public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITA] jasper: JPEG 2000 library
@ 2008-03-31 22:26 Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2008-03-31 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi

I would like to adopt and maintain the 'jasper' package from Gerrit P.Haase and
split it into 'jasper/libjasper17011/libjasper-devel' packages.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOTE: Due to the monolithic nature of Gerrit's old package the following packages will have wrong dependencies

   libMagick6

If accepted an updated version ({jasper/libjasper1/libjasper-devel}-1.900.1-1) of this library
will uploaded soon.

Here are the setup.hint files:
./libjasper-devel/setup.hint

sdesc: "JPEG 2000 library - (development)"
ldesc: "JasPer is a collection of software (i.e., a library and application programs)
for the coding and manipulation of images.  This software can handle image data in a
variety of formats.  One such format supported by JasPer is the JPEG-2000 format defined
in ISO/IEC 15444-1:2000."
category: Devel Graphics Libs
requires: cygwin libjasper17011 libjpeg-devel xorg-x11-devel
external-source: jasper

./libjasper17011/setup.hint

sdesc: "JPEG 2000 library - (runtime)"
ldesc: "JasPer is a collection of software (i.e., a library and application programs)
for the coding and manipulation of images.  This software can handle image data in a
variety of formats.  One such format supported by JasPer is the JPEG-2000 format defined
in ISO/IEC 15444-1:2000."
category: Graphics Libs
requires: cygwin libjpeg62
external-source: jasper

./setup.hint

sdesc: "JPEG 2000 library - (utilities)"
ldesc: "JasPer is a collection of software (i.e., a library and application programs)
for the coding and manipulation of images.  This software can handle image data in a
variety of formats.  One such format supported by JasPer is the JPEG-2000 format defined
in ISO/IEC 15444-1:2000."
category: Graphics Libs
requires: cygwin libjasper17011 libglut3 xorg-x11-bin-dlls

For downloading

------------------------------------ cut here ------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash

mkdir -p jasper/libjasper17011 jasper/libjasper-devel

cd jasper
wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/setup.hint
wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/jasper-1.701.0-2-src.tar.bz2
wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/jasper-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2

cd libjasper17011
wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/libjasper17011/setup.hint
wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/libjasper17011/libjasper17011-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2

cd ../libjasper-devel
wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/libjasper-devel/setup.hint
wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/libjasper-devel/libjasper-devel-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
------------------------------------ cut here ------------------------------------

Ciao
  Volker

* Re: [ITA] jasper: JPEG 2000 library
@ 2008-04-01  9:20 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-04-01  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Apr  1 00:25, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to adopt and maintain the 'jasper' package from Gerrit P.Haase and
> split it into 'jasper/libjasper17011/libjasper-devel' packages.

Huh?  libjasper*17011*?  Did we have so many versions of libjasper already? ;)
Just out of curiosity, what does this big number mean here?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: [ITA] jasper: JPEG 2000 library
@ 2008-04-01 11:20   ` Dr. Volker Zell
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2008-04-01 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

    > On Apr  1 00:25, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I would like to adopt and maintain the 'jasper' package from Gerrit P.Haase and
    >> split it into 'jasper/libjasper17011/libjasper-devel' packages.

    > Huh?  libjasper*17011*?  Did we have so many versions of libjasper already? ;)
    > Just out of curiosity, what does this big number mean here?

Actually I forgot to ask on the list before packaging. But it's not too
late. I can still repackage if we sort it out.

The actual source package is jasper-1.701.0.zip. The cygwin release will
be revision 2.

libtool for jasper-1.701.0 creates cygjasper-1-701-1.dll

So how should we name the corresponding library package:

 libjasper1_107_1-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
 libjasper1_107.1-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
 libjasper1.107.1-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2

libtool for jasper-1.900.1 creates cygjasper-1.dll

In this case we have libjasper1-1.900.1-1.tar.bz2

@ 2008-04-01 11:39     ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2008-04-01 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

    > Actually I forgot to ask on the list before packaging. But it's not too
    > late. I can still repackage if we sort it out.

    > The actual source package is jasper-1.701.0.zip. The cygwin release will
    > be revision 2.

    > libtool for jasper-1.701.0 creates cygjasper-1-701-1.dll

    > So how should we name the corresponding library package:

    >  libjasper1_107_1-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
    >  libjasper1_107.1-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
    >  libjasper1.107.1-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2

Ooops, this should read:

  libjasper1_701_0-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2

@ 2008-04-01 13:52     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-04-01 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Apr  1 13:18, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

>     > On Apr  1 00:25, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
>     >> Hi
>     >>
>     >> I would like to adopt and maintain the 'jasper' package from Gerrit P.Haase and
>     >> split it into 'jasper/libjasper17011/libjasper-devel' packages.
>
>     > Huh?  libjasper*17011*?  Did we have so many versions of libjasper already? ;)
>     > Just out of curiosity, what does this big number mean here?
>
> Actually I forgot to ask on the list before packaging. But it's not too
> late. I can still repackage if we sort it out.
>
> The actual source package is jasper-1.701.0.zip. The cygwin release will
> be revision 2.
>
> libtool for jasper-1.701.0 creates cygjasper-1-701-1.dll
>
> So how should we name the corresponding library package:
>
>  libjasper1_107_1-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
>  libjasper1_107.1-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
>  libjasper1.107.1-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
>

