I did not get any response to my last questions, so I hope this patch is enough. Any thought about my other arguments? Federico On 5/17/20 7:54 PM, Federico Kircheis wrote: > Thank you for the feedback. > >> This patch is clearly not limited to the protection of data, as it >> quotes variables that could in no way contain a space or have anything >> to do with file paths. > > Could you please point me to which variables are unrelated to files. > > AFAIK i quoted files and arguments, which can all contain whitespace. > > For example I did quote ${unpack_file_path}, but not ${unpack_cmd}. > >> As mentioned multiple times, using filenames >> ore directories with spaces is asking for trouble, and I have no >> interest in trying to support such a case. > > The first commit makes sure that no information is lost while processing > file with spaces or other characters that cause globbing. This prevents > writing or modifying the wrong files, which is what happened to me. > > The second commit add exit in case `cd` fails, which prevents other > errors afterwards. > > Those modification do not add support for path with whitespace, as I was > still unable to compile the software, they did however prevent cygport > to delete unrelated data (or create data in the wrong location). > > >> I'm willing to consider a >> *limited* patch that makes sure that cygport doesn't do something it >> shouldn't in that case, but that's about it. > > Also because if the underlying tool like `make` does not support spaces, > it has no benefit. > > The most minimal patch I can imagine is exiting if `cd` fails (just the > second commit). > Would you accept that? > But please also consider my other arguments. > >> Yaakov > > PS: > > A "nice" side-effect to quoting most variables that could contain white > space is that static-analyzers like shellcheck will emit less > diagnostic, making it easier to discover potential errors. >