public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] asr-manpages, funny-manpages
@ 2022-05-07 18:52 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-05-07 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Applications

I would like to offer to package the following projects for Cygwin.
They have been extensively tested on my own system for decades. ;^>
They are offered on the major distros listed below, and the cygport
builds are available in my Google Drive folders.

asr-manpages	20000406	alt.sysadmin.recovery manual pages

A set of humorous manual pages developed on alt.sysadmin.recovery
(don't treat them seriously!). Some may be considered non-PC, NSFW, or
offensive. The authors recommend these man pages be installed on every
system.

Home	http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/misc/asr-manpages
Arch	https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/asr-manpages
DragonFly
https://github.com/DragonFlyBSD/DPorts/tree/master/misc/asr-manpages
FreeBSD	https://www.freshports.org/misc/asr-manpages
NetBSD	http://pkgsrc.se/misc/asr-manpages
Gentoo	https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/games-misc/asr-manpages
Slack	https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/misc/asr-manpages/
Ubuntu	https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/asr-manpages
Repology	https://repology.org/project/asr-manpages

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1b8DTVX_aiaZk90Lwd21W1kJ5NGOs73HX

funny-manpages	2.3	humorous manual pages
A set of miscellaneous humorous manual pages (don't treat
them seriously!). Some may be considered non-PC, NSFW, or offensive.
You've been warned.

Home	https://github.com/ltworf/funny-manpages
Arch	https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/funny-manpages
Debian	https://packages.debian.org/sid/source/funny-manpages
Gentoo	https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/games-misc/funny-manpages
OpenSuSE	http://packman.links2linux.org/package/funny-manpages
Slack	https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/misc/funny-manpages/
Ubuntu	https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/funny-manpages
Repology	https://repology.org/project/funny-manpages

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1n_P6qCF7LiOqMKsDpFz9qZsdvT4-BXd8

* Re: [ITP] asr-manpages, funny-manpages
@ 2022-05-08 15:15 ` Libor Ukropec
From: Libor Ukropec @ 2022-05-08 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Dne 07.05.2022 v 20:52 Brian Inglis napsal(a):
> I would like to offer to package the following projects for Cygwin.
> They have been extensively tested on my own system for decades. ;^>
> They are offered on the major distros listed below, and the cygport
> builds are available in my Google Drive folders.

I haven't known them until now. Quite fun :)
Built and installed without any issue.

If I can give the GTG, here it is..

BTW, I noted LICENSE, CYGWIN_MAINTAINER, UPSTREAM_MAINTAINER variables
... are they used/shown somewhere and is it a best practise to have them
in the cygport script?

Regards,
Libor

@ 2022-05-08 17:49   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-05-08 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2022-05-08 09:15, Libor Ukropec wrote:
> Dne 07.05.2022 v 20:52 Brian Inglis napsal(a):
>> I would like to offer to package the following projects for Cygwin.
>> They have been extensively tested on my own system for decades. ;^>
>> They are offered on the major distros listed below, and the cygport
>> builds are available in my Google Drive folders.

> I haven't known them until now. Quite fun :)
> Built and installed without any issue.
>
> If I can give the GTG, here it is..

Thanks - now I just need another four or so.

> BTW, I noted LICENSE, CYGWIN_MAINTAINER, UPSTREAM_MAINTAINER variables
> ... are they used/shown somewhere and is it a best practise to have them
> in the cygport script?

Something I think should be documented somewhere, are tracked in some
other distros package trackers, easier to add on adoption, and useful
when you want to submit bug reports upstream.
Defining then as shell vars mean you can use them for searching or in
commands.
I recently audited my packages and there are still a dozen or so lacking
that information that I will work on adding.

