public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: cygport: 'announce' feature branch
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 23:23:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 11/3/2015 3:06 AM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> I just created a new 'announce' feature branch in cygport git:
>
> https://github.com/cygwinports/cygport/tree/announce
>
> The new 'announce' command generates an announcement template from
> the .cygport file based on NAME/VERSION/RELEASE, PKG_NAMES, and
> DESCRIPTION, to which you can easily add release-specific information,
> and then sends the message via an SMTP server.  Note that this adds

This is a nice feature.  Thanks.

> dependencies on perl-Authen-SASL, perl-MIME-tools, and

perl-MIME-tools isn't in the distro yet.  Achim?

> perl-Net-SMTP-SSL, and requires several new SMTP_* configuration options
> in cygport.conf.
>
> Feedback and patches welcome.

If there's no mailserver configured, I'd like to see cygport save the
mbox file in the current directory and give an informational message,
rather than saving it in /tmp and giving an error message.  Users might
want to simply paste it into an email, and the error message seems a
little unfriendly.

Ken

P.S. You still haven't applied the texlive patch from
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2015-08/msg00019.html; is this just an
oversight, or do you need me to explain in more detail why it's needed?