public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* New UPX 3.91 supports Win64/PE
@ 2013-11-16 10:39 Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-11-16 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: cygwin-apps

Hi Achim,

I just had a look onto http://upx.sourceforge.net/ and, you won't
believe it, the last version 3.91 from September this year adds
experimental support for Win64/PE files.  I tried the native Win32
binary they provide on this website with our setup-x86_64.exe and
it seems to work nicely, which means, the compressed setup-x86_64.exe
started and was even able to elevate itself as far as I can tell.

Any chance we can get an upx (and probably ucl) update soon?

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 836 bytes --]

* Re: New UPX 3.91 supports Win64/PE
@ 2013-11-16 19:51 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-11-16 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> I just had a look onto http://upx.sourceforge.net/ and, you won't
> believe it, the last version 3.91 from September this year adds
> experimental support for Win64/PE files.

Wonderful, thanks for letting me know… plus they fixed the build for
newer versions of the LZMA SDK, so I've upgraded that to v9.22 as well.

>  I tried the native Win32
> binary they provide on this website with our setup-x86_64.exe and
> it seems to work nicely, which means, the compressed setup-x86_64.exe
> started and was even able to elevate itself as far as I can tell.
>
> Any chance we can get an upx (and probably ucl) update soon?

Uploaded (as a test version at the moment since it is a beta version).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: New UPX 3.91 supports Win64/PE
@ 2013-11-17 11:26   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-11-17 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Nov 16 20:50, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > I just had a look onto http://upx.sourceforge.net/ and, you won't
> > believe it, the last version 3.91 from September this year adds
> > experimental support for Win64/PE files.
>
> Wonderful, thanks for letting me know… plus they fixed the build for
> newer versions of the LZMA SDK, so I've upgraded that to v9.22 as well.
>
> >  I tried the native Win32
> > binary they provide on this website with our setup-x86_64.exe and
> > it seems to work nicely, which means, the compressed setup-x86_64.exe
> > started and was even able to elevate itself as far as I can tell.
> >
> > Any chance we can get an upx (and probably ucl) update soon?
>
> Uploaded (as a test version at the moment since it is a beta version).

Thanks, but I think 3.91 should go "curr".  It's not a beta version but
a full release, only the 64 bit Windows support is marked as experimental.

@ 2013-11-17 12:36     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-11-17 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> Uploaded (as a test version at the moment since it is a beta version).
>
> Thanks, but I think 3.91 should go "curr".  It's not a beta version but
> a full release, only the 64 bit Windows support is marked as experimental.

As I wrote in the announcement mail, I've also updated to the 9.22
version of the LZMA SDK (which has been marked beta for all its
existence).  So far I haven't seen any problems, but my own testing has
been very limited and I would like to see more evidence that things are
working correctly than just setup.exe not crashing.

Regards,
Achim.