public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITA] base-files
@ 2014-03-15 17:45 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-03-15 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Since the current maintainer David Le Sastre Medina seems to have gone
missing, here's my attempt to wrap up the changes that were implemented
after the 4.1-2 package was published as experimental (and then never
released).  The pertinent discussions on the Cygwin ML are listed in the
ChangeLog.

Change Log
----------
4.1-3
    * Eliminate Windows PATH from default PATH if CYGWIN_NOWINPATH is
      set.  Record the Windows PATH in ORIGINAL_PATH unless that
      variable is already set.
    * Better guard for non-existent /etc/skel.
    * Improve profile_d function.
      cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-08/msg00488.html
    * Add /etc/shells.
      cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-03/msg00039.html
    * Use full path for tools and avoid DOS file warning when creating
      service files.
      cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-07/msg00114.html

Git repository (originally cloned from GitHub):
http://repo.or.cz/w/cygwin-base-files.git

Test package:
wget="wget -rxnH --cut-dirs=2 http://cygwin.stromeko.net/noarch/release"
${wget}/base-files/base-files/base-files-4.1-3.tar.xz

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ITA] base-files
@ 2014-03-16 11:31 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-03-16 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi Achim,

On Mar 15 18:45, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Since the current maintainer David Le Sastre Medina seems to have gone
> missing, here's my attempt to wrap up the changes that were implemented
> after the 4.1-2 package was published as experimental (and then never
> released).  The pertinent discussions on the Cygwin ML are listed in the
> ChangeLog.
>
> Change Log
> ----------
> 4.1-3
>     * Eliminate Windows PATH from default PATH if CYGWIN_NOWINPATH is
>       set.  Record the Windows PATH in ORIGINAL_PATH unless that
>       variable is already set.
>     * Better guard for non-existent /etc/skel.
>     * Improve profile_d function.
>       cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-08/msg00488.html
>     * Add /etc/shells.
>       cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-03/msg00039.html
>     * Use full path for tools and avoid DOS file warning when creating
>       service files.
>       cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-07/msg00114.html
>

> Git repository (originally cloned from GitHub):
> http://repo.or.cz/w/cygwin-base-files.git
>

> Test package:
> wget="wget -rxnH --cut-dirs=2 http://cygwin.stromeko.net/noarch/release"
> ${wget}/base-files/base-files/base-files-4.1-3.tar.xz
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      There's one "base-files" too much.

A few (rather minor) notes:

- I think you should bump the version number.  4.2 or whatever.

- In etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh:

    /usr/bin/chmod 1777 /tmp 2>/dev/null

  This looks gratuitious.  Setup itself already sets /tmp to 1777.
  I never heard of somebody changing the permission of /tmp to
  something else, so it probably doesn't hurt...

- In etc/defaults/etc/profile:

  Just a heads-up.  Be prepared to remove the entire section about
  mkpasswd/mkgroup checking.  It won't work as expected anymore as soon
  as my AD integration code goes release.  Along these lines, I will
  update the base-cygwin package not to create passwd and group files
  anymore.

- Do we still need etc/defaults/etc/profile.d/1777fix.sh?  How long has
  it been?

Other than that, it looks good to me.  I'd say, let's go for it when
you're ready.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: [ITA] base-files
@ 2014-03-16 17:09   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-03-16 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> wget="wget -rxnH --cut-dirs=2 http://cygwin.stromeko.net/noarch/release"
>> ${wget}/base-files/base-files/base-files-4.1-3.tar.xz
>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>       There's one "base-files" too much.

Thanks for catching that, sorry.  The middle button of my mouse acts up
since a few days and produces additional clicks sometimes…

> A few (rather minor) notes:
>
> - I think you should bump the version number.  4.2 or whatever.

I've no problem doing that once everything else is finalized.

> - In etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh:
>
>     /usr/bin/chmod 1777 /tmp 2>/dev/null
>
>   This looks gratuitious.  Setup itself already sets /tmp to 1777.
>   I never heard of somebody changing the permission of /tmp to
>   something else, so it probably doesn't hurt...

That has been in there since the 4.0 release.  I cannot find out what
problem it was supposed to solve (it was introduced at the end of 2010).
I can remove it if setup.exe already does that.

> - In etc/defaults/etc/profile:
>
>   Just a heads-up.  Be prepared to remove the entire section about
>   mkpasswd/mkgroup checking.  It won't work as expected anymore as soon
>   as my AD integration code goes release.  Along these lines, I will
>   update the base-cygwin package not to create passwd and group files
>   anymore.

:-)

> - Do we still need etc/defaults/etc/profile.d/1777fix.sh?  How long has
>   it been?

