public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-05-20 16:40 Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-05-20 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Packages as generated by cygport can be found here:
http://breisch.me/cygwin/man-db-64/

These are just the 64-bit versions. Once these are approved, I'll upload
32-bit versions as well. Unless you'd prefer I did it in the reverse
order. It doesn't really matter to me. :)

The libraries, libman.a and libmandb.a, are not able to be packaged as
shared archives, it appears to me. They both have undefined external
symbols.

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-05-21  8:47 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-05-21  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On May 20 12:40, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> Packages as generated by cygport can be found here:
> http://breisch.me/cygwin/man-db-64/

No go.  I'm getting 404 errors for each file in this directory.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-05-21 18:44   ` waterlan
From: waterlan @ 2014-05-21 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen schreef op 2014-05-21 10:47:
> On May 20 12:40, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
>> Packages as generated by cygport can be found here:
>> http://breisch.me/cygwin/man-db-64/
>
> No go.  I'm getting 404 errors for each file in this directory.

Me too.

Server Error
404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-05-22  0:28     ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-05-22  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

waterlan wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen schreef op 2014-05-21 10:47:
>> On May 20 12:40, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
>>> Packages as generated by cygport can be found here:
>>> http://breisch.me/cygwin/man-db-64/
>>
>> No go. I'm getting 404 errors for each file in this directory.
>
> Me too.
>
> Server Error
> 404 - File or directory not found.
> The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
> changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Ok. I'll put something new up tonight either here or elsewhere.

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-05-30 14:22       ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-05-30 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> waterlan wrote:
>> Corinna Vinschen schreef op 2014-05-21 10:47:
>>>
>>> No go. I'm getting 404 errors for each file in this directory.
>>
>> Me too.
>>
>> Server Error
>> 404 - File or directory not found.
>> The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
>> changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
>>

> Ok. I'll put something new up tonight either here or elsewhere.

Ok, so it took me longer than expected. I had a crisis come up at work
that's been chewing up all my time for the last week.

Still, I've put up a new set of files, now. I eliminated the library
package for a few reasons.
	1) The libraries can't be compiled into DLL's without some effort. They
appear to have unresolved references.
	2) There's no simple set of include files related to just the
libraries. I could put out all of the includes, but it looks to me as if
that would get messy rather quickly.

I also updated the postinstall and preremove scripts to handle creation
and removal of the database.
The files can be found at: http://files.breisch.me/pub/cygwin/man-db-64/

This being my first attempt, I'm sure I've done something wrong. :) Just
let me know what it is and I'll fix it promptly (and it actually should
be promptly this time as my crisis is now under control).

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-05-30 17:32         ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2014-05-30 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I started reviewing this, see inline.

On 2014-05-30 09:22, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> Still, I've put up a new set of files, now. I eliminated the library
> package for a few reasons.
>      1) The libraries can't be compiled into DLL's without some effort.
> They appear to have unresolved references.

I'm looking into this.

>      2) There's no simple set of include files related to just the
> libraries. I could put out all of the includes, but it looks to me as if
> that would get messy rather quickly.

These libraries are private, that's why no headers are installed.  The
libraries are shared just to save space by not duplicating the same
objects in all the binaries.  So even if shared libraries can be built,
the question will really be if it's worth the trouble.

> I also updated the postinstall and preremove scripts to handle creation
> and removal of the database.
> The files can be found at: http://files.breisch.me/pub/cygwin/man-db-64/
>
> This being my first attempt, I'm sure I've done something wrong. :) Just
> let me know what it is and I'll fix it promptly (and it actually should
> be promptly this time as my crisis is now under control).

Looking at Fedora's packaging, a few changes are definitely needed; I'll
have more time for this early next week.

Thanks,

Yaakov

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-06-01 23:57           ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2014-06-01 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2014-05-30 12:32, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> I started reviewing this, see inline.

