public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* posh setup.hint
@ 2009-02-01 19:11 Dave
From: Dave @ 2009-02-01 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

While updating chere for posh, I came across a couple oddities with
posh's setup.hint.

Despite being a shell, posh only turns up in the Interpreters category.
Should it be in Shells so that it's easier to find?

The setup.hint and cygwin announcements refer to posh as 'Almost POSIX
compliant SHell', whereas the man page refers to it as 'Policy-compliant
Ordinary SHell'.

Regards,

Dave.

* Re: posh setup.hint
@ 2009-02-02  8:06 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2009-02-02  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Jari Aalto

Jaari?

On Feb  1 19:11, Dave wrote:
> While updating chere for posh, I came across a couple oddities with
> posh's setup.hint.
>
> Despite being a shell, posh only turns up in the Interpreters category.
> Should it be in Shells so that it's easier to find?
>
> The setup.hint and cygwin announcements refer to posh as 'Almost POSIX
> compliant SHell', whereas the man page refers to it as 'Policy-compliant
> Ordinary SHell'.
>

> Regards,
>
> Dave.

Red Hat

* Re: posh setup.hint
@ 2009-02-03 18:21   ` Jari Aalto
From: Jari Aalto @ 2009-02-03 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Dave <kilroyd-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org> writes:

> While updating chere for posh, I came across a couple oddities with
> posh's setup.hint.
>
> Despite being a shell, posh only turns up in the Interpreters category.
> Should it be in Shells so that it's easier to find?

Included now.

> The setup.hint and cygwin announcements refer to posh as 'Almost POSIX
> compliant SHell', whereas the man page refers to it as 'Policy-compliant
> Ordinary SHell'.

The Shell was developed in Debian to test that /etc/init.d scripts would
be POSIX compliant. The few exceptions were those defined in Debian
policy; e.g. the use of 'local' keyword. Thus "Policy-compliant Ordinary
SHell".

The Long desc has been updated in setup.hint

Jari