public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Inetutils 1.9.4
@ 2015-07-13 18:07 D. Boland
From: D. Boland @ 2015-07-13 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin applications

Hi group,

I am working on the release of the recently adopted inetutils package. I
noticed that parts of this package are being released seperately:

PROGRAM		PACKAGE		MAINTAINER
whois		whois		David R.
hostname	hostname	Christian F.

Should/can I adopt these packages too?

Cheers,
Daniel

* Re: Inetutils 1.9.4
@ 2015-07-13 18:56 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-07-13 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 7/13/2015 8:07 PM, D. Boland wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> I am working on the release of the recently adopted inetutils package. I
> noticed that parts of this package are being released seperately:
>
> PROGRAM        PACKAGE        MAINTAINER
> whois        whois        David R.
> hostname    hostname    Christian F.
>
> Should/can I adopt these packages too?
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Are whois and hostname coming from the same source ?

If so up to David and Christian to decide for their package,
if not you need to remove the two from the package to avoid
collision.

Regards
Marco

* Re: Inetutils 1.9.4
@ 2015-07-13 20:03   ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2015-07-13 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 7/13/2015 11:56 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 7/13/2015 8:07 PM, D. Boland wrote:
>> Hi group,
>>
>> I am working on the release of the recently adopted inetutils package. I
>> noticed that parts of this package are being released seperately:
>>
>> PROGRAM        PACKAGE        MAINTAINER
>> whois        whois        David R.
>> hostname    hostname    Christian F.
>>
>> Should/can I adopt these packages too?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Daniel
>
> Are whois and hostname coming from the same source ?
>
> If so up to David and Christian to decide for their package,
> if not you need to remove the two from the package to avoid
> collision.

I don't think whois is coming from the inetutils sources. I'd like to
retain that package, so please exclude whois (and the man page) from the
inetutils package.

ignorance, n.:
        When you don't know anything, and someone else finds out.

* Re: Inetutils 1.9.4
@ 2015-07-13 20:23 ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2015-07-13 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

D. Boland wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> I am working on the release of the recently adopted inetutils package.
> I noticed that parts of this package are being released seperately:
>
> PROGRAM        PACKAGE        MAINTAINER
> whois        whois        David R.
> hostname    hostname    Christian F.
>
> Should/can I adopt these packages too?

Note that using the inetutils version of hostname would require to place
it in a separate package. The hostname command should be in category 'Base'.

Does the inetutils version work 'better' than the current (Debian) version?
Try hostname options -f -i -I -a -A and 'domainname' command on a
machine which is member of a domain.

Regards,
Christian