Almost exactly two years.  Again I can't really follow what the original
problem was, but if it's been solved in a different way in the meantime,
then that script certainly can be removed.

> Other than that, it looks good to me.  I'd say, let's go for it when
> you're ready.

I still need to wait for Chuck to create an inetutils package without
/etc/defaults/etc/shells.  Then we'll probably need someone with
sourceware access to create the four !ready files so that the upload
gets done in synchrony.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ITA] base-files
@ 2014-03-16 17:50     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-03-16 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 06:09:22PM +0100, Achim Gratz wrote:
>Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> Other than that, it looks good to me.  I'd say, let's go for it when
>> you're ready.
>
>I still need to wait for Chuck to create an inetutils package without
>/etc/defaults/etc/shells.  Then we'll probably need someone with
>sourceware access to create the four !ready files so that the upload
>gets done in synchrony.

The files are moved a 14 minutes past the hour.  Just don't upload a
couple of minutes befor that time and you won't require error-prone
external help.

cgf

* Re: [ITA] base-files
@ 2014-03-23 14:05     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-03-23 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, cygwin

Achim Gratz writes:
>> Other than that, it looks good to me.  I'd say, let's go for it when
>> you're ready.

New version with those changes has been uploaded:

wget="wget -rxnH --cut-dirs=2 http://cygwin.stromeko.net/noarch/release"
${wget}/base-files/base-files-4.2-1.tar.xz

> I still need to wait for Chuck to create an inetutils package without
> /etc/defaults/etc/shells.

Chuck, could you let me know when you're ready so we can arrange for a
synchroneous upload?

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html

* Re: [ITA] base-files
@ 2014-04-02 13:41       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-04-02 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Charles Wilson

On Mar 23 15:04, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Achim Gratz writes:
> >> Other than that, it looks good to me.  I'd say, let's go for it when
> >> you're ready.
>
> New version with those changes has been uploaded:

> wget="wget -rxnH --cut-dirs=2 http://cygwin.stromeko.net/noarch/release"
> ${wget}/base-files/base-files-4.2-1.tar.xz
>
> > I still need to wait for Chuck to create an inetutils package without
> > /etc/defaults/etc/shells.
>
> Chuck, could you let me know when you're ready so we can arrange for a
> synchroneous upload?

FYI, I contacted Chuck off-list 6 days ago but he didn't reply yet.

I hope Chuck will still reply in the next couple of days, but if not, we
have to find some solution to be able to go forward.

@ 2014-04-05 10:20         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-04-05 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> FYI, I contacted Chuck off-list 6 days ago but he didn't reply yet.

Same here.

> I hope Chuck will still reply in the next couple of days, but if not, we
> have to find some solution to be able to go forward.

I am updating some packages this weekend, so if someone can make me
temporarily maintainer for inetutils-server I'll repackage it without
/etc/default/etc/shells and upload together with base-files and the
other updates.

@ 2014-04-07 12:08           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-04-07 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Apr  5 12:20, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > FYI, I contacted Chuck off-list 6 days ago but he didn't reply yet.
>
> Same here.
>
> > I hope Chuck will still reply in the next couple of days, but if not, we
> > have to find some solution to be able to go forward.
>
> I am updating some packages this weekend, so if someone can make me
> temporarily maintainer for inetutils-server I'll repackage it without
> /etc/default/etc/shells and upload together with base-files and the
> other updates.

Chris, can we do this by simple changing cygwin-pkg-maint temporarily?

@ 2014-04-07 18:19             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-04-07 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 02:08:42PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Apr  5 12:20, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> > FYI, I contacted Chuck off-list 6 days ago but he didn't reply yet.
>>
>> Same here.
>>
>> > I hope Chuck will still reply in the next couple of days, but if not, we
>> > have to find some solution to be able to go forward.
>>
>> I am updating some packages this weekend, so if someone can make me
>> temporarily maintainer for inetutils-server I'll repackage it without
>> /etc/default/etc/shells and upload together with base-files and the
>> other updates.
>
>Chris, can we do this by simple changing cygwin-pkg-maint temporarily?

Yep.  That would work.

cgf

* Re: [ITA] base-files
@ 2014-04-07 18:20               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-04-07 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 02:19:10PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 02:08:42PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>>
>>> Same here.

>>> I am updating some packages this weekend, so if someone can make me
>>> temporarily maintainer for inetutils-server I'll repackage it without
>>> /etc/default/etc/shells and upload together with base-files and the
>>> other updates.
>>
>>Chris, can we do this by simple changing cygwin-pkg-maint temporarily?
>
>Yep.  That would work.

