public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITA] duplicity
@ 2022-04-06 22:10 Libor Ukropec
From: Libor Ukropec @ 2022-04-06 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I'd like to offer to adopt maintenance of duplicity (Encrypted
bandwidth-efficient backup system)

Information from https://duplicity.gitlab.io/ - """The last stable 0.7
release is *0.7.19*, released Apr 19, 2019""", while cygwin contains
0.7.11 from 2017

Updated cygport:
https://github.com/cz6ace/cygwin-duplicity

Updated build:
https://github.com/cz6ace/cygwin-duplicity/releases

Please note for successful installation the python 2.7 fasteners package
is required, not yet in cygwin, I plan to offer [ITP] for it:
cygport:
https://github.com/cz6ace/cygwin-python-fasteners

build:
https://github.com/cz6ace/cygwin-python-fasteners/releases

Python standard library provides a lock for threads (both a reentrant
one, and a non-reentrant one, see below). Fasteners extends this, and
provides a lock for processes, as well as Reader Writer locks for both
threads and processes.

This library (in newer version) is also present in LInux distributions,
e.g. Ubuntu:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/source/focal/s390x/python-fasteners

Regards,
Libor

* Re: [ITA] duplicity
@ 2022-04-06 23:40 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-04-06 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2022-04-06 16:10, Libor Ukropec wrote:
> I'd like to offer to adopt maintenance of duplicity (Encrypted
> bandwidth-efficient backup system)
> Information from https://duplicity.gitlab.io/ - """The last stable 0.7
> release is *0.7.19*, released Apr 19, 2019""", while cygwin contains
> 0.7.11 from 2017
> Updated cygport:
> https://github.com/cz6ace/cygwin-duplicity

You need to define BUILD_REQUIRES and list all Cygwin packages needed to
build this package:

https://cygwin.github.io/cygport/check_funcs_cygpart.html#robo791

Use BUILD_REQUIRES+=" ..." for additional lines of packages.

> Updated build:
> https://github.com/cz6ace/cygwin-duplicity/releases

See:

	https://cygwin.com/git/cygwin-packages/duplicity.git

You can clone the repo for the original files, checkout a playground
branch, commit your changes and patches (and any extra source files),
define the upstream playground branch, and push your changes there,
which will run Scallywag CI under Github Actions (or Appveyor if you
configure that cygport option).

> Please note for successful installation the python 2.7 fasteners package
> is required, not yet in cygwin, I plan to offer [ITP] for it:
> cygport:
> https://github.com/cz6ace/cygwin-python-fasteners
> build:
> https://github.com/cz6ace/cygwin-python-fasteners/releases

Need to support python3/39 now: see python package cygports in
cygwin-packages repos as above!

@ 2022-04-07 19:39   ` Libor Ukropec
From: Libor Ukropec @ 2022-04-07 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi Brian,
Dne 07.04.2022 v 1:40 Brian Inglis napsal(a):
> On 2022-04-06 16:10, Libor Ukropec wrote:
>> I'd like to offer to adopt maintenance of duplicity (Encrypted
>> bandwidth-efficient backup system)
>> Information from https://duplicity.gitlab.io/ - """The last stable 0.7
>> release is *0.7.19*, released Apr 19, 2019""", while cygwin contains
>> 0.7.11 from 2017
>> Updated cygport:
>> https://github.com/cz6ace/cygwin-duplicity
>
> You need to define BUILD_REQUIRES and list all Cygwin packages needed to
> build this package:
>
> https://cygwin.github.io/cygport/check_funcs_cygpart.html#robo791
>
> Use BUILD_REQUIRES+=" ..." for additional lines of packages.
>
>> Updated build:
>> https://github.com/cz6ace/cygwin-duplicity/releases
>
> See:
>
>      https://cygwin.com/git/cygwin-packages/duplicity.git

This repository was my starting point, I just increased the version and
prepared the package (below) for the new python dependency (fasterners).
I did not see on the contribution page any mention to the `playground`
thing and an automation - will try that, once my SSH key is added.

