: "MP3Info is a little utility used to read and modify the
ID3 tags of MP3 files. MP3Info can also display various technical
aspects of an MP3 file including playing time, bit-rate, sampling
frequency and other attributes in a pre-defined or user-specifiable
output format."

category: Audio
requires: libgcc1 libglib2.0_0 libgtk2.0_0
sdesc: "An MP3 technical info viewer and ID3 1.x tag editor (GTK GUI)"
ldesc: "MP3Info is a little utility used to read and modify the
ID3 tags of MP3 files. MP3Info can also display various technical
aspects of an MP3 file including playing time, bit-rate, sampling
frequency and other attributes in a pre-defined or user-specifiable
output format."
external-source: mp3info

Thanks.

--
Filipp Gunbin

* Re: [ITP] mp3info-0.8.5a
@ 2014-05-29 17:26 ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2014-05-29 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2014-05-28 18:26, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
> I'd like to maintain mp3info for Cygwin.  It does not have a good build
> system, but it's simple and I somewhat managed it to work.  Besides
> using it as a standalone utility, it can be used in Emacs EMMS (that's
> in fact is why I need it).

Sorry; our policy is to not include MP3 software in the distribution, so
unfortunately this package cannot be accepted.

I hope you will still consider becoming a maintainer for another
package.  There are always packages needing new maintainers; these are
marked as ORPHANED here:

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint

Yaakov

* Re: [ITP] mp3info-0.8.5a
@ 2014-05-29 18:45   ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2014-05-29 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 29/05/2014 21:26 +0400, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:

> On 2014-05-28 18:26, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
>> I'd like to maintain mp3info for Cygwin.  It does not have a good build
>> system, but it's simple and I somewhat managed it to work.  Besides
>> using it as a standalone utility, it can be used in Emacs EMMS (that's
>> in fact is why I need it).
>
> Sorry; our policy is to not include MP3 software in the distribution,
> so unfortunately this package cannot be accepted.
>
> I hope you will still consider becoming a maintainer for another
> package.  There are always packages needing new maintainers; these are
> marked as ORPHANED here:
>
> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint
>

> Yaakov

That's a pity!  No need to say what a huge amount of music is
distributed in mp3 nowadays (that's a pity, too).

Anyway, thanks.

Filipp

* Re: [ITP] mp3info-0.8.5a
@ 2014-05-29 22:14   ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2014-05-29 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 29/05/14 18:26, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> Sorry; our policy is to not include MP3 software in the distribution,
> so unfortunately this package cannot be accepted.

Could you possibly elaborate on this please, as I wasn't aware of this
policy. I presume that it's something like licence issues (not free as
in freedom) or the risk of patent violation surrounding MP3.

I ask because a little while ago I managed to put a typo in a tag of a
number of MP4 files, and corrected these by building AtomicParsley [1]
for Cygwin. I had intended to offer it here, in case someone else found
it useful. If AtomicParsley falls under the same policy then that's
fine; I'll strike it off my list of things to do.

Thanks in advance for clarifying,

Dave.

[1] http://atomicparsley.sourceforge.net/

* Re: [ITP] mp3info-0.8.5a
@ 2014-05-30 15:28     ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2014-05-30 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items#MP3_Support

> I ask because a little while ago I managed to put a typo in a tag of a
> number of MP4 files, and corrected these by building AtomicParsley [1]
> for Cygwin. I had intended to offer it here, in case someone else found
> it useful. If AtomicParsley falls under the same policy then that's
> fine; I'll strike it off my list of things to do.

The issues with some multimedia formats generally only apply to playing
or writing the actual media stream (as mp3info does), not to reading the
metadata ("tags").  Note that libid3tag and taglib are both in the
distro for this reason.

Similarly, AtomicParsley falls in the latter category, and is already in
Fedora, so feel free to ITP it if you wish.  The latest versions have
been moved to BitBucket though:

https://bitbucket.org/wez/atomicparsley/downloads

HTH,

Yaakov

* Re: [ITP] mp3info-0.8.5a
@ 2014-05-30 23:22       ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2014-05-30 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 30/05/2014 19:28 +0400, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:

> On 2014-05-29 17:14, David Stacey wrote:
>> On 29/05/14 18:26, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>>> Sorry; our policy is to not include MP3 software in the distribution,
>>> so unfortunately this package cannot be accepted.
>>
>> Could you possibly elaborate on this please, as I wasn't aware of this
>> policy. I presume that it's something like licence issues (not free as
>> in freedom) or the risk of patent violation surrounding MP3.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items#MP3_Support
>
>> I ask because a little while ago I managed to put a typo in a tag of a
>> number of MP4 files, and corrected these by building AtomicParsley [1]
>> for Cygwin. I had intended to offer it here, in case someone else found
>> it useful. If AtomicParsley falls under the same policy then that's
>> fine; I'll strike it off my list of things to do.
>
> The issues with some multimedia formats generally only apply to
> playing or writing the actual media stream (as mp3info does), not to
> reading the metadata ("tags").  Note that libid3tag and taglib are
> both in the distro for this reason.
>
> Similarly, AtomicParsley falls in the latter category, and is already
> in Fedora, so feel free to ITP it if you wish.  The latest versions
> have been moved to BitBucket though:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/wez/atomicparsley/downloads
>
> HTH,
>

> Yaakov

mp3info does not write or play mp3 stream (but it may read the stream
when given -r or -x switches, I don't know exactly). Are we talking
about the same program?

Filipp

* Re: [ITP] mp3info-0.8.5a
@ 2014-05-31  0:40         ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2014-05-31  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2014-05-30 18:22, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
> mp3info does not write or play mp3 stream (but it may read the stream
> when given -r or -x switches, I don't know exactly).

And that's exactly why we can't allow it.

Yaakov

* Re: [ITP] mp3info-0.8.5a
@ 2014-05-31 22:58           ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2014-05-31 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 31/05/2014 04:40 +0400, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:

> On 2014-05-30 18:22, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
>> mp3info does not write or play mp3 stream (but it may read the stream
>> when given -r or -x switches, I don't know exactly).
>
> And that's exactly why we can't allow it.
>

> Yaakov

My final attempt: what if we remove those switches in a cygwin-specific patch?

Filipp

* Re: [ITP] mp3info-0.8.5a
@ 2014-06-02  0:08             ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2014-06-02  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2014-05-31 17:58, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
>> On 2014-05-30 18:22, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
>>> mp3info does not write or play mp3 stream (but it may read the stream
>>> when given -r or -x switches, I don't know exactly).
>>
>> And that's exactly why we can't allow it.
>
> My final attempt: what if we remove those switches in a cygwin-specific patch?

No.

Yaakov