In theory, you shouldn't have to drop Chuck as a maintainer.  You could
have both Achim and Chuck as inetutils-server maintainers.

cgf

* Re: [ITA] base-files
@ 2014-04-07 18:55                 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-04-07 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Apr  7 14:20, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 02:19:10PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >>Chris, can we do this by simple changing cygwin-pkg-maint temporarily?
> >
> >Yep.  That would work.
>
> In theory, you shouldn't have to drop Chuck as a maintainer.  You could
> have both Achim and Chuck as inetutils-server maintainers.

How so?  Simply both maintainers in the same line, like this:

inetutils                       Charles Wilson, Achim Gratz

or two lines?

inetutils                       Charles Wilson
inetutils                       Achim Gratz

@ 2014-04-07 19:23                   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-04-07 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 08:55:52PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Apr  7 14:20, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >Yep.  That would work.
>>
>> In theory, you shouldn't have to drop Chuck as a maintainer.  You could
>> have both Achim and Chuck as inetutils-server maintainers.
>
>How so?  Simply both maintainers in the same line, like this:
>
>inetutils                       Charles Wilson, Achim Gratz
>
>or two lines?
>
>inetutils                       Charles Wilson
>inetutils                       Achim Gratz

The latter.

The former would be viewed as one person named

"Charles Wilson, Achim Gratz".

cgf

* Re: [ITA] base-files
@ 2014-04-07 19:30                     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-04-07 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Apr  7 15:23, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 08:55:52PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >> In theory, you shouldn't have to drop Chuck as a maintainer.  You could
> >> have both Achim and Chuck as inetutils-server maintainers.
> >
> >How so?  Simply both maintainers in the same line, like this:
> >
> >inetutils                       Charles Wilson, Achim Gratz
> >
> >or two lines?
> >
> >inetutils                       Charles Wilson
> >inetutils                       Achim Gratz
>
> The latter.

Done.  Achim, if you would be so kind...

Thanks,

@ 2014-04-07 19:39                       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-04-07 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> Done.  Achim, if you would be so kind...

I'll do it tomorrow evening as the latest update of the !package file
hasn't picked it up yet.  I have an early morning meeting tomorrow and
need to fetch some sleep, so I don't want to wait another hour… hope
this is OK.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ITA] base-files
@ 2014-04-07 19:46                         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-04-07 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 09:39:46PM +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
>Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> Done.  Achim, if you would be so kind...
>
>I'll do it tomorrow evening as the latest update of the !package file
>hasn't picked it up yet.  I have an early morning meeting tomorrow and
>need to fetch some sleep, so I don't want to wait another hour… hope
>this is OK.

Package updates happen every five minutes so you were probably only
a minute or so from having inetutils upload privileges.

cgf

* Re: [ITA] base-files
@ 2014-04-08 18:05                           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-04-08 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Christopher Faylor writes:
> Package updates happen every five minutes so you were probably only
> a minute or so from having inetutils upload privileges.

I've seen that and almost put the update out, but I have one question: I
gave the patched tar file a release number of "1p1" so that Chuck can
continue to increment his releases as he wishes.  That works fine when
using genini, but I'm not sure what if upset would accept this as a
valid package.  If you think that's OK, then I'll set the !ready flags.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ITA] base-files
@ 2014-04-08 18:15                             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-04-08 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 08:05:39PM +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
>Christopher Faylor writes:
>> Package updates happen every five minutes so you were probably only
>> a minute or so from having inetutils upload privileges.
>
>I've seen that and almost put the update out, but I have one question: I
>gave the patched tar file a release number of "1p1" so that Chuck can
>continue to increment his releases as he wishes.  That works fine when
>using genini, but I'm not sure what if upset would accept this as a
>valid package.  If you think that's OK, then I'll set the !ready flags.

That's very thoughtful of you but I think I'd rather not experiment with
version number ordering.  I think you should just bump the -N part to
the next higher number and let Chuck deal with bumping his version number
twice.  I think that will be less confusing to upset and the end user.

On a side note:  I REALLY REALLY hope Chuck is ok and is just on vacation
or something.

cgf

* Re: [ITA] base-files
@ 2014-04-08 18:30                               ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-04-08 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Christopher Faylor writes:
> That's very thoughtful of you but I think I'd rather not experiment with
> version number ordering.  I think you should just bump the -N part to
> the next higher number and let Chuck deal with bumping his version number
> twice.  I think that will be less confusing to upset and the end user.

Done and the update is triggered.  Hopefully that works out with no
errors from upset.  If I may ask another question, is there a way to get
the generated setup.ini files directly, before they get pushed out to
the mirrors?

