On 23/11/2020 19:16, ASSI wrote: > Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps writes: >> That is strange if it's so much faster on your system. > I've checked again to be sure: > > Compile 41 minutes, install 7 (32bit) / 4 (64bit) minutes, packaging 5 > minutes. Okay, wow that is a LOT quicker. I haven't timed mine precisely buts it's something like: Compile 2 hrs, install 40 minutes (64bit), 120 minutes (32bit), packaging probably like 5 minutes. >> Fortunately I have loads of memory so it's not too much of an issue >> for me. Most of the time on 32-bit Cygwin is spent stripping the >> executables, which is _way_ slower than on 64-bit Cygwin, by a factor >> of probably 3-4. > What's the disk based on? I've recently switched to NVMe and while it's > not doing wonders compared to the SATA-SSD I've had before it has helped > to shave some time off the builds, generally in the order of 10…25% (for > gcc that means about half an hour so that's very welcome even if it > doesn't sound much). Running a VM probably means you're running on a > filesystem image rather than a dedicated disk and that probably means an > extra slowdown anyway. NVMe would enable you to make that overhead go > away, but it needs to be supported through the whole hypervisor / VM > stack to be effective. I have an NVME disk, but all my VMs (including this one) are on a SATA disk, and it's a Samsung QVO 1TB one that was cheaper but also slower (sustained write slows down to 80 MB/s eventually). Read is quick though. IIRC it's presented as SATA to the VM too. I'd better have a look at my configuration. Maybe do some disk and CPU benchmarks. This is in virtualbox so perhaps it's yet another problem with that, in the long list of problems I seem to have with virtualbox. The VM has 16GB of RAM dedicated to it, how does that compare to your system? Hamish