public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Odd upset bug is stalling setup.ini updates
@ 2009-02-04 19:24 Christopher Faylor
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-02-04 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

There is a problem with upset today which is causing setup.ini not to
update.

I'm investigating as I can fit it into my real work day.

No ETA on a fix yet.

cgf

* Re: Odd upset bug is stalling setup.ini updates
@ 2009-02-04 22:26 ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2009-02-04 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Christopher Faylor schrieb:
> There is a problem with upset today which is causing setup.ini not to
> update.
>
> I'm investigating as I can fit it into my real work day.
>
> No ETA on a fix yet.

I checked all newer setup.hints locally:

@ Numeric
sdesc: "Numeric Python module"
ldesc: "Numerical Python adds a fast, compact, multidimensional array
language facility to Python."
invalid category _obsolete in Numeric

--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/  http://murbreak.at/

* Re: Odd upset bug is stalling setup.ini updates
@ 2009-02-04 22:36   ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2009-02-04 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Reini Urban schrieb:
> Christopher Faylor schrieb:
>> There is a problem with upset today which is causing setup.ini not to
>> update.
>>
>> I'm investigating as I can fit it into my real work day.
>>
>> No ETA on a fix yet.
>
> I checked all newer setup.hints locally:
>
> @ Numeric
> sdesc: "Numeric Python module"
> ldesc: "Numerical Python adds a fast, compact, multidimensional array
> language facility to Python."
> invalid category _obsolete in Numeric

oops, my error.

"invalid category math in octave-forge"
looks odd to me. I've fixed that
--

@ 2009-02-05  0:07 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-02-05  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 02:24:31PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>There is a problem with upset today which is causing setup.ini not to
>update.
>
>I'm investigating as I can fit it into my real work day.
>
>No ETA on a fix yet.

It should be fixed now.  This was a long-standing bug but I don't see
why it was triggered at this time unless someone was messing with the
setup.ini file.

I'll say this again, just in case it isn't clear: Don't tamper with the
setup.ini file.  Don't delete it or edit it or move it.  I've now locked
down on the permissions in the directory which holds the setup.ini file
so it shouldn't be possible to change it but I know that where there is
a will...  So, I'm sending this message too.

It's possible that something else caused this problem but I just wanted
to send out my regular reminder about this for all of the people who
have login access to sourceware.

@ 2009-02-05 16:11   ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2009-02-05 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> It should be fixed now.  This was a long-standing bug but I don't see

Thanks cgf.  That resolved the issue I reported.

bk

* Re: Odd upset bug is stalling setup.ini updates
@ 2009-02-05 18:23   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-02-05 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 07:07:24PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 02:24:31PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>There is a problem with upset today which is causing setup.ini not to
>>update.
>>
>>I'm investigating as I can fit it into my real work day.
>>
>>No ETA on a fix yet.
>
>It should be fixed now.

...but it isn't.  setup.ini is now screwed up.  Working on this now.

@ 2009-02-05 19:33     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-02-05 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 07:07:24PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 02:24:31PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> There is a problem with upset today which is causing setup.ini not to
>>> update.
>>>
>>> I'm investigating as I can fit it into my real work day.
>>>
>>> No ETA on a fix yet.
>> It should be fixed now.
>
> ...but it isn't.  setup.ini is now screwed up.  Working on this now.
>
> cgf

   There are so many posts complaining about install/upgrade problems on the
main list, I think it would be worth sending a warning note to cygwin-announce.

     cheers,
       DaveK

* Re: Odd upset bug is stalling setup.ini updates
@ 2009-02-05 20:08 ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2009-02-05 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

* Re: Odd upset bug is stalling setup.ini updates
@ 2009-02-05 20:21   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-02-05 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 02:07:45PM -0600, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>There is a problem with upset today which is causing setup.ini not to
>>update.
>>
>>I'm investigating as I can fit it into my real work day.
>>
>>No ETA on a fix yet.
>
>posh's ldesc: was missing a closing double-quote.  I fixed that on
>sourceware, so let's see if that helps.

upset is not supposed to just corrupt a setup.ini file if a setup.hint
file is missing a quote.  I identified the problem an hour and a half
ago and have been trying, amidst meetings, to fix the problem in upset
that caused this to be undetected.  I was just puzzling over why things
changed after a current debug run and it occurred to me to look at the
posh/setup.hint.

How frustrating.

I appreciate that you are trying to help but I didn't ask anyone to
track this down for me.  If I wanted help I would have said "I need
help".

Since setup.ini file generation is currently turned off you can't
actually do anything to fix this problem anyway.

@ 2009-02-06  2:44   ` Jari Aalto
From: Jari Aalto @ 2009-02-06  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaakov (Cygwin/X); +Cc: cygwin-apps

"Yaakov (Cygwin/X)" <yselkowitz@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> posh's ldesc: was missing a closing double-quote.
> Jari, please fix this on your local copy so this doesn't happen again.

Ack.

Jari

* Re: Odd upset bug is stalling setup.ini updates
@ 2009-02-06 23:03     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-02-06 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 03:20:57PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 02:07:45PM -0600, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>There is a problem with upset today which is causing setup.ini not to
>>>update.
>>>
>>>I'm investigating as I can fit it into my real work day.
>>>
>>>No ETA on a fix yet.
>>
>>posh's ldesc: was missing a closing double-quote.  I fixed that on
>>sourceware, so let's see if that helps.
>
>upset is not supposed to just corrupt a setup.ini file if a setup.hint
>file is missing a quote.  I identified the problem an hour and a half
>ago and have been trying, amidst meetings, to fix the problem in upset
>that caused this to be undetected.  I was just puzzling over why things
>changed after a current debug run and it occurred to me to look at the
>posh/setup.hint.
>
>How frustrating.
>
>I appreciate that you are trying to help but I didn't ask anyone to
>track this down for me.  If I wanted help I would have said "I need
>help".
>
>Since setup.ini file generation is currently turned off you can't
>actually do anything to fix this problem anyway.

I apologize that the above came off harshly.  It really was frustrating
to be debugging this in the middle of my work day and then have things
change out from under me as I was narrowing down to a fix for upset.

This problem has been manifesting while I am behind schedule on a
project at work so I was doubly stressed by this + knowing that this
setup problem was potentially affecting hundreds of Cygwin users.
Nonetheless, I do realize, of course, that Yaakov (and, the other day,
Reini) had the best of intentions here so I really should have not said
anything.  I hope that my response won't stop them from investigating
problems in the future.

cgf