* Re: [ITP] asr-manpages, funny-manpages
@ 2022-05-14 13:09 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-05-14 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Brian Inglis

On 07/05/2022 19:52, Brian Inglis wrote:
> I would like to offer to package the following projects for Cygwin.
> They have been extensively tested on my own system for decades. ;^>
> They are offered on the major distros listed below, and the cygport
> builds are available in my Google Drive folders.
>
> asr-manpages    20000406    alt.sysadmin.recovery manual pages
>
> A set of humorous manual pages developed on alt.sysadmin.recovery
> (don't treat them seriously!). Some may be considered non-PC, NSFW, or
> offensive. The authors recommend these man pages be installed on every
> system.

[...]
> funny-manpages    2.3    humorous manual pages
> A set of miscellaneous humorous manual pages (don't treat
> them seriously!). Some may be considered non-PC, NSFW, or offensive.
> You've been warned.

Just a question about the package naming: we already have
man-pages-{linux,posix} so is there any value in making these consistent?

* Re: [ITP] asr-manpages, funny-manpages
@ 2022-05-14 13:15     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-05-14 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 08/05/2022 18:49, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2022-05-08 09:15, Libor Ukropec wrote:
>> Dne 07.05.2022 v 20:52 Brian Inglis napsal(a):
>>> I would like to offer to package the following projects for Cygwin.
>>> They have been extensively tested on my own system for decades. ;^>
>>> They are offered on the major distros listed below, and the cygport
>>> builds are available in my Google Drive folders.
>
>> I haven't known them until now. Quite fun :)
>> Built and installed without any issue.
>>
>> If I can give the GTG, here it is..
>
> Thanks - now I just need another four or so.
>
>> BTW, I noted LICENSE, CYGWIN_MAINTAINER, UPSTREAM_MAINTAINER variables
>> ... are they used/shown somewhere and is it a best practise to have
>> them in the cygport script?
>
> Something I think should be documented somewhere, are tracked in some
> other distros package trackers, easier to add on adoption, and useful
> when you want to submit bug reports upstream.
> Defining then as shell vars mean you can use them for searching or in
> commands.

'LICENSE' probably should be required by cygport, containing a SPDX ID
or license expression.

I'm not sure about 'CYGWIN_MAINTAINER', since we already track that
information elsewhere.

* Re: [ITP] asr-manpages, funny-manpages
@ 2022-05-14 18:24   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-05-14 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2022-05-14 07:09, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 07/05/2022 19:52, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> I would like to offer to package the following projects for Cygwin.
>> They have been extensively tested on my own system for decades. ;^>
>> They are offered on the major distros listed below, and the cygport
>> builds are available in my Google Drive folders.
>>
>> asr-manpages    20000406    alt.sysadmin.recovery manual pages
>>
>> A set of humorous manual pages developed on alt.sysadmin.recovery
>> (don't treat them seriously!). Some may be considered non-PC, NSFW, or
>> offensive. The authors recommend these man pages be installed on every
>> system.
>>
> [...]
>>
>> funny-manpages    2.3    humorous manual pages
>> A set of miscellaneous humorous manual pages (don't treat
>> them seriously!). Some may be considered non-PC, NSFW, or offensive.
>> You've been warned.
>
> Just a question about the package naming: we already have
> man-pages-{linux,posix} so is there any value in making these consistent?

On the contrary, we really do *NOT* want these confused with
documentation, and only PLD Linux uses man-pages-funny, although Debian
based distros package man-pages/-linux as manpages.

* LICENSE (was Re: [ITP] asr-manpages, funny-manpages)
@ 2022-06-04 13:02       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-06-04 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Inglis, cygwin-apps

On 14/05/2022 14:15, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 08/05/2022 18:49, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't known them until now. Quite fun :)
>>> Built and installed without any issue.
>>>
>>> If I can give the GTG, here it is..
>>
>> Thanks - now I just need another four or so.
>>
>>> BTW, I noted LICENSE, CYGWIN_MAINTAINER, UPSTREAM_MAINTAINER
>>> variables ... are they used/shown somewhere and is it a best practise
>>> to have them in the cygport script?
>>
>> Something I think should be documented somewhere, are tracked in some
>> other distros package trackers, easier to add on adoption, and useful
>> when you want to submit bug reports upstream.
>> Defining then as shell vars mean you can use them for searching or in
>> commands.
>
> 'LICENSE' probably should be required by cygport, containing a SPDX ID
> or license expression.
>
> I'm not sure about 'CYGWIN_MAINTAINER', since we already track that
> information elsewhere.

Brian,

I am tinkering with adding support for LICENSE in cygport-> license: in
src.hint, exposing that in the package summary data, backfilling from
existing cyports and validating those as SPDX license expressions.

I see that you've used:

LICENSE=MIT-like
LICENSE_SPDX="SPDX-License-Identifier: MIT-like"

I don't see 'MIT-like' on https://spdx.org/licenses/, so I wonder if you
could explain where that comes from?

* Re: LICENSE (was Re: [ITP] asr-manpages, funny-manpages)
@ 2022-06-04 16:20         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-06-04 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2022-06-04 07:02, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 14/05/2022 14:15, Jon Turney wrote:
>>>
>>> Something I think should be documented somewhere, are tracked in some
>>> other distros package trackers, easier to add on adoption, and useful
>>> when you want to submit bug reports upstream.
>>> Defining then as shell vars mean you can use them for searching or in
>>> commands.
>>
>> 'LICENSE' probably should be required by cygport, containing a SPDX ID
>> or license expression.
>>
>> I'm not sure about 'CYGWIN_MAINTAINER', since we already track that
>> information elsewhere.

> I am tinkering with adding support for LICENSE in cygport-> license: in
> src.hint, exposing that in the package summary data, backfilling from
> existing cyports and validating those as SPDX license expressions.
>
> I see that you've used:
>
> LICENSE=MIT-like
> LICENSE_SPDX="SPDX-License-Identifier: MIT-like"
>
> I don't see 'MIT-like' on https://spdx.org/licenses/, so I wonder if you
> could explain where that comes from?

Articles on early SPDX usage had suggestions for as yet uncatalogued
licences like adding -like. From the looks of my package sources, some
licensing info came from Fedora specs and conversions to cygport. My
cygports have now been updated locally to what I believe are correct
SPDX ids from the latest list. I have a number yet to add but build and
packaging issues take priority for time over info tweaks.

curl/curl.cygport:LICENSE=curl
curl/curl.cygport:LICENSE_SPDX="SPDX-License-Identifier: curl"
curl/curl-spec-fedora.cygport:LICENSE=MIT
curl/curl-spec-fedora.cygport:LICENSE_SPDX="SPDX-License-Identifier: MIT"
curl/curl-spec-opensuse.cygport:LICENSE=curl
curl/curl-spec-opensuse.cygport:LICENSE_SPDX="SPDX-License-Identifier: curl"
curl/mingw64-i686-curl.cygport:LICENSE=curl
curl/mingw64-i686-curl.cygport:LICENSE_SPDX="SPDX-License-Identifier: curl"
curl/mingw64-x86_64-curl.cygport:LICENSE=curl
curl/mingw64-x86_64-curl.cygport:LICENSE_SPDX="SPDX-License-Identifier:
curl"
man-pages-linux/man-pages-linux.cygport:LICENSE=verbatim
man-pages-linux/man-pages-linux.cygport:LICENSE_SPDX="SPDX-License-Identifier:
Linux-man-pages-copyleft"
man-pages-posix/man-pages-posix.cygport:LICENSE=verbatim
man-pages-posix/man-pages-posix.cygport:LICENSE_SPDX="SPDX-License-Identifier:
Linux-man-pages-copyleft
vttest/vttest.cygport:LICENSE=BSD
vttest/vttest.cygport:LICENSE_SPDX="SPDX-License-Identifier:
BSD-Source-Code"
vttest/vttest-spec-fedora.cygport:LICENSE=MIT
vttest/vttest-spec-fedora.cygport:LICENSE_SPDX="SPDX-License-Identifier:
MIT"