My modifications can be found here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/cygwin-ports/man-db/

> On 2014-05-30 09:22, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
>> Still, I've put up a new set of files, now. I eliminated the library
>> package for a few reasons.
>>      1) The libraries can't be compiled into DLL's without some effort.
>> They appear to have unresolved references.
>
> I'm looking into this.

There are two issues here:

1) The "undefined symbols not allowed in $host shared libraries" warning
just means that you need to add -no-undefined to *_la_LDFLAGS.  In fact,
that's the only issue with making libman shared.  (See my
2.6.7-shared-libman.patch)

2) OTOH, libmandb also depends on two global variables which are meant
to be defined by executables.  In order to make this shared, the global
declarations need to be moved to libmandb itself, while the executables
still define their values, making for a somewhat larger patch.  (See my
2.6.7-shared-libmandb.patch)

This latter patch may be harder to carry from one version to the next,
and if another executable is added which depends on libmandb and you
forget to adapt it accordingly, it will crash.  So I'm actually going to
suggest that you NOT use the latter, and leave libmandb static (which is
the smaller of the two anyway).

>>      2) There's no simple set of include files related to just the
>> libraries. I could put out all of the includes, but it looks to me as if
>> that would get messy rather quickly.
>
> These libraries are private, that's why no headers are installed.  The
> libraries are shared just to save space by not duplicating the same
> objects in all the binaries.

This stands; there should be neither a -libs nor -devel subpackage.

>> I also updated the postinstall and preremove scripts to handle creation
>> and removal of the database.

I made some changes to these, but I'm wondering if we need a special
_update-mandb package (similar to _update-info-dir) to manage this
instead.  Thoughts?

>> This being my first attempt, I'm sure I've done something wrong. :) Just
>> let me know what it is and I'll fix it promptly (and it actually should
>> be promptly this time as my crisis is now under control).

Other changes I made:

* Use explicit --with-browser and --with-pager flags to not be affected
by builder's environment (e.g., on my system BROWSER=epiphany :-), and
added these to REQUIRES.

* po4a is a build requirement for localized manpages of man itself; I
just added this to the 64-bit distribution, and will attempt to do so
soon for the 32-bit distribution as well.

Please review the changes I made in my .cygport, let me know if you have
any questions.

Yaakov

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-06-02 11:35             ` waterlan
From: waterlan @ 2014-06-02 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) schreef op 2014-06-02 01:57:

> * po4a is a build requirement for localized manpages of man itself; I
> just added this to the 64-bit distribution, and will attempt to do so
> soon for the 32-bit distribution as well.

Thanks a lot! I need po4a too for dos2unix and wcd when I build from
maintainer-clean. Until now I got po4a from Cygwin Ports.

--
Erwin

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-06-02 15:36             ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-06-02 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I replied to this off-list accidentally.

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
 > On 2014-05-30 12:32, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
 >> I started reviewing this, see inline.
 >
 > My modifications can be found here:
 >
 > https://sourceforge.net/p/cygwin-ports/man-db/
 >
 >> On 2014-05-30 09:22, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
 >>> Still, I've put up a new set of files, now. I eliminated the library
 >>> package for a few reasons.
 >>> 1) The libraries can't be compiled into DLL's without some effort.
 >>> They appear to have unresolved references.
 >>
 >> I'm looking into this.
 >
 > There are two issues here:
 >
 > 1) The "undefined symbols not allowed in $host shared libraries" warning
 > just means that you need to add -no-undefined to *_la_LDFLAGS. In fact,
 > that's the only issue with making libman shared. (See my
 > 2.6.7-shared-libman.patch)
 >
 > 2) OTOH, libmandb also depends on two global variables which are meant
 > to be defined by executables. In order to make this shared, the global
 > declarations need to be moved to libmandb itself, while the executables
 > still define their values, making for a somewhat larger patch. (See my
 > 2.6.7-shared-libmandb.patch)

Yes, it figures. I had looked into libmandb, not libman. And had noticed
this, so I never went any farther.

