public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* HEADSUP MAINTAINERS: flat upload layout
@ 2014-08-11 23:45 Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-08-11 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

In order to better manage upload permissions, effective immediately,
each and every current primary/source package has its own directory
directly underneath $arch/release.  Those packages that were previously
nested have been moved accordingly, for example:

x86/release/db/*
x86/release/singular/*
$arch/release/ghostscript/ghostscript-fonts-*/
$arch/release/libggi/*
$arch/release/mingw64-i686/*
$arch/release/mingw64-x86_64/*
$arch/release/octave/octave-* (those not actual subpackages of 'octave')
$arch/release/perl/perl-* (those not actual subpackages of 'perl')
$arch/release/python/python-* (those not actual subpackages of 'python')
$arch/release/SuiteSparse/*
$arch/release/TeX/*
$arch/release/unison/*
$arch/release/X11/*

So please remember when you upload from now on, all packages go straight
into $arch/release/.

Thanks,

Yaakov

* Re: HEADSUP MAINTAINERS: flat upload layout
@ 2014-08-12  7:45 ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2014-08-12  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Am 12.08.2014 01:45, schrieb Yaakov Selkowitz:
> In order to better manage upload permissions, effective immediately,
> each and every current primary/source package has its own directory
> directly underneath $arch/release.  Those packages that were
> previously nested have been moved accordingly, for example:
>
> x86/release/db/*
> x86/release/singular/*
> $arch/release/ghostscript/ghostscript-fonts-*/
>
> So please remember when you upload from now on, all packages go
> straight into $arch/release/.
While revising the upload structure, please consider folding out the
source package (e.g. into no-arch/ or src/) because it's not a
convincing burden to have to upload the same package twice.
Thanks
Thomas

* Re: HEADSUP MAINTAINERS: flat upload layout
@ 2014-08-12  8:59   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-08-12  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Aug 12 09:45, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 12.08.2014 01:45, schrieb Yaakov Selkowitz:
> >In order to better manage upload permissions, effective immediately, each
> >and every current primary/source package has its own directory directly
> >underneath $arch/release.  Those packages that were previously nested have
> >been moved accordingly, for example:
> >
> >x86/release/db/*
> >x86/release/singular/*
> >$arch/release/ghostscript/ghostscript-fonts-*/
> >
> >So please remember when you upload from now on, all packages go straight
> >into $arch/release/.
> While revising the upload structure, please consider folding out the source
> package (e.g. into no-arch/ or src/) because it's not a convincing burden to
> have to upload the same package twice.

Yes, that's something we should certainly contemplate medium-term.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: HEADSUP MAINTAINERS: flat upload layout
@ 2014-08-15 17:21     ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-08-15 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, 2014-08-12 at 10:59 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug 12 09:45, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> > While revising the upload structure, please consider folding out the source
> > package (e.g. into no-arch/ or src/) because it's not a convincing burden to
> > have to upload the same package twice.
>
> Yes, that's something we should certainly contemplate medium-term.

upset doesn't like having the same package in multiple locations, so I'm
not sure if the -src packages can be separate.

However, what I did suggest earlier was to have a separate
noarch/release hierarchy for entirely noarch packages, which would
prevent having to upload noarch twice:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2013-03/msg00126.html

I do this with Ports and it works quite well, but then again I'm the
only one uploading there.

@ 2014-08-15 20:11       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-08-15 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Aug 15 12:21, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-08-12 at 10:59 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Aug 12 09:45, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> > > While revising the upload structure, please consider folding out the source
> > > package (e.g. into no-arch/ or src/) because it's not a convincing burden to
> > > have to upload the same package twice.
> >
> > Yes, that's something we should certainly contemplate medium-term.
>
> upset doesn't like having the same package in multiple locations, so I'm
> not sure if the -src packages can be separate.
>
> However, what I did suggest earlier was to have a separate
> noarch/release hierarchy for entirely noarch packages, which would
> prevent having to upload noarch twice:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2013-03/msg00126.html
>
> I do this with Ports and it works quite well, but then again I'm the
> only one uploading there.

