public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: [Bug] setup regression #2
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 20:05:57 +0100	[thread overview]

Jon Turney writes:
> I believe that the intent of the code in setup is that there should
> only be two modes:
>
> USER: install "for me", with the users primary group

As I understand it, the intention here was that the user can have a
"single user installation" in a place that they have access to (say,
their home directory) while they have no permission in one of the usual
places.  In a setup where that place is a certain type of share the user
will not be able to change the group the files are owned by anyway
(standard NetApp CIFS shares are set up this way) and it may not be the
users primary group.

> SYSTEM: install "for everyone", with the administrators primary group
> (only permitted if you are an administrator)

I don't see why the fact the installation is meant to be used by
multiple users means that the install must be owned by group
Administrators.  I'm not sure this is a good idea on Windows anyway, at
least when you don't put extra (inheritable) DACL on the install
folder.

I've never tried installing into the usual place (%ProgramFiles%) as
that means that Windows enforces a number of rules that are different
from Cygwin's and change non-domain vs. in-domain machines, applied GPO
etc.

So I'd really just introduce another parameter to specify what the group
the installer uses should be and have the default depend on whether the
user doing the install has administrative rights or not.  A warning
should be issued when that group is different from the existing root
directory and of course the whole install should abort if the requested
group can't be made primary.

Regards,
Achim.