As my first contribution to cygwin I wanted to start with small steps
and stay with 0.7 duplicity, which still depends on the Python 2.7

> You can clone the repo for the original files, checkout a playground
> branch, commit your changes and patches (and any extra source files),
> define the upstream playground branch, and push your changes there,
> which will run Scallywag CI under Github Actions (or Appveyor if you
> configure that cygport option).
>
>> Please note for successful installation the python 2.7 fasteners
>> package is required, not yet in cygwin, I plan to offer [ITP] for it:
>> cygport:
>> https://github.com/cz6ace/cygwin-python-fasteners
>> build:
>> https://github.com/cz6ace/cygwin-python-fasteners/releases
>
> Need to support python3/39 now: see python package cygports in
> cygwin-packages repos as above!

Is it a must at this moment? As I stated above, duplicity 0.7.x requires
Python 2.7

I changed the `inherit` to python-wheel, which should support 2.7,3.8, 3.9:

inherit python-wheel

PYTHON_WHEEL_VERSIONS="2.7:3.8:3.9"

But the cygport does not create the tar.cz archive for 2.7 and fails with

... <shortened the list>
-usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fasteners/version.py
*** ERROR: Packages are missing files:

I tried previous cygport version, but it fails creating python 3.7 package.

I'll try to look to cygport sources if I am able to see something, which
I doubt.

@ 2022-04-07 22:26     ` Libor Ukropec
From: Libor Ukropec @ 2022-04-07 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi Brian,

I solved the issue with Python 2.7 by adding PKG_NAMES and *_CONTENTS:

inherit python-wheel

PYTHON_WHEEL_VERSIONS="2.7:3.8:3.9"
NAME="python-fasteners"
VERSION=0.16.3
RELEASE=1
CATEGORY="Python"
SUMMARY="Cross platform locks for threads and processes."
DESCRIPTION="Python standard library provides a lock for threads (both a
reentrant one, and a non-reentrant one, see below). Fasteners extends
this, and provides a lock for processes, as well as Reader Writer locks
for both threads and processes."
SRC_URI="https://github.com/harlowja/fasteners/archive/refs/tags/${VERSION}.tar.gz"
SRC_DIR="fasteners-${VERSION}"
ARCH=noarch
PKG_NAMES+=" python27-fasteners"
python27_fasteners_CONTENTS="usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/
usr/share/doc/python27-fasteners/"

still I'm concerned about the generated requirements, where the package
itself is referring to itself with very long name. Is that normal?

 >>> python38-fasteners requires: python38
python38-fasteners-python-fasteners-fasteners python38-six
 >>> python39-fasteners requires: python39
python39-fasteners-python-fasteners-fasteners python39-six
 >>> python27-fasteners requires: python27
python27-fasteners-python-fasteners-fasteners python27-six

Libor

@ 2022-04-07 23:44       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-04-07 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Run cygport ... all with --debug flag which enables shell tracing
throughout and redirect all output &> debug.log for review.

@ 2022-04-10 18:26         ` Libor Ukropec
From: Libor Ukropec @ 2022-04-10 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi Brian,

1. regarding python-fasteners:

Dne 08.04.2022 v 1:44 Brian Inglis napsal(a):
 > Run cygport ... all with --debug flag which enables shell tracing
 > throughout and redirect all output &> debug.log for review.

Output for command `cygport --debug python-fasteners download all check
&> debug.log`

is here, if you can deduct from it something useful:

https://gist.github.com/cz6ace/929812203a42bd2d69506cad19385eed#file-debug-log

(it is quite long, I do not want to paste it directly into the email)

Also it is unknown to me, how the new repository can be added into the
https://cygwin.com/git/?a=project_list;pf=git/cygwin-packages so I can
execute the tests in the playground too.

2. regarding duplicity itself. My first successful build:
https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/2144688591

Regards,
Libor

@ 2022-04-12  0:09           ` Libor Ukropec
From: Libor Ukropec @ 2022-04-12  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

 > Run cygport ... all with --debug flag which enables shell tracing

I'll answer it myself. If the cygport is given the filename *without*
".cygport" extension, it executes, but wrongly detects the PVR -
NAME/VERSION/RELEASE. When I provided full name, it works as I'd
expected. I think this deserves improvement.

Probably caused by TAB completion when it stopped on the first "."
because python-fasteners.cygport file exists and also the
python-fasteners.noarch existed already from previous run in the same
directory.

Regards,
Libor

I'll try to forget how many hours it took.