> On a side note:  I REALLY REALLY hope Chuck is ok and is just on vacation
> or something.

Seconded.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ITA] base-files
@ 2014-04-08 19:08                                 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-04-08 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 08:30:02PM +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
>Christopher Faylor writes:
>> That's very thoughtful of you but I think I'd rather not experiment with
>> version number ordering.  I think you should just bump the -N part to
>> the next higher number and let Chuck deal with bumping his version number
>> twice.  I think that will be less confusing to upset and the end user.
>
>Done and the update is triggered.  Hopefully that works out with no
>errors from upset.  If I may ask another question, is there a way to get
>the generated setup.ini files directly, before they get pushed out to
>the mirrors?

You can always download them directly from ftp.cygwin.com but I wouldn't
advertise that fact too heavily.  We have mirrors to keep the load on
cygwin.com/sourceware.org as light as possible.

cgf

* Re: [ITA] base-files
@ 2014-04-08 19:46                                   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-04-08 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Christopher Faylor writes:
> You can always download them directly from ftp.cygwin.com but I wouldn't
> advertise that fact too heavily.  We have mirrors to keep the load on
> cygwin.com/sourceware.org as light as possible.

Thanks.  Being able to use this has alerted me to the fact that I
needed to also change the setup.hint file on x86 due to the fact that a
test package was present.  On its way now…

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ ITA ] base-files
@ 2011-03-14 18:46       ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2011-03-14 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 10:12:01AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >> Looks good to me. Uploaded and cygwin-pkg-maint updated. Can versions
> >> before 3.9-3 be deleted?
> >>
> >> Keeper of the Gold Stars, please award a richly deserved one for
> >> adopting and revamping this vital package.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your patience!
> >
> >Indeed.  It took so long to iron out the package that I already thought
> >it would get the vaporware award at one point :)  I'm really glad that
> >you took over the package, David, and that you worked so diligently on
> >it.  A gold star is well deserved.
>
> Big ditto.  It's a huge relief to have this package in capable hands.

Awarded.  http://cygwin.com/goldstars/#DS

* Re: [ ITA ] base-files
@ 2011-03-12 18:53     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-03-12 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

@ 2011-03-12 13:15     ` David Sastre
From: David Sastre @ 2011-03-12 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 10:12:01AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar 12 07:25, Andy Koppe wrote:
> > On 11 March 2011 21:26, David Sastre wrote:
> > Can versions before 3.9-3 be deleted?

If this is a question for me, I think they can be safely deleted now.

> > Keeper of the Gold Stars, please award a richly deserved one for
> > adopting and revamping this vital package.
> >
> Indeed.  It took so long to iron out the package that I already thought
> it would get the vaporware award at one point :)  I'm really glad that
> you took over the package, David, and that you worked so diligently on
> it.  A gold star is well deserved.

Being part (even such a little one) of the awesome collective effort the
cygwin project represents is the Real Gold Star I'm the recipient of.

Thank You.

--
Huella de clave primaria: 0FDA C36F F110 54F4 D42B  D0EB 617D 396C 448B 31EB

* Re: [ ITA ] base-files
@ 2011-03-12 10:21     ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2011-03-12 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 12 March 2011 09:14, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar 12 07:25, Andy Koppe wrote:
>> On 11 March 2011 21:26, David Sastre wrote:
>> > Links to base-files-4.0-4:
>> >
>> > http://crapsteak.org/cygwin/release/base-files/base-files-4.0-4.tar.bz2
>> > http://crapsteak.org/cygwin/release/base-files/base-files-4.0-4.tar.bz2.sig
>>
>> Looks good to me. Uploaded and cygwin-pkg-maint updated.
>
> Andy, I don't see the change in cygwin-pkg-maint.  Did you forget to
> checkin?

Yep, sorry. Now done.

Andy

* Re: [ ITA ] base-files
@ 2011-03-12  9:14   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-03-12  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

@ 2011-03-12  9:12   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-03-12  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

@ 2011-03-12  7:25 ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2011-03-12  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 11 March 2011 21:26, David Sastre wrote:
> Links to base-files-4.0-4:
>
> http://crapsteak.org/cygwin/release/base-files/base-files-4.0-4.tar.bz2
> http://crapsteak.org/cygwin/release/base-files/base-files-4.0-4.tar.bz2.sig

Looks good to me. Uploaded and cygwin-pkg-maint updated. Can versions
before 3.9-3 be deleted?

Keeper of the Gold Stars, please award a richly deserved one for
adopting and revamping this vital package.

Thanks for your patience!
Andy

* [ ITA ] base-files
@ 2011-03-11 21:26 David Sastre