public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Build machines
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 21:05:59 +0200	[thread overview]

Achim Gratz via Cygwin-apps writes:
> The original plan was to make this my new Linux desktop and replace the
> 9 year old Haswell I'm using right now and wait until the 16-core
> Phoenix processors are finally available, but I'll probably have to
> re-think that.

I misremembered the code names.  The direct successor to the 7735HS
(Rembrandt Refresh) are the 7840HS / 7940HS (Phoenix-H at 8 cores and
upgraded to 4nm Zen4/RDNA3 and about 15% better performance per Watt);
the upcoming 16 core is the 7945HX (Dragon Range, 5nm Zen4/RDNA2).

Anyway, I just ordered another of one these to become my new Linux
desktop, the first one will stay with Win11 Pro and Cygwin and become my
new build box in the coming weeks.  I added a 4TB SSD for archival
storage last weekend, for now I'll keep the 500GB NVMe it came with for
OS and builds as it seems to not limit anything in any meaningful way
for now.  If it turns out later that it does I'll just switch to a
speedy 2TB NVMe later on (I already had one, but that will go into #2 as
system / home drive as per the original plan).

Regards,
Achim.