public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] unison2.48
@ 2015-06-05 16:06 Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-06-05 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

There's a new beta release of Unison, version 2.48.  It's incompatible with the
previous releases, so we need a new package for it, unison2.48.  I have it built
and ready to upload.  Please add it to the Cygwin package maintainers list, with
me as maintainer.  Thanks, Andrew

* Re: [ITP] unison2.48
@ 2015-06-05 18:46 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-06-05 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, 2015-06-05 at 12:06 -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> There's a new beta release of Unison, version 2.48.  It's incompatible with the
> previous releases, so we need a new package for it, unison2.48.  I have it built
> and ready to upload.  Please add it to the Cygwin package maintainers list, with
> me as maintainer.  Thanks, Andrew

Done.

BTW do you have any plans to build the GTK GUI versions?

--
Yaakov

* Re: [ITP] unison2.48
@ 2015-06-05 20:16   ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-06-05 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> On Fri, 2015-06-05 at 12:06 -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > There's a new beta release of Unison, version 2.48.  It's incompatible with the
> > previous releases, so we need a new package for it, unison2.48.  I have it built
> > and ready to upload.  Please add it to the Cygwin package maintainers list, with
> > me as maintainer.  Thanks, Andrew
>
> Done.

Thanks.

> BTW do you have any plans to build the GTK GUI versions?

Not immediately.  The last time I tried was several years ago, and there was
some problem with lablgtk that kept it from working.  That was many versions of
unison and lablgtk ago, so it would be worth trying again, but only if people
want it.

For myself, I use command line unison every day, but have no need for the GUI.
And there's a Windows native build GUI, which probably meets many users' needs,
although not necessarily Cygwin users.  So I don't know how many people would
want the GTK GUI.

I guess the thing to do would be to ask on the cygwin list, and see what the
response is.

Andrew

* Re: [ITP] unison2.48
@ 2015-06-05 22:24     ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-06-05 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, 2015-06-05 at 16:16 -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > On Fri, 2015-06-05 at 12:06 -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > BTW do you have any plans to build the GTK GUI versions?
>
> Not immediately.  The last time I tried was several years ago, and there was
> some problem with lablgtk that kept it from working.  That was many versions of
> unison and lablgtk ago, so it would be worth trying again, but only if people
> want it.

I have had a working lablgtk in Ports for some time now.  Have you tried
that?

> For myself, I use command line unison every day, but have no need for the GUI.
> And there's a Windows native build GUI, which probably meets many users' needs,
> although not necessarily Cygwin users.  So I don't know how many people would
> want the GTK GUI.

Well, I wouldn't outright replace the CUI version with the GUI (even
though IIRC the latter can work from the command-line as well with
DISPLAY unset) due to the additional dependencies, but as a separate
command it would be a plus.

--
Yaakov

* Re: [ITP] unison2.48
@ 2015-06-06  1:59       ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-06-06  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> On Fri, 2015-06-05 at 16:16 -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2015-06-05 at 12:06 -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > > BTW do you have any plans to build the GTK GUI versions?
> >
> > Not immediately.  The last time I tried was several years ago, and there was
> > some problem with lablgtk that kept it from working.  That was many versions of
> > unison and lablgtk ago, so it would be worth trying again, but only if people
> > want it.
>
> I have had a working lablgtk in Ports for some time now.  Have you tried
> that?

No, I haven't looked at it in at least 5 years.

> > For myself, I use command line unison every day, but have no need for the GUI.
> > And there's a Windows native build GUI, which probably meets many users' needs,
> > although not necessarily Cygwin users.  So I don't know how many people would
> > want the GTK GUI.
>
> Well, I wouldn't outright replace the CUI version with the GUI (even
> though IIRC the latter can work from the command-line as well with
> DISPLAY unset) due to the additional dependencies, but as a separate
> command it would be a plus.

I always thought the GUI versions would be separate packages - unison2.48gtk,
etc.

I'll poll to find out what the interest is.