Shouldn't be much of a difference, as long as the upload script
understands a noarch dir parallel to the x86 and x86_64 dirs,
isn't it?

@ 2014-08-15 20:22         ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-08-15 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, 2014-08-15 at 22:11 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug 15 12:21, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> > However, what I did suggest earlier was to have a separate
> > noarch/release hierarchy for entirely noarch packages, which would
> > prevent having to upload noarch twice:
> >
> > http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2013-03/msg00126.html
> >
> > I do this with Ports and it works quite well, but then again I'm the
> > only one uploading there.
>
> Shouldn't be much of a difference, as long as the upload script
> understands a noarch dir parallel to the x86 and x86_64 dirs,
> isn't it?

A few things would have to be changed on the infrastructure side, but I
think it's doable.  The biggest issue may be that maintainers need to
mark their packages ARCH=noarch as appropriate, and then remember to
upload to a separate directory.  The latter could be simplified with the
"cygport upload" proposal, should we decide to do this with noarch in
the first place.

@ 2014-08-15 20:46           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-08-15 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Yaakov Selkowitz writes:
> A few things would have to be changed on the infrastructure side, but I
> think it's doable.  The biggest issue may be that maintainers need to
> mark their packages ARCH=noarch as appropriate, and then remember to
> upload to a separate directory.  The latter could be simplified with the
> "cygport upload" proposal, should we decide to do this with noarch in
> the first place.

That only really works for pure noarch packages of which there aren't
all that many.  As you say, this is doable today with not too much
manual work.  A larger benefit would be to split "normal" packages into
their arch and noarch part (roughly, between executables and scripts and
documentation).  That was one of the reasons I'd have preferred multiple
build directories in the same work directory for cygport, but we're
having something different now.

In any case, setup.exe is much more flexible than most people give it
credit for, I'm using my own install hierarchy layout with three
parallel package trees (cygwin, cygport and patches) and three branches
below that (noarch, x86 and x86_64), although noarch is empty for
cygwin.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: HEADSUP MAINTAINERS: flat upload layout
@ 2014-08-15 21:14             ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-08-15 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, 2014-08-15 at 22:46 +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
> That only really works for pure noarch packages of which there aren't
> all that many.

There are more than you think.  In Ports, over 46% of the source
packages are completely noarch.

> As you say, this is doable today with not too much
> manual work.  A larger benefit would be to split "normal" packages into
> their arch and noarch part (roughly, between executables and scripts and
> documentation).

This would result in a single package being uploaded into multiple
directories; I'm not sure how practical that would be to implement.

@ 2014-08-16 11:16       ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2014-08-16 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Am 15.08.2014 19:21, schrieb Yaakov Selkowitz:
> On Tue, 2014-08-12 at 10:59 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Aug 12 09:45, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>>> While revising the upload structure, please consider folding out the source
>>> package (e.g. into no-arch/ or src/) because it's not a convincing burden to
>>> have to upload the same package twice.
>> Yes, that's something we should certainly contemplate medium-term.
> upset doesn't like having the same package in multiple locations, so I'm
> not sure if the -src packages can be separate.
?? This doesn't seem to address what I was suggesting.
Right now, the srce packages for x86 and x86_64 *have* to be separate,
although they are identical.
And the simple ftp server doesn't even support the ln (hard link) option
that sftp and lftp provide,
much to my annoyance when I first uploaded a new package myself and
wanted to optimise the procedure, considering my slow upload link (of a
typical asymmetric subscriber line, maybe you have different access in
your country and don't care...).
Thomas

> However, what I did suggest earlier was to have a separate
> noarch/release hierarchy for entirely noarch packages, which would
> prevent having to upload noarch twice:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2013-03/msg00126.html
>
> I do this with Ports and it works quite well, but then again I'm the
> only one uploading there.
>

> Yaakov

---