public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Cygwin Terminal icon broken on case-sensitive systems
@ 2011-11-24 15:47 Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2011-11-24 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I'm afraid there's a problem with the new "Cygwin Terminal" icon
(which I'm sorry not to have spotted when reviewing the change).

Setup.exe creates the mintty shortcuts with '-i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico',
yet the icon file it creates is called 'cygwin-terminal.ico', i.e. all
lowercase. This means that users of systems with case sensitivity
enabled just get to see a dialog box saying "/usr/bin/mintty: could
not load icon from '/Cygwin-Terminal.ico'".

Apparently at least two users have fallen foul of this already:

http://georgik.sinusgear.com/2011/11/23/mintty-resizable-terminal-for-windows/

Andy

* Re: Cygwin Terminal icon broken on case-sensitive systems
@ 2011-11-24 16:10 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-11-24 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Nov 24 15:42, Andy Koppe wrote:
> I'm afraid there's a problem with the new "Cygwin Terminal" icon
> (which I'm sorry not to have spotted when reviewing the change).
>
> Setup.exe creates the mintty shortcuts with '-i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico',
> yet the icon file it creates is called 'cygwin-terminal.ico', i.e. all
> lowercase. This means that users of systems with case sensitivity
> enabled just get to see a dialog box saying "/usr/bin/mintty: could
> not load icon from '/Cygwin-Terminal.ico'".

I don't understand that.  See the setup sources, file desktop.cc,
line 252:

  save_icon ("/Cygwin-Terminal.ico", "CYGWIN-TERMINAL.ICON");

And here's what *I* got using the current setup:

  $ ls -l /
  total 401
  -rw-r--r--   1 corinna Administrators  53342 Nov 17 10:14 Cygwin-Terminal.ico
  -rwxr-xr-x   1 corinna Administrators     59 Nov 17 10:14 Cygwin.bat
  -rw-r--r--   1 corinna Administrators 157097 Nov 17 10:14 Cygwin.ico
  [...]

How come that the file is created in all lowercase on other systems?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Cygwin Terminal icon broken on case-sensitive systems
@ 2011-11-24 16:11 ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2011-11-24 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 24 November 2011 15:42, Andy Koppe wrote:
> I'm afraid there's a problem with the new "Cygwin Terminal" icon
> (which I'm sorry not to have spotted when reviewing the change).
>
> Setup.exe creates the mintty shortcuts with '-i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico',
> yet the icon file it creates is called 'cygwin-terminal.ico', i.e. all
> lowercase. This means that users of systems with case sensitivity
> enabled just get to see a dialog box saying "/usr/bin/mintty: could
> not load icon from '/Cygwin-Terminal.ico'".

Actually, I take it all back. I'd confused myself by still having a
'cygwin-terminal.ico' lying around from earlier experiments. Setup.exe
does create it with the correct name.

> Apparently at least two users have fallen foul of this already:
>
> http://georgik.sinusgear.com/2011/11/23/mintty-resizable-terminal-for-windows/

Still leaves the question what's going on there.

@ 2011-12-31 10:15   ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2011-12-31 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 24 November 2011 16:10, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 24 November 2011 15:42, Andy Koppe wrote:
>> I'm afraid there's a problem with the new "Cygwin Terminal" icon
>> (which I'm sorry not to have spotted when reviewing the change).
>>
>> Setup.exe creates the mintty shortcuts with '-i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico',
>> yet the icon file it creates is called 'cygwin-terminal.ico', i.e. all
>> lowercase. This means that users of systems with case sensitivity
>> enabled just get to see a dialog box saying "/usr/bin/mintty: could
>> not load icon from '/Cygwin-Terminal.ico'".
>
> Actually, I take it all back. I'd confused myself by still having a
> 'cygwin-terminal.ico' lying around from earlier experiments. Setup.exe
> does create it with the correct name.
>
>> Apparently at least two users have fallen foul of this already:
>>
>> http://georgik.sinusgear.com/2011/11/23/mintty-resizable-terminal-for-windows/
>
> Still leaves the question what's going on there.

I think I found what triggered this: with a non-default dpi setting,
for some reason the ExtractIconEx function used to load the icon
doesn't return a small version of the icon along with the normal one.
I (somewhat accidentally) fixed this in 1.0.3 by no longer insisting
on a small icon being returned, as it's optional when creating a
window class anyway.

Andy