@ 2022-04-12 13:10             ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-04-12 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Libor Ukropec, cygwin-apps

On 12/04/2022 01:09, Libor Ukropec wrote:
>  > Run cygport ... all with --debug flag which enables shell tracing
>
> I'll answer it myself. If the cygport is given the filename *without*
> ".cygport" extension, it executes, but wrongly detects the PVR -
> NAME/VERSION/RELEASE. When I provided full name, it works as I'd
> expected. I think this deserves improvement.

Yeah, there's some wonkiness in handling that, I'm not sure why.

>> 1. regarding python-fasteners:
>>
>> Dne 08.04.2022 v 1:44 Brian Inglis napsal(a):
>>  > Run cygport ... all with --debug flag which enables shell tracing
>>  > throughout and redirect all output &> debug.log for review.
>>
>> Output for command `cygport --debug python-fasteners download all
>> check &> debug.log`
>>
>> is here, if you can deduct from it something useful:
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/cz6ace/929812203a42bd2d69506cad19385eed#file-debug-log
>>

>> (it is quite long, I do not want to paste it directly into the email)
>>
>> Also it is unknown to me, how the new repository can be added into the
>> https://cygwin.com/git/?a=project_list;pf=git/cygwin-packages so I can
>> execute the tests in the playground too.

I think this already exists?

https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/duplicity.git

Please keep this up-to-date with your changes.

I've added you as the maintainer for duplicity, so you should now be
able to upload packages and push there.

Thanks!

* Re: [ITA] duplicity
@ 2022-04-12 16:56             ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2022-04-12 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Libor Ukropec writes:
> I'll answer it myself. If the cygport is given the filename *without*
> ".cygport" extension, it executes, but wrongly detects the PVR -
> NAME/VERSION/RELEASE. When I provided full name, it works as I'd
> expected. I think this deserves improvement.

https://repo.or.cz/cygport/rpm-style.git/commitdiff/f25657a4db0e0054789563b1857cab7ab947e71e

Yaakov didn't like the idea for whatever reason I can't remember (the
original patch must be at least ten years old by now)), so this is only
in my fork.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ITA] duplicity
@ 2022-04-12 19:24               ` Libor Ukropec
From: Libor Ukropec @ 2022-04-12 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Dne 12.04.2022 v 15:10 Jon Turney napsal(a):
> On 12/04/2022 01:09, Libor Ukropec wrote:
>>  > Run cygport ... all with --debug flag which enables shell tracing
>>
>> I'll answer it myself. If the cygport is given the filename *without*
>> ".cygport" extension, it executes, but wrongly detects the PVR -
>> NAME/VERSION/RELEASE. When I provided full name, it works as I'd
>> expected. I think this deserves improvement.
>
> Yeah, there's some wonkiness in handling that, I'm not sure why.
>
>>> 1. regarding python-fasteners:
>>>
>>> Dne 08.04.2022 v 1:44 Brian Inglis napsal(a):
>>>  > Run cygport ... all with --debug flag which enables shell tracing
>>>  > throughout and redirect all output &> debug.log for review.
>>>
>>> Output for command `cygport --debug python-fasteners download all
>>> check &> debug.log`
>>>
>>> is here, if you can deduct from it something useful:
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/cz6ace/929812203a42bd2d69506cad19385eed#file-debug-log
>>>

>>> (it is quite long, I do not want to paste it directly into the email)
>>>
>>> Also it is unknown to me, how the new repository can be added into
>>> the https://cygwin.com/git/?a=project_list;pf=git/cygwin-packages so
>>> I can execute the tests in the playground too.
>
> I think this already exists?

It is my fault that I combined two packages into one thread. I want two
things - adopt duplicity for which the repository already exists (only
the BUILD_REQUIRES had to be added + version increase) but for the more
recent duplicity version a new package is required: python-fasteners -
not yet in the cygwin and here I struggled and didn't know how to add a
new repository.

For the python-fasteners I'll kick off new "[ITP] python-fasteners
0.16.3" thread.

> https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/duplicity.git
>
> Please keep this up-to-date with your changes.
>
> I've added you as the maintainer for duplicity, so you should now be
> able to upload packages and push there.

Thank you, will have to wait for python-fasteners approval.