 > This latter patch may be harder to carry from one version to the next,
 > and if another executable is added which depends on libmandb and you
 > forget to adapt it accordingly, it will crash. So I'm actually going to
 > suggest that you NOT use the latter, and leave libmandb static (which is
 > the smaller of the two anyway).

Makes sense to me.

 >>> 2) There's no simple set of include files related to just the
 >>> libraries. I could put out all of the includes, but it looks to me
as if
 >>> that would get messy rather quickly.
 >>
 >> These libraries are private, that's why no headers are installed. The
 >> libraries are shared just to save space by not duplicating the same
 >> objects in all the binaries.
 >
 > This stands; there should be neither a -libs nor -devel subpackage.
 >
 >>> I also updated the postinstall and preremove scripts to handle creation
 >>> and removal of the database.
 >
 > I made some changes to these, but I'm wondering if we need a special
 > _update-mandb package (similar to _update-info-dir) to manage this
 > instead. Thoughts?

Possibly. It would not be a bad idea for the database to updated when
new packages are installed. However, it looks like to me that
update-info-dir wipes and recreates the info files. It's rather time
consuming to create the initial mandb database, and I'd be hesitant
about doing that every time someone installs something. Perhaps I'm
misunderstanding what you're suggesting.

 >>> This being my first attempt, I'm sure I've done something wrong. Just
 >>> let me know what it is and I'll fix it promptly (and it actually should
 >>> be promptly this time as my crisis is now under control).
 >
 > Other changes I made:
 >
 > * Use explicit --with-browser and --with-pager flags to not be affected
 > by builder's environment (e.g., on my system BROWSER=epiphany , and
 > added these to REQUIRES.

Ok.

 > * po4a is a build requirement for localized manpages of man itself; I
 > just added this to the 64-bit distribution, and will attempt to do so
 > soon for the 32-bit distribution as well.

Ok
 > Please review the changes I made in my .cygport, let me know if you have
 > any questions.

I think this looks good. I'll see about producing another build in the
morning using these patches. I'm away from the machine I've been
building from at the moment.

 > Yaakov

Thanks, Yaakov. This has been a big help.

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-06-02 15:37               ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-06-02 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> I replied to this off-list accidentally.
>
> Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>  > On 2014-05-30 12:32, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>  >> I started reviewing this, see inline.
>  >
>  > My modifications can be found here:
>  >
>  > https://sourceforge.net/p/cygwin-ports/man-db/

I've incorporated Yaakov's patches. There is a new version at

@ 2014-06-02 16:41                 ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2014-06-02 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2014-06-02 10:37, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> Chris J. Breisch wrote:
>> I replied to this off-list accidentally.
>>
>> Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>>  > On 2014-05-30 12:32, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>>  >> I started reviewing this, see inline.
>>  >
>>  > My modifications can be found here:
>>  >
>>  > https://sourceforge.net/p/cygwin-ports/man-db/
>
> I've incorporated Yaakov's patches. There is a new version at
> http://files.breisch.me/pub/cygwin/man-db-64/

The setup.hint looks like it wasn't replaced.

Yaakov

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-06-02 21:12                   ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-06-02 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On 2014-06-02 10:37, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
>> Chris J. Breisch wrote:
>>> I replied to this off-list accidentally.

>> I've incorporated Yaakov's patches. There is a new version at
>> http://files.breisch.me/pub/cygwin/man-db-64/
>
> The setup.hint looks like it wasn't replaced.

Shouldn't it have been replaced if I did a cygport man-db.cygport all? I
just copied the dist folder it created up to the web. Am I missing some
key bit?

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-06-03 22:20                     ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-06-03 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2014-06-02 16:12, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>> On 2014-06-02 10:37, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
>>> I've incorporated Yaakov's patches. There is a new version at
>>> http://files.breisch.me/pub/cygwin/man-db-64/
>>
>> The setup.hint looks like it wasn't replaced.
>>
> Shouldn't it have been replaced if I did a cygport man-db.cygport all? I
> just copied the dist folder it created up to the web. Am I missing some
> key bit?