Andrew

* Re: [ITP] unison2.48
@ 2015-06-11 12:16         ` Michael DePaulo
From: Michael DePaulo @ 2015-06-11 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 9:59 PM, Andrew Schulman <schulman.andrew@epa.gov> wrote:

>> > Not immediately.  The last time I tried was several years ago, and there was
>> > some problem with lablgtk that kept it from working.  That was many versions of
>> > unison and lablgtk ago, so it would be worth trying again, but only if people
>> > want it.
>>
>> I have had a working lablgtk in Ports for some time now.  Have you tried
>> that?
>
> No, I haven't looked at it in at least 5 years.
>
>> > For myself, I use command line unison every day, but have no need for the GUI.
>> > And there's a Windows native build GUI, which probably meets many users' needs,
>> > although not necessarily Cygwin users.  So I don't know how many people would
>> > want the GTK GUI.
>>
>> Well, I wouldn't outright replace the CUI version with the GUI (even
>> though IIRC the latter can work from the command-line as well with
>> DISPLAY unset) due to the additional dependencies, but as a separate
>> command it would be a plus.
>
> I always thought the GUI versions would be separate packages - unison2.48gtk,
> etc.
>
> I'll poll to find out what the interest is.
>
> Andrew

I am interested.

I will try to package unison2.48gtk when I get a chance; hopefully
within the next few weeks.

-Mike

* Re: [ITP] unison2.48
@ 2015-06-11 12:51           ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-06-11 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> I will try to package unison2.48gtk when I get a chance; hopefully
> within the next few weeks.

Thanks for offering to help.  It seems a little odd to have different
maintainers for the text and GUI versions of Unison, but I think it would be
okay.  Since I don't use the GUI myself, it would probably be better to have a
different maintainer for it, someone who uses it.

When you're ready to start, let's discuss on this list.  First step would be to
package LablGTK.  I took Yaakov's work from ports and reworked it some, and the
result works with a few minor problems still to solve.

Andrew

* Re: [ITP] unison2.48
@ 2015-06-12  1:24             ` Michael DePaulo
From: Michael DePaulo @ 2015-06-12  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 8:51 AM, Andrew Schulman
<schulman.andrew@epa.gov> wrote:
>> I will try to package unison2.48gtk when I get a chance; hopefully
>> within the next few weeks.
>
> Thanks for offering to help.  It seems a little odd to have different
> maintainers for the text and GUI versions of Unison, but I think it would be
> okay.  Since I don't use the GUI myself, it would probably be better to have a
> different maintainer for it, someone who uses it.
>
> When you're ready to start, let's discuss on this list.  First step would be to
> package LablGTK.  I took Yaakov's work from ports and reworked it some, and the
> result works with a few minor problems still to solve.
>
> Andrew

Right now, I'd like to at least take a look at what you have done so far.

Can you the cygport files on public git repos, such as on GitHub?

Also, I am mikedep333 on IRC.

-Mike

* lablgtk2 (was: [ITP] unison2.48)
@ 2015-06-12  7:54               ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-06-12  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> Right now, I'd like to at least take a look at what you have done so far.

OK, pushed to https://github.com/andrex-e-schulman/cygwin-lablgtk2.git.  I
started with the version in Cygwin ports - the cygport file and two patches.  I
adjusted the cygport file as follows:

* Added ocaml_lablgtk2_REQUIRES and DEPEND.

* Replaced $OCAML_LIB_DIR (I think it was) by usr/lib/ocaml.

* Changed ocaml_install (which I can't find anywhere) to "make old-install
DESTDIR=${D}".

With those changes, the packages (7 of them) build fine.  There are two
problems:

* cygport warns that a few files haven't been installed into any of the
packages.

* I had to remove ocaml-lablgtkgl2 from the build, because there's currently no
gtkglarea2.0-devel package in Cygwin to build against.

That's as far as I got.  You're welcome to take it from there.

Andrew

* Re: lablgtk2 (was: [ITP] unison2.48)
@ 2015-06-12 19:41                 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-06-12 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, 2015-06-12 at 03:54 -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> OK, pushed to https://github.com/andrex-e-schulman/cygwin-lablgtk2.git.  I
> started with the version in Cygwin ports - the cygport file and two patches.  I
> adjusted the cygport file as follows:
>
> * Added ocaml_lablgtk2_REQUIRES and DEPEND.

Was something missing from the autogenerated requires?

> * Replaced $OCAML_LIB_DIR (I think it was) by usr/lib/ocaml.
> * Changed ocaml_install (which I can't find anywhere) to "make old-install
> DESTDIR=${D}".

These are both provided by ocaml.cygclass.

> * cygport warns that a few files haven't been installed into any of the
> packages.

Those would just be files related to deprecated libraries which we
wouldn't support (namely gtksourceview 1.x and libgnomeprint).  Those
could be added to PKG_IGNORE for clarity.

> * I had to remove ocaml-lablgtkgl2 from the build, because there's currently no
> gtkglarea2.0-devel package in Cygwin to build against.

There is, libgtkgl2.0-devel.

> That's as far as I got.  You're welcome to take it from there.

OK, I went ahead and moved ocaml-lablgtk2 and ocaml-lablgl into the
distro.

--
Yaakov

* Re: lablgtk2 (was: [ITP] unison2.48)
@ 2015-06-12 20:40                   ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-06-12 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> On Fri, 2015-06-12 at 03:54 -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > OK, pushed to https://github.com/andrex-e-schulman/cygwin-lablgtk2.git.  I
> > started with the version in Cygwin ports - the cygport file and two patches.  I
> > adjusted the cygport file as follows:
> >
> > * Added ocaml_lablgtk2_REQUIRES and DEPEND.
>
> Was something missing from the autogenerated requires?

Yes, IIRC none of them included ocaml.  So I added
ocaml_lablgtk2_REQUIRES=ocaml.

Also, all of the autogenerated requires included all of the -devel packages -
about a dozen of them.  Which is undesirable and seems wrong, since then anyone
who installed unison-gtk for example would need to have all of those -devel
packages too.

> > * Replaced $OCAML_LIB_DIR (I think it was) by usr/lib/ocaml.
> > * Changed ocaml_install (which I can't find anywhere) to "make old-install
> > DESTDIR=${D}".
>
> These are both provided by ocaml.cygclass.

Ah, thanks.  I guess I moved the "inherit ocaml" too far down in the file.

> > * cygport warns that a few files haven't been installed into any of the
> > packages.
>
> Those would just be files related to deprecated libraries which we
> wouldn't support (namely gtksourceview 1.x and libgnomeprint).  Those
> could be added to PKG_IGNORE for clarity.
>
> > * I had to remove ocaml-lablgtkgl2 from the build, because there's currently no
> > gtkglarea2.0-devel package in Cygwin to build against.
>
> There is, libgtkgl2.0-devel.

OK, I think I got that mixed up with gtkglarea.

> > That's as far as I got.  You're welcome to take it from there.
>
> OK, I went ahead and moved ocaml-lablgtk2 and ocaml-lablgl into the
> distro.

Well that simplifies things. Thanks.

@ 2015-06-12 21:31                     ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-06-12 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, 2015-06-12 at 16:40 -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > On Fri, 2015-06-12 at 03:54 -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > > OK, pushed to https://github.com/andrex-e-schulman/cygwin-lablgtk2.git.  I
> > > started with the version in Cygwin ports - the cygport file and two patches.  I
> > > adjusted the cygport file as follows:
> > >
> > > * Added ocaml_lablgtk2_REQUIRES and DEPEND.
> >
> > Was something missing from the autogenerated requires?
>
> Yes, IIRC none of them included ocaml.

Hmm, I'll have to look into that, although practically speaking I don't
think it's much of a concern.

> Also, all of the autogenerated requires included all of the -devel packages -
> about a dozen of them.  Which is undesirable and seems wrong, since then anyone
> who installed unison-gtk for example would need to have all of those -devel
> packages too.

No they wouldn't, no more than anyone installing unison has to install
ocaml.

While ocaml has the toplevel system for use as a script interpreter and
runtime system for bytecode interpretation, the primary practical use of
ocaml (on platforms which support it) is as a native code compiler.  On
these platforms, ocaml *programs* are generally native-compiled for much
better performance, and such use requires -devel packages.

This is particularly true on x86_64-cygwin, where we don't have flexdll
working yet (although upstream is making progress), which severely
limits the usefulness of bytecode interpretation.

> > > * Replaced $OCAML_LIB_DIR (I think it was) by usr/lib/ocaml.
> > > * Changed ocaml_install (which I can't find anywhere) to "make old-install
> > > DESTDIR=${D}".
> >
> > These are both provided by ocaml.cygclass.
>
> Ah, thanks.  I guess I moved the "inherit ocaml" too far down in the file.

inherit commands are intended to be at the top of the .cygport, preceded
only by variables that are required thereby (as indicated in the
manual).

--
Yaakov

* Re: lablgtk2 (was: [ITP] unison2.48)
@ 2015-06-12 21:52                       ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-06-12 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

OK. So IOW the only thing I probably did that helped was to add DEPEND (but
gtkglarea2.0-devel shouldn't be in it).

DEPEND="
    ocaml
    ocaml-compiler-libs