> libtool for jasper-1.900.1 creates cygjasper-1.dll
>
> In this case we have libjasper1-1.900.1-1.tar.bz2

Given that the name of the package doesn't have to reflect the exact
version number/version name of the DLL, wouldn't it be easier for the
future to recognize the older version if the package is named
libjasper0-$version?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: [ITA] jasper: JPEG 2000 library
@ 2008-04-02  0:15     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2008-04-02  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin-Apps

Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

>     > On Apr  1 00:25, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
>     >> Hi
>     >>
>     >> I would like to adopt and maintain the 'jasper' package from Gerrit P.Haase and
>     >> split it into 'jasper/libjasper17011/libjasper-devel' packages.
>
>     > Huh?  libjasper*17011*?  Did we have so many versions of libjasper already? ;)
>     > Just out of curiosity, what does this big number mean here?
>
> Actually I forgot to ask on the list before packaging. But it's not too
> late. I can still repackage if we sort it out.
>
> The actual source package is jasper-1.701.0.zip. The cygwin release will
> be revision 2.
>
> libtool for jasper-1.701.0 creates cygjasper-1-701-1.dll
>
> So how should we name the corresponding library package:
>
>  libjasper1_107_1-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
>  libjasper1_107.1-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
>  libjasper1.107.1-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
>

> libtool for jasper-1.900.1 creates cygjasper-1.dll
>
> In this case we have libjasper1-1.900.1-1.tar.bz2
>
> Ciao
>   Volker

Here are the rpm names reported on Mandriva:

libjasper1
libjasper1-devel
libjasper1-static-devel
libjasper1.701_1-devel
libjasper1.701_1-static-devel

libjasper1 (which is from src dist 1.900.1) contains:
/usr/lib/libjasper.so.1
/usr/lib/libjasper.so.1.0.0

libjasper1.701_1 contains:
/usr/lib/libjasper-1.701.so.1
/usr/lib/libjasper-1.701.so.1.0.0

It looks like the upstream folks wized up by the time 1.900.1 was
released. However, since Volker is proposing 1.701.0, that means even
the upstream source is versioned...strangely.  I'm not sure why Mandriva
labels the -devel/-static-devel packages strangely; it's not as if they
are trying to allow both 1.701-devel and 1.900-devel packages to
coexist: the rpms contain overlapping files, and so are marked 'conflict'.

However, with regards to the packages which contain the SO's, note that
the version number is the same for both 1.701 and for 1.900. Thus, if we
ever get a 1.900 version of libjasper, I bet its DLLNUM will STILL be
'0', because the upstream folks are relying on the entire SONAME being
different to prevent the 1.701 and 1.900 libraries from clashing.

So, we should too.

I'd recommend the following tarballs for version 1.701.0 releases:

   libjasper1.701_0-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
   libjasper-devel-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
   jasper-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
   jasper-1.701.0-2-src.tar.bz2

Then later, there might be

   libjasper0-1.900.0-1.tar.bz2
   libjasper-devel-1.900.0-1.tar.bz2
   jasper-1.900.0-1.tar.bz2
   jasper-1.900.0-1-src.tar.bz2

(See? if you want to install both DLLs from 1.701 and 1.900, you better
not name the 1.701 DLL package "libjasper0" -- if I am right about the
jasper folks' odd treatment of libtool/SOVER numbering during the
1.701--1.900 transition)

--
Chuck

* Re: [ITA] jasper: JPEG 2000 library
@ 2008-04-02  8:58       ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2008-04-02  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

    > Here are the rpm names reported on Mandriva:

    > libjasper1
    > libjasper1-devel
    > libjasper1-static-devel
    > libjasper1.701_1-devel
    > libjasper1.701_1-static-devel

    > libjasper1 (which is from src dist 1.900.1) contains:
    > /usr/lib/libjasper.so.1
    > /usr/lib/libjasper.so.1.0.0

    > libjasper1.701_1 contains:
    > /usr/lib/libjasper-1.701.so.1
    > /usr/lib/libjasper-1.701.so.1.0.0

    > It looks like the upstream folks wized up by the time 1.900.1 was
    > released. However, since Volker is proposing 1.701.0, that means even
    > the upstream source is versioned...strangely.  I'm not sure why
    > Mandriva labels the -devel/-static-devel packages strangely; it's not
    > as if they are trying to allow both 1.701-devel and 1.900-devel
    > packages to coexist: the rpms contain overlapping files, and so are
    > marked 'conflict'.

    > However, with regards to the packages which contain the SO's, note
    > that the version number is the same for both 1.701 and for
    > 1.900. Thus, if we ever get a 1.900 version of libjasper, I bet its
    > DLLNUM will STILL be '0', because the upstream folks are relying on
    > the entire SONAME being different to prevent the 1.701 and 1.900
    > libraries from clashing.

    > So, we should too.