The tarballs look new, but the setup.hint is definitely old.  Depending
on how you uploaded these files, maybe you forgot to overwrite that one?

Yaakov

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-06-03 23:50                       ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-06-03 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2014-06-02 16:12, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
>> Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>>>
>>> The setup.hint looks like it wasn't replaced.
>>>
>> Shouldn't it have been replaced if I did a cygport man-db.cygport all? I
>> just copied the dist folder it created up to the web. Am I missing some
>> key bit?
>
> The tarballs look new, but the setup.hint is definitely old. Depending
> on how you uploaded these files, maybe you forgot to overwrite that one?
>

> Yaakov

No, I deleted everything. I also deleted the build tree before running
cygport.

I'll do it again, but the setup.hint that's up there is the one created
by cygport after I included your patches.

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-06-04 11:32                         ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-06-04 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

>>> Shouldn't it have been replaced if I did a cygport man-db.cygport all? I
>>> just copied the dist folder it created up to the web. Am I missing some
>>> key bit?
>>
>> The tarballs look new, but the setup.hint is definitely old. Depending
>> on how you uploaded these files, maybe you forgot to overwrite that one?
>>

>> Yaakov
>>

> No, I deleted everything. I also deleted the build tree before running
> cygport.
>
> I'll do it again, but the setup.hint that's up there is the one created
> by cygport after I included your patches.

Ok, I figured it out. I had forgotten that I actually had a setup.hint
file and that cygport wasn't creating it. I built it correctly now, I
think. I'll be uploading a new one within the hour.

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-06-04 16:03                           ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-06-04 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> Ok, I figured it out. I had forgotten that I actually had a setup.hint
> file and that cygport wasn't creating it. I built it correctly now, I
> think. I'll be uploading a new one within the hour.

http://files.breisch.me/pub/cygwin/man-db-64

and

http://files.breisch.me/pub/cygwin/man-db-32

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-06-06 23:50                             ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-06-06 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2014-06-04 11:03, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> Chris J. Breisch wrote:
>> Ok, I figured it out. I had forgotten that I actually had a setup.hint
>> file and that cygport wasn't creating it. I built it correctly now, I
>> think. I'll be uploading a new one within the hour.
>
> http://files.breisch.me/pub/cygwin/man-db-64
> and
> http://files.breisch.me/pub/cygwin/man-db-32

These look good.  Please request upload permissions per the directions here:

https://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/package-upload.html

I have entered you as the man-db maintainer in cygwin-pkg-maint.  Once
your SSH key has been imported, you can follow the directions on that
same page to upload your packages.

Thanks for your contribution!

Yaakov

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-06-07  0:08                               ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-06-07  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

> I have entered you as the man-db maintainer in cygwin-pkg-maint. Once
> your SSH key has been imported, you can follow the directions on that
> same page to upload your packages.
>
> Thanks for your contribution!

Thank you for all your assistance, Yaakov.

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: [ITP] man-db
@ 2014-06-07 10:47                               ` Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2014-06-07 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Op 7-6-2014 1:50 Yaakov Selkowitz schreef:
> On 2014-06-04 11:03, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
>> Chris J. Breisch wrote:
>>> Ok, I figured it out. I had forgotten that I actually had a setup.hint
>>> file and that cygport wasn't creating it. I built it correctly now, I
>>> think. I'll be uploading a new one within the hour.
>>
>> http://files.breisch.me/pub/cygwin/man-db-64
>> and
>> http://files.breisch.me/pub/cygwin/man-db-32
>
> These look good.  Please request upload permissions per the directions
> here:
>
> https://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/package-upload.html
>
> I have entered you as the man-db maintainer in cygwin-pkg-maint. Once
> your SSH key has been imported, you can follow the directions on that
> same page to upload your packages.
>
> Thanks for your contribution!

Big thanks Chris, for helping with the man-db port!

I hope that in time this package will become the default man system on
Cygwin.

best regards,