On 01/28/2016 11:42 AM, Ken Brown wrote: > On 1/28/2016 12:33 PM, Jon Turney wrote: >> Future work: I can't see any reason why this script now needs an >> independent existence, so it could be absorbed by the info package. > > That's fine with me. There will be a new version of texinfo soon (it's > currently in pretest), so we can make the transition then. But I need > to understand the script before I take it over, and I'm confused by the > command > > install-info $f /usr/share/info/dir || > install-info --entry="* $$f ($f): $$f" $$f /usr/share/info/dir > > First, what do those double dollar signs mean? If this is from a Makefile snippet, it says that $f is a make variable, while $$ turns into a literal $f for the shell that make invokes (something like: install-info foo /usr/share/info/dir || \ install-info --entry="* $f (foo): $f" $f /usr/share/info/dir but I don't have the full context for where $f is being defined for why it is sometimes expanded in make and others by the shell. > > Second, why is the second line needed, i.e., under what circumstances > would it be expected to succeed after the first install-info command > failed? Sadly, I don't know install-info enough to answer that one. -- Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266 Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org