    > I'd recommend the following tarballs for version 1.701.0 releases:

    >   libjasper1.701_0-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
    >   libjasper-devel-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
    >   jasper-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
    >   jasper-1.701.0-2-src.tar.bz2

Convinced, I take this one

    > Then later, there might be

    >   libjasper0-1.900.0-1.tar.bz2
    >   libjasper-devel-1.900.0-1.tar.bz2
    >   jasper-1.900.0-1.tar.bz2
    >   jasper-1.900.0-1-src.tar.bz2

Packages are ready:

jasper-1.900.1-1.tar.bz2
jasper-1.900.1-1-src.tar.bz2
libjasper-devel-1.900.1-1.tar.bz2
libjasper1-1.900.1-1.tar.bz2       -> DLL name: cygjasper-1.dll

@ 2008-04-02 12:45 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-04-02 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Apr  2 12:36, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
> cd jasper
> wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/setup.hint
> wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/jasper-1.701.0-2-src.tar.bz2
> wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/jasper-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
>
> cd libjasper1.701_0
> wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/libjasper1.701_0/setup.hint
> wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/libjasper1.701_0/libjasper1.701_0-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2
>
> cd ../libjasper-devel
> wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/libjasper-devel/setup.hint
> wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/libjasper-devel/libjasper-devel-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2

Uploaded.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

* [ITA] jasper: JPEG 2000 library
@ 2008-04-02 10:36 Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2008-04-02 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi

Hopefully the last time.

I would like to adopt and maintain the 'jasper' package from Gerrit P.Haase and
split it into 'jasper/libjasper1.701_0/libjasper-devel' packages.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOTE: Due to the monolithic nature of Gerrit's old package the following packages will have wrong dependencies

   libMagick6

Here are the setup.hint files:
./libjasper-devel/setup.hint

sdesc: "JPEG 2000 library - (development)"
ldesc: "JasPer is a collection of software (i.e., a library and application programs)
for the coding and manipulation of images.  This software can handle image data in a
variety of formats.  One such format supported by JasPer is the JPEG-2000 format defined
in ISO/IEC 15444-1:2000."
category: Devel Graphics Libs
requires: cygwin libjasper1.701_0 libjpeg-devel xorg-x11-devel
external-source: jasper

./libjasper0/setup.hint

sdesc: "JPEG 2000 library - (runtime)"
ldesc: "JasPer is a collection of software (i.e., a library and application programs)
for the coding and manipulation of images.  This software can handle image data in a
variety of formats.  One such format supported by JasPer is the JPEG-2000 format defined
in ISO/IEC 15444-1:2000."
category: Graphics Libs
requires: cygwin libjpeg62
external-source: jasper

./setup.hint

sdesc: "JPEG 2000 library - (utilities)"
ldesc: "JasPer is a collection of software (i.e., a library and application programs)
for the coding and manipulation of images.  This software can handle image data in a
variety of formats.  One such format supported by JasPer is the JPEG-2000 format defined
in ISO/IEC 15444-1:2000."
category: Graphics Libs
requires: cygwin libjasper1.701_0 libglut3 xorg-x11-bin-dlls

For downloading

------------------------------------ cut here ------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash

mkdir -p jasper/libjasper1.701_0 jasper/libjasper-devel

@ 2008-04-01 20:17 Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2008-04-01 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi

I would like to adopt and maintain the 'jasper' package from Gerrit P.Haase and
split it into 'jasper/libjasper0/libjasper-devel' packages.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOTE: Due to the monolithic nature of Gerrit's old package the following packages will have wrong dependencies

   libMagick6

Here are the setup.hint files:
./libjasper-devel/setup.hint

sdesc: "JPEG 2000 library - (development)"
ldesc: "JasPer is a collection of software (i.e., a library and application programs)
for the coding and manipulation of images.  This software can handle image data in a
variety of formats.  One such format supported by JasPer is the JPEG-2000 format defined
in ISO/IEC 15444-1:2000."
category: Devel Graphics Libs
requires: cygwin libjasper0 libjpeg-devel xorg-x11-devel
external-source: jasper

./libjasper0/setup.hint

sdesc: "JPEG 2000 library - (runtime)"
ldesc: "JasPer is a collection of software (i.e., a library and application programs)
for the coding and manipulation of images.  This software can handle image data in a
variety of formats.  One such format supported by JasPer is the JPEG-2000 format defined
in ISO/IEC 15444-1:2000."
category: Graphics Libs
requires: cygwin libjpeg62
external-source: jasper

./setup.hint

sdesc: "JPEG 2000 library - (utilities)"
ldesc: "JasPer is a collection of software (i.e., a library and application programs)
for the coding and manipulation of images.  This software can handle image data in a
variety of formats.  One such format supported by JasPer is the JPEG-2000 format defined
in ISO/IEC 15444-1:2000."
category: Graphics Libs
requires: cygwin libjasper0 libglut3 xorg-x11-bin-dlls

For downloading

#!/bin/bash

mkdir -p jasper/libjasper0 jasper/libjasper-devel

cd jasper
wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/setup.hint
wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/jasper-1.701.0-2-src.tar.bz2
wget http://volkerzell.de/cygwin/ITP/jasper/jasper-1.701.0-2.tar.bz2