public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Conflict betwen the opengl package and the w32api package over  libglut32.lib
@ 2008-12-03 16:19 André Bleau
From: André Bleau @ 2008-12-03 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi there.

For a very long time, the w32api package has provided /usr/lib/w32api/libglut32.a .
I don't know why the w32api package provides libglut32.a ; it is the only
glut-related file that it provides. The rest of glut, that is, the glut.h header and
the glut32.dll, are provided by the opengl package.

This was fine until glut32.dll was updated from 3.7.3 to 3.7.6, which happened at
the release of opengl-1.1.0-6. From then, libglut32.a has been missing
some hidden functions in the new glut32.dll: ___glutCreateMenuWithExit,
___glutCreateWindowWithExit, and ___glutInitWithExit. I hacked around it in
glut.h, but this caused programs to continue to run in the background if their
window was closed by using the close (X) icon in the title bar.

For opengl-1.1.0-9, I reversed that hack to correct the problem, but now if
you include glut.h, you can not link with libglut32.a, as it misses the 3
required functions. The opengl-1.1.0-9 package now includes glut32.lib, and linking
with it works well. But:

1- It is ugly. A POSIX environement should not require to link with some .lib file.
2- It forces developers of glut programs to modify their build system.
3- It creates confusion, as there is now 2 files competing for the same goal:
libglut32.a and glut32.lib, the first of which don't work anymore.

So, I am asking the maintainers of the w32api package to remove libglut32.a.
Then I would update the opengl package to include a version that is compatible
with the rest of glut.

Regards,

- André Bleau, Cygwin's volunteer OpenGL package maintainer.

Please direct any question or comment about the OpenGL package to cygwin at cygwin dot com

* Re: Conflict betwen the opengl package and the w32api package over libglut32.lib
@ 2008-12-03 16:32 ` Chris Sutcliffe
From: Chris Sutcliffe @ 2008-12-03 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hey André,

> So, I am asking the maintainers of the w32api package to remove libglut32.a.
> Then I would update the opengl package to include a version that is compatible
> with the rest of glut.

I'm comfortable with doing this, but I've taken it to the MinGW-dvlpr
list just to make sure that it won't cause any issues.

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe
http://emergedesktop.org

* Re: Conflict betwen the opengl package and the w32api package over libglut32.lib
@ 2008-12-05  2:48   ` Chris Sutcliffe
From: Chris Sutcliffe @ 2008-12-05  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hey André,

> I'm comfortable with doing this, but I've taken it to the MinGW-dvlpr
> list just to make sure that it won't cause any issues.

I'll remove libglut32.a from w32api and upload a new release shortly.
Is there a conflict with libglut.a as well?

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe
http://emergedesktop.org

* Re: Conflict betwen the opengl package and the w32api package over libglut32.lib
@ 2008-12-05  7:47 ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2008-12-05  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

2008/12/3 André Bleau:
> For a very long time, the w32api package has provided /usr/lib/w32api/libglut32.a .
> I don't know why the w32api package provides libglut32.a ; it is the only
> glut-related file that it provides. The rest of glut, that is, the glut.h header and
> the glut32.dll, are provided by the opengl package.
>
> This was fine until glut32.dll was updated from 3.7.3 to 3.7.6, which happened at
> the release of opengl-1.1.0-6. From then, libglut32.a has been missing
> some hidden functions in the new glut32.dll: ___glutCreateMenuWithExit,
> ___glutCreateWindowWithExit, and ___glutInitWithExit. I hacked around it in
> glut.h, but this caused programs to continue to run in the background if their
> window was closed by using the close (X) icon in the title bar.
>
> For opengl-1.1.0-9, I reversed that hack to correct the problem, but now if
> you include glut.h, you can not link with libglut32.a, as it misses the 3
> required functions. The opengl-1.1.0-9 package now includes glut32.lib, and linking
> with it works well. But:
>
> 1- It is ugly. A POSIX environement should not require to link with some .lib file.
> 2- It forces developers of glut programs to modify their build system.
> 3- It creates confusion, as there is now 2 files competing for the same goal:
> libglut32.a and glut32.lib, the first of which don't work anymore.
>
> So, I am asking the maintainers of the w32api package to remove libglut32.a.
> Then I would update the opengl package to include a version that is compatible
> with the rest of glut.

I had to link directly against /bin/cygglut-3.dll for the parrot
package to work around this problem, as -lglut32 did not work.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/              http://murbreak.at/

* Re: Conflict betwen the opengl package and the w32api package over  libglut32.lib
@ 2008-12-05 14:27 André Bleau
From: André Bleau @ 2008-12-05 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

"Reini Urban"  wrote:

> I had to link directly against /bin/cygglut-3.dll for the parrot
> package to work around this problem, as -lglut32 did not work.
> --
> Reini Urban

Reini,

The correct argument to link with /usr/bin/cygglut-3.dll is -lglut , not
-lglut32 , as the libglut-devel package supplies /usr/lib/libglut.a ,
not /usr/lib/libglut32.a .

I asked the maintainer of the w32api package to remove the file
/usr/lib/w32api/libglut32.a , as it is hidden by /usr/lib/libglut.a
for Cygwin programs, although it is visible for MinGW (aka -mno-cygwin)
programs.

@ 2008-12-05 14:19 André Bleau
From: André Bleau @ 2008-12-05 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

"Chris Sutcliffe"  wrote:

> Hey André,

Hi Chris,

>> I'm comfortable with doing this, but I've taken it to the MinGW-dvlpr
>> list just to make sure that it won't cause any issues.
>

> I'll remove libglut32.a from w32api and upload a new release shortly.

Good. I already have an updated libglut32.a ready to add to my package.
I'll update slightly after you do.

opengl-1.1.0-10 will have libglut32.a .

If all this can be done quickly (before, say Dec. 17th), I will also remove
glut32.lib , as (hopefuly) few developers would have updated to opengl-1.1.0-9 .

> Is there a conflict with libglut.a as well?

I don't know what was the purpose of /usr/lib/w32api/libglut.a, but it was
not conflicting with the opengl package. But, according to:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2008-12/msg00017.html

It is conflicting with the libglut-devel package, which includes
/usr/lib/libglut.a , so it would be better to remove /usr/lib/w32api/libglut.a .