On 2024-03-21 03:36, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin-apps wrote: > On Mar 20 14:59, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote: >> On 2024-03-19 02:19, brian.inglis@systematicsw.ab.ca wrote: >>> On 2024-03-18 21:12, Matt Johnson-Pint via tz wrote: >>>> I just learned that Ubuntu Noble (24.04) decided to intentionally >>>> split the tzdata package.  Old-style links such as US/Eastern are no >>>> longer included by default, but are available in the tzdata-legacy >>>> package instead. >>>> >>>> Just thought I'd share.  I wonder if other distributions / platforms >>>> / libraries will follow suit.  What do y'all think? >>>> >>>> See: >>>> >>>> >> >>> I've been looking at that to reduce Cygwin CI and embedded build server >>> setup overhead by limiting base install data to: >>> >>> - only the zones in zonenow.tab; >>> - optionally those in zone1970.tab not in zonenow.tab; >>> - additionally those in zone.tab in backward, and/or backzone; >>> - possibly those not in zone.tab, only in backward, and/or backzone; >>> - additions those in posix subtree, or right subtree. >> >> As tzdata maintainer, I would like to discuss on this list first, to take >> advantage of a wide variety of experience in different environments with >> different practices and requirements, before making more definite proposals >> on the public list. >> >> Please see the attached log for prioritized subsets of tzdata for consideration: >> [...] >> What would the impact on tzset conversion from Windows to Olson tzdb be? >> We would probably have to add all of these in to any minimal install. >> I think I looked at that somewhere, sometime, not too long ago. > > We're generating the conversion from Windows to POSIX timezone via > the conversion table from unicode.org: > > https://cygwin.com/cgit/newlib-cygwin/tree/winsup/utils/tzmap-from-unicode.org > > Plus a few (7, actually) mappings the Unicode consortium missed in > the list (or maybe they are available in the meantime, needs checking). > This is the minimum list of timezone info we need in the tzdata DB. I generated tzmap.h and generated differences since the last update cldr ~40. I also searched in the latest for matches for each field attached as first. I do not know if they will be of help as I see you have already looked at tzmap. It looks as if the match might better prioritize country code over Windows label. -- Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis Calgary, Alberta, Canada La perfection est atteinte Perfection is achieved non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter not when there is no more to add mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer but when there is no more to cut -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry