public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Test: grep 3.8 - promotion to current stable
@ 2022-11-13 21:06 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-11-13 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2022-11-13 10:09, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 04.11.2022 um 20:27 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:

>>> The issue does not appear to be about POSIX compliance, but that [ef]grep
>>> were dropped from POSIX before 2008 and declared obsolescent, so the
>>> maintainers appear to be looking to drop those commands/scripts.
>> This is a usability issue.  If upstream thinks they have to do such a
>> potentially destructive and backward-incompatible change for no other
>> reason than "is not in POSIX", they can do so, but there's no good
>> reason the distros who *care* for usability have to do this either.
>>
>>> You could perhaps reach out to Eric Blake or Jim Meyering who are in the GNU
>>> grep contributor lists for rationale.
>>>
>>> While Debian and OpenSuSE have reverted that change, Fedora has not in main
>>> or rawhide.
>> Right, Debian and OpenSuSE revert the change and the BSDs will not break
>> e/fgrep either, obviously.  I doubt Ubuntu will do that.  Fedora often
>> values progress, for a given value of "progress", higher than usability.
>> They will probably see lots of Bugzillas and user requests in other
>> forums due to this change and then ignore them.  But that doesn't mean
>> we have to do it.
>>
>> Again: Egrep and fgrep are used in lots of scripts around the world.  A
>> change like this will have a massive impact for years to come.
>>
>> So, again, in the name of usability, let's follow Debian and OpenSuSE
>> here, not Fedora, please.

> @Brian, as a grep package maintainer, can you *please* make a trivial patch to
> remove the grep crap as Corinna suggested and upload an updated package *today*,
> as Jon Turney threatens to freeze the x86 repository tomorrow?

I am trying to do so, but getting weird test artifacts locally, so retrying in
hopes that they will complete normally.

If there are still issues, I will look at deploying from Scallywag, as those
builds completed cleanly.

I am also trying to clean up a couple of other package issues, and hopefully
don't mess up anything else trying to get these done without any time for actual
use.
My system is fully loaded running only a single build, and each can take over an
hour, about the same time as Scallywag, but without any arch parallelism.

[Being the weekend, there are also other things to do